Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

juneg wrote: »
    I know that. I meant do they have a sale on Summer prices in the month of January
    Not in my experience.
    Only discount offers I’ve ever seen with them is if you book your entire holiday with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lfcgirl

Juggler101 wrote: »
    Just checked out the prices for a pitch, looks quite reasonable! Did you find it good value? If my french is to be relied upon, it looks like the smaller pitch is only €20 per night in early June (for 2017 anyway), and kids under 7 are free at that time! Was there any hidden charges? Electric free?

That looks about right for early June - we're paying about €500 for 2 weeks in July. There were no additional charges, just a €20 refundable deposit for the entry fob......

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

lfcgirl wrote: »
    That looks about right for early June - we're paying about €500 for 2 weeks in July. There were no additional charges, just a €20 refundable deposit for the entry fob......

Good stuff! I was going to stick to ACSI sites, but for only €20, I could be persuaded to come here, it looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Crank Stain

Spent this year in Le Clarys Plage but Litterol looks like a good option for next year.

Did you book direct with Yelloh? Not any availability on other sites or much date options with Kelair. Must be either very popular or they hold back dates.

Also - looks like not all mobiles come with BBQ's. Can you hire decent size gas ones from reception?

BBQ's come as standard with Kelair/Eurocamp vans but have to be rented if you book direct with Yelloh. We went with Kelair and had a bbq but friends who booked direct said bbq’s were hard to get. BBQing wasn’t that popular when we were there, we only used ours twice in the 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

lfcgirl wrote: »
    Just checked out the prices for a pitch, looks quite reasonable! Did you find it good value? If my french is to be relied upon, it looks like the smaller pitch is only €20 per night in early June (for 2017 anyway), and kids under 7 are free at that time! Was there any hidden charges? Electric free?

What are the pitches like at Le Clarys? Serviced with water and wastewater direct connections?
    I believe there are only 18 pitches for caravans the other few hundred for the statics.

• Advertisement

I was referring to La Littoral!
    Deeman83 wrote: »
    What are the pitches like at Le Clarys? Serviced with water and wastewater direct connections?
    I believe there are only 18 pitches for caravans the other few hundred for the statics.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

BBQ's come as standard with Kelair/Eurocamp vans but have to be rented if you book direct with Yelloh. We went with Kelair and had a bbq but friends who booked direct said bbq’s were hard to get. BBQing wasn’t that popular when we were there, we only used ours twice in the 2 weeks.

Thanks for that. I bbq every day if can get away with it on holidays - so a BBQ is as important to me as a water slide is to the kids.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lfcgirl

Thanks for that. I bbq every day if can get away with it on holidays - so a BBQ is as important to me as a water slide is to the kids.:)
    We are the same- live from the BBQ - so we bring our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Same here. I BBQ once a day on average, either lunch or dinner.

How do people pay the french campsites direct? Card over the phone or by international bank transfer?
    It all seems very complex with IBAN numbers and other codes rather than the normal account number and sort code!

• Advertisement

How do people pay the french campsites direct? Card over the phone or by international bank transfer?
    It all seems very complex with IBAN numbers and other codes rather than the normal account number and sort code!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭WicklowTiger

BBQ hire was €7 per day at La Littoral this year. Having said that a day seems to be 24 hours so if you time it right can get away with two dinners for one day's rental. We hired one two or three times, never an issue getting one, but they are low on the ground ones. Charcoal is apparently strictly forbidden, but saw a few people using them and it didn't seem to be a problem.

Forbidden charcoal, how strange! I've only been in Eurocamp sites up to now, and it's up to you how you use the BBQ! Tastes much better with charcoal...
    BBQ hire was €7 per day at La Littoral this year. Having said that a day seems to be 24 hours so if you time it right can get away with two dinners for one day's rental. We hired one two or three times, never an issue getting one, but they are low on the ground ones. Charcoal is apparently strictly forbidden, but saw a few people using them and it didn't seem to be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

Hi all,

Has anyone stayed Village de la Guyonniere in the Vendee? Thinking seriously of booking this site for next summer.

Will be camping in a tent with wife and two kids aged 3 and 5. The facilities look good and the pitches are larger than in the other campsites i have looked at in the Vendee - averaging at 225msq according to the website.

Would be interested to see if anyone has any reviews of the site or other useful thoughts or information.

Feck that for a game of cowboys, that's just under €100 for a 2 week holiday!!

My advice is make sure a bbq is included in your rental fee. If it's not, negotiate it in. It's BS that you have to pay extra for a bbq.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Feck that for a game of cowboys, that's just under €100 for a 2 week holiday!!

