Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

manshay wrote: »
    It depends on the spec of the car. My 141 VW Passat didn't have it but it was mentioned in the manual as an option..

The stickers work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

manshay wrote: »
    It depends on the spec of the car. My 141 VW Passat didn't have it but it was mentioned in the manual as an option..
    2010 A5 here and it's in the setting for me, so the options go back that far

Quazzie wrote: »
    2010 A5 here and it's in the setting for me, so the options go back that far

Is it just a matter of throwing a switch or do you have to get down and dirty?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

First Up wrote: »
    Is it just a matter of throwing a switch or do you have to get down and dirty?
    On mine it's in the car settings in the radio.

Quazzie wrote:
    On mine it's in the car settings in the radio.

Strange place to put it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

Anybody been to french campsites in June that have site-run kids clubs? NOT EUROCAMP/OR EQUIVALENT! We're going to book in direct to a few campsites in 2018. I have a feeling Les Ormes in Brittany had it, but because we were with eurocamp at the time, we never used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

Juggler101 wrote:
    Anybody been to french campsites in June that have site-run kids clubs? NOT EUROCAMP/OR EQUIVALENT! We're going to book in direct to a few campsites in 2018. I have a feeling Les Ormes in Brittany had it, but because we were with eurocamp at the time, we never used it.

We stayed with Siblu (Le Bois Masson) this year and thought their kids club was superior to Eurocamp, which we've used twice (including Les Ormes).

Our 6 year old loved the Siblu camp, and they had a supervised play room for our 3 year old. Staff working there were far more engaged and enthusiastic than Eurocamp kids couriers. Really made an effort to get to know the kids. Was concerned about language issues as most of the kids were French, but camp was fully bilingual.

I feel that a big difference is that the staff working in kids camps in Siblu are visible to campsite management who hire/fire them, whereas those with Eurocamp have a bit more autonomy.

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with Eurocamp kids clubs, it's just that I found Siblu to be better in this respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Peckham wrote: »
    We stayed with Siblu (Le Bois Masson) this year and thought their kids club was superior to Eurocamp, which we've used twice (including Les Ormes).

Our 6 year old loved the Siblu camp, and they had a supervised play room for our 3 year old. Staff working there were far more engaged and enthusiastic than Eurocamp kids couriers. Really made an effort to get to know the kids. Was concerned about language issues as most of the kids were French, but camp was fully bilingual.

I feel that a big difference is that the staff working in kids camps in Siblu are visible to campsite management who hire/fire them, whereas those with Eurocamp have a bit more autonomy.

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with Eurocamp kids clubs, it's just that I found Siblu to be better in this respect.

Siblu children camps are brillant, my kids loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Juggler101 wrote: »

We stayed in Les Mouettes this year and our five year old didn't want to leave the kids club.

We'd normally drive into nearby towns during the days for a walk around and a crepe but she loved the kids club so much we didn't need to.

We stayed in Les Mouettes this year and our five year old didn't want to leave the kids club.

We'd normally drive into nearby towns during the days for a walk around and a crepe but she loved the kids club so much we didn't need to.

Was that in June flangemeistro? We were there a few years ago with Euro camp, it would be nice to use turn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Juggler101 wrote: »
    Was that in June flangemeistro? We were there a few years ago with Euro camp, it would be nice to use turn!

Ya it was in June, we did a week in La Pont St Gilles in Benodet followed by a week in Les Mouettes.

The Eurocamp kids club in Benodet wasn't even comparable to the French run one in Carantec.

Ya it was in June, we did a week in La Pont St Gilles in Benodet followed by a week in Les Mouettes.

The Eurocamp kids club in Benodet wasn't even comparable to the French run one in Carantec.

That's great to know, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GeneralSherman

Hi all
    Can I just clarify please if any of ye Irish Ferries to France regulars received a discount code in your email yet ?.
    Thanks folks.

Hi all
    Can I just clarify please if any of ye Irish Ferries to France regulars received a discount code in your email yet ?.
    Thanks folks.

Code is FC18A for 15% off in 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GeneralSherman

Cheers Juggler101, thanks !

Is there an expiry date for it ?. I am still working on confirming our dates.

Cheers Juggler101, thanks !

Is there an expiry date for it ?. I am still working on confirming our dates.

