Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Next summer, we’re adding a new ferry to our fleet, she will be the biggest to sail the Irish Sea. Routes and schedule will be announced in October and needless to say we are very excited. But first; she needs a name...

Ulysses, Wilde, Swift. We’ve got some of Ireland’s biggest literary names in our fleet. Now is your chance to become part of a great tradition, and help us find an Irish literary inspired name for our new ship. Be in with a chance to Win Free Travel for life with us. And 20 other great prizes too!

http://www.bigshipbigname.com

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

It has to be the Seamus Heaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Deeman83 wrote: »
    It has to be the Seamus Heaney.

should be a woman, ships are female after all. Not sure who though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I entered with "The Maria Edgeworth"

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Reported. Disgraceful sexism on show ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Not a literary figure but 'the Ted crilly' gets my vote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

Boaty McBoatface

I'll get my coat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Think of doing an off season  (Jan  or Feb perhaps) wine run, 1 car 2 passengers , 2 cabins , Ireland to France
    Is there a scanner for best ferry fare .  Can travel from Dublin or Wexford ports

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If its just a wine run, why get cabins?
    Would 2 seats in the lounge not suffice?
    Save the money for better/more wine!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

k123456 wrote: »
    Think of doing an off season  (Jan  or Feb perhaps) wine run, 1 car 2 passengers , 2 cabins , Ireland to France
    Is there a scanner for best ferry fare .  Can travel from Dublin or Wexford ports

Just check the Irish Ferries and Stena websites for best options. They are the only two. The Oscar Wilde usually goes into dry dock in January.

I don't recommend a same day wine run, especially in winter. You can be delayed and not have enough time ashore before the return sailing. Best plan might be to go one way with IF and the other with Stena, spending one night in Cherbourg.

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If its just a wine run, why get cabins?
    Would 2 seats in the lounge not suffice?
    Save the money for better/more wine!

Two nights at sea in a lounge seat is no fun. No shower, no change of clothes... Get a cabin and enjoy the trip. Prices in winter are good value and you'll save enough on the wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

And do you really need 2 separate cabins unless you're going with a friend's wife or something?
    You could share a nice roomy 3* outside 2 berth on the OW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

josip wrote: »
    And do you really need 2 separate cabins unless you're going with a friend's wife or something?
    You could share a nice roomy 3* outside 2 berth on the OW.
    Going with the father in law who snores extremely loudly :), so yes two cabins

If you're on the Oscar Wilde, you'll hear him if he's in the adjacent cabin.
    Best to book 2 different classes of cabin to increase your chances of separation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Ah come on. If he's that bad just have a few shots of whiskey before you go to bed and buy a pair of foam earplugs. They even sell them in the shop onboard!!

Better not book him a sleeper seat in the Lounge so!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Going to book again in the next few days, just need to look at times etc.  Both times on the OW Ive been sent up to the top deck in the car, this years though Im not sure whether it was because the car was heavier we bottomed out as we reached the top of the ramp causing a fair bit of scraping and grinding.  It happened both ways up and down and I was driving vvv slowly.  Save causing anymore damage can you request the lower deck with the higher vehicles to prevent it?

mikerd4 wrote: »
    Going to book again in the next few days, just need to look at times etc.  Both times on the OW Ive been sent up to the top deck in the car, this years though Im not sure whether it was because the car was heavier we bottomed out as we reached the top of the ramp causing a fair bit of scraping and grinding.  It happened both ways up and down and I was driving vvv slowly.  Save causing anymore damage can you request the lower deck with the higher vehicles to prevent it?

I know you can book a quick exit spot (for a fee) and I think they are positioned right by the door. Easiest to call them. Were you very heavily laden? I assume it wasn't caused by wine you bought if you had the problem on the way over too.

Happened both ways, I was really really careful on the way back given the extra weight of the wine etc.  I think its just the length of my car/distance between tyres and the angle of the ramp.  Ive never had the same issue on the Ulysees

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Happened both ways, I was really really careful on the way back given the extra weight of the wine etc.  I think its just the length of my car/distance between tyres and the angle of the ramp.  Ive never had the same issue on the Ulysees

Ramps on Ulysses and Brittany's Pont Aven are a different angle and easier to use. Also on pont aven if you are later in the queue they get you to drive onto ramp and hold and they raise the ramp to meet the upper level. Usually two long cars and one short one in each of two lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

Ryanair fares have appeared on the website for summer 2018. They may be testing as some have disappeared again

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

That's mad, we've always been okay in MPV's on the ramp. What are you driving?

Juggler101 wrote: »
    That's mad, we've always been okay in MPV's on the ramp. What are you driving?

Most MPVs have little or no overhang out the back.
    The weight of a load in the boot sits above the rear axle rather than behind it.
    In a lot of saloon type cars, and I'd include hatchbacks such as Octavias in this, there's a lot of weight behind the rear axle, and they sit much lower to the ground than an MPV when loaded.

A mercedes cls so there is a fair length between the 2 wheels..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭benny79

Wheres a good spot 2 pick up wine when leaving France heading to cheoburg from domaine des ormes? Weather is **** by the way.. First time here and hardly anything open 2-3 activities a day even if that all restaurants closed apart from pizzeria which only opens at 7! Really disappointed in the place hav lodged a complaint along with many others!

By the way before booking i rang the camp site and was told that everything be open apart from kids clubs..

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

I was thinking about the whole family going on a camping holiday in France, but was worried about the weather since it was awful when I went to France this year, so decided to keep an eye on it for the entire summer.

Dear God it was awful weather in France for the whole summer apart from maybe a week.

Now I was only looking as far south as la rochelle as thats where the others planned to go.

Anyone who was in France this summer, where were you and how was the weather for you and when?

Maybe I can convince the others to go further south if the chances of rain are reduced there.

First week in July, La Rochelle (La Tranche Sur Mer), then Pyrenees, finally Cape D'Agde.
    Cool in La Rochelle (25C), Warm and Sunny in Pyrenees (30C), very pleasant at Cape D'Agde (32C)

2 years ago we did La Rochelle and Cape D'Agde also in the first week in July but that coincided with a heatwave.
    La Rochelle was 30C and perfect. Cape D'Agde was 35C+. Anything not at the water's edge was uncomfortable.

If you're going mainly for beach and pool then I'd head to the Med for reliability.
    If you're doing non-water based activities I wouldn't go much further south than La Rochelle in case it was too hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

josip wrote: »
    First week in July, La Rochelle (La Tranche Sur Mer), then Pyrenees, finally Cape D'Agde.
    Cool in La Rochelle (25C), Warm and Sunny in Pyrenees (30C), very pleasant at Cape D'Agde (32C)

2 years ago we did La Rochelle and Cape D'Agde also in the first week in July but that coincided with a heatwave.
    La Rochelle was 30C and perfect. Cape D'Agde was 35C+. Anything not at the water's edge was uncomfortable.

If you're going mainly for beach and pool then I'd head to the Med for reliability.
    If you're doing non-water based activities I wouldn't go much further south than La Rochelle in case it was too hot.

Thanks.
    Actually, I never thought of it being too hot :) That could be a worse problem for some of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I was thinking about the whole family going on a camping holiday in France, but was worried about the weather since it was awful when I went to France this year, so decided to keep an eye on it for the entire summer.

Dear God it was awful weather in France for the whole summer apart from maybe a week.

Now I was only looking as far south as la rochelle as thats where the others planned to go.

Anyone who was in France this summer, where were you and how was the weather for you and when?

Maybe I can convince the others to go further south if the chances of rain are reduced there.

Weather was great in the Vendee, st jean de monts. We were in Paris for a week first with similar weather, probably a bit hotter. Normally between 23 and 27. Last week of July first 2 weeks of August. 2 spells of rain at night, one dullish day the rest was sunny. Ive been there when its 35 and it is totally uncomfortable so this year was perfect.

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    Actually, I never thought of it being too hot :) That could be a worse problem for some of them.

If you're going for 2 weeks you could stay northish for the first week and head further south for the 2nd week.
    After a week of acclimatising, the hotter temps would be more bearable.

Advertisement