It says to book before Sept 27th. Happy holiday planning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Can you book irish ferries one way?
    i.e. book Rosslare to cherbourg now in July 2018 and book the return from Dublin once the Dublin July routes are released in mid October?

I am towing a big beaut of a touring caravan and I am trying to mimise the driving!

Deeman83 wrote:
    Can you book irish ferries one way? i.e. book Rosslare to cherbourg now in July 2018 and book the return from Dublin once the Dublin July routes are released in mid October?

Sure. Each sailing is priced seperately. I've gone into Cherbourg and out of Roscoff and vice versa. Plenty of people sail one way only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭benny79

So heading to Domaine Des Ormes tomorrow First time aboard with my young lad and doing this type of holiday as mentioned previous.. The excitement in my young lad is like Christmas x 100 :D I even feel like a kid myself on 1 big adventure! ..lol.. been a few years since I had a proper holiday!

So Bag packed
    Sharp knife
    a few clean cloths
    small shop done tea/cereal/salt/pepper

Bought first aid kit/triangle/bulbs
    have ref's + passport..

Staying in a Safari tent so sheets/duvet provided

Thats all I need is it??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Original vehicle registration cert/log book.

Insurance cert, not just the disk on the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭benny79

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Original vehicle registration cert/log book.

Insurance cert, not just the disk on the screen.

You dont need this anyone I heard who travelled were never asked for this.

That's ok, Benny. I had heard somewhere that the police could ask for them if manning a checkpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

I have been asked for the insurance cert at some border crossings, but not yet in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    That's ok, Benny. I had heard somewhere that the police could ask for them if manning a checkpoint.

Can and do. "Papiers de véhicule, s'il vous plait" is the very first thing they'll say if they decide to stop you - at a checkpoint or anywhere else. It's a legal requirement; I don't know why so many people think it's fine to chance driving without essential documentation just because they've never met anyone who's been stopped and searched. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Can and do. "Papiers de véhicule, s'il vous plait" is the very first thing they'll say if they decide to stop you - at a checkpoint or anywhere else. It's a legal requirement; I don't know why so many people think it's fine to chance driving without essential documentation just because they've never met anyone who's been stopped and searched. :mad:

yeah, i was always of the understanding that you need your full insurance cert and also your vehicle registration cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Anyone travelling in Europe without their documents are asking for trouble. I know a few people who have been asked for documents in France. Logbook, Full Insurance cert and License at a minimum should be in the car at all times. One person in particular I know was held up for a few hours while he contacted his insurer to get a copy of his cert emailed out to him. French Police don't take any sh1te so make sure you have your stuff in order.

Don't forget the other French laws regarding warning triangle/Hi vis which needs to be inside the car and no in the boot.. Ive seen checkpoints near the ferry checking these very things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

I also bring our favourite large mugs (for relaxing morning coffees), decent scissors, soap, toilet roll.

Someone also suggested screwdriver set and duct tape for any quick repairs needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Any good campsite recommendations further south of Brittany. Thinking of a two stop holiday this year. Domains des ormes and somewhere further south, carnac, vendee, st John des monts
    I am trying to limit the driving to less than 3 hrs south of domains des ormes as I am towing a Caravan.

Kids are 5 3 and 1!
    Beaches, marinas, good pool and park are all ideal. Good cycling routes very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Deeman83 wrote: »
    Any good campsite recommendations further south of Brittany. Thinking of a two stop holiday this year. Domains des ormes and somewhere further south, carnac, vendee, st John des monts
    I am trying to limit the driving to less than 3 hrs south of domains des ormes as I am towing a Caravan.

Kids are 5 3 and 1!
    Beaches, marinas, good pool and park are all ideal. Good cycling routes very welcome.

Île de Ré especially if looking for good cycling routes.

• Advertisement

Just a last minute thought, have you checked the wheel wrench and Jack?
    Our Ducato came with neither, so bought a 3/4 inch drive socket and T bar, plus a 4 ton jack.
    Motorhomes need a very high lift Jack, as you lift the body a good deal to get the wheel off the ground. You cannot Jack under the rear axle, because the wheel ends up behind the bodywork and you can't get it off.

Edit, perhaps you are bring a car!

Advertisement