My advice is make sure a bbq is included in your rental fee. If it's not, negotiate it in. It's BS that you have to pay extra for a bbq.

BBQ is as much a part of the holiday as the swimming pool! And at that price you could probably buy one cheaper in a local gifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

A bit of speculation here now but do you think that the epsilon bookings for France will just be transferred to the WB Yeats? Would you book now on that basis? I love the name by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

whats going to happen to the epsilon after yeats starts?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

juneg wrote: »
    A bit of speculation here now but do you think that the epsilon bookings for France will just be transferred to the WB Yeats? Would you book now on that basis? I love the name by the way

Can't book for Dublin - France departures in July 2018 yet and I think that's when its due to start sailing. Think the Epsilon is going to do UK routes? I might have imagined reading that someplace.

I've a booking made for Rosslare already but will change to Dublin I think - whenever they finally come available!

Thanks for info above on BBQs - bit of a deal breaker for me but Le Littoral does look good otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

We booked direct this so year and there was a small takeaway on site, no oven or bbq included...go figure��. I asked on arrival and was told it was €7 a night but they didn't have any. They only had 10 for the whole site. I asked could we buy our own and they said no problem. We kicked up and got one after 2 days but we're only getting it for three days. I cleaned it when we were finished and they never took it away for the remaining 10 days! Next year I'll book with a company, they all have ovens, bbqs and sunbeds, not that we get much use out of them.

Re the charcoal bbq, I don't think they are allowed anywhere in vendee probably cos a stray hot ash could disintegrate a tent in seconds.

• Advertisement

webpal wrote: »
    Re the charcoal bbq, I don't think they are allowed anywhere in vendee probably cos a stray hot ash could disintegrate a tent in seconds.

I see your reasoning, but having been in Brittany, Vendee, Loire and Dordogne the last 3 years, I've never seen any 'directives' on how to use the BBQ!

I see your reasoning, but having been in Brittany, Vendee, Loire and Dordogne the last 3 years, I've never seen any 'directives' on how to use the BBQ!

In almost 10 years at various campsites in the Vendee, Charante Maritime and Aquitaine I can say I've never been given anything other than a gas BBQ. I've seen some charcoal BBQ's on the pitches of private owners and I believe some sites who don't permit BBQ'ing on individual pitches set up communal BBQ locations which are Charcoal driven but generally speaking you should expect a gas BBQ on your pitch and make sure it's included in your rental price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Down in the south, I've never seen anything other than a charcoal barbeque. The only "rules" as such are that you don't use them when its very windy. Couldn't have a holiday there without one tbh. They're a huge part of the holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

On a site in the south of France Ive been to several times they dont allow charcoal or gas bbq's.  They only allow the electric element type due to fire hazards in the area

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

For many years now with both Canvas and Eurocamp, we've always had charcoal BBQs.
    The only restriction was one Eurocamp campsite in the Dordogne who wouldn't give us something to make coffee (either a cafetière or a plastic yoke for holding the paper filters).
    The English couriers told us that it apparently was a safety issue in place across all Eurocamp sites.
    Thankfully we had brought a plastic yoke so my adiction would be allowed to continue.

Anyhow, on our way home we stayed overnight in the campsite beside Chambord and I checked with the courier there about it - as I had guessed, they didn't know what "rule" I was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

But there was a kettle I'll bet..? That's a strange one alright. We've been with Eurocamp for years and always had a cafetière supplied. Couldn't survive without one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Anatom wrote: »
    But there was a kettle I'll bet..? That's a strange one alright. We've been with Eurocamp for years and always had a cafetière supplied. Couldn't survive without one!!

I've been to sites with no kettle. Always have my little travel kettle on call:)

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Two things that are part n parcel of all our trips to France to date : being able to sit out in the morning with a coffee and doing a few bbq's for dinner during our stay. Seriously though a kettle would be an essential to most, not just an item on the equipment list.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/northern-ireland-caravan-couple-drugged-and-robbed-at-french-campsite-36219039.html

Campervan couple drugged and robbed at french campsite. Be vigilant folks. Its the stuff of nightmares that most people dimiss as urban legend,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Deeman83 wrote: »
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/northern-ireland-caravan-couple-drugged-and-robbed-at-french-campsite-36219039.html

Campervan couple drugged and robbed at french campsite. Be vigilant folks. Its the stuff of nightmares that most people dimiss as urban legend,
    It must have been a terrible experience for the people involved, but I think it's worth pointing out that this doesn't in fact seem to have been a campsite. It's a motorway stopover, and those have certainly been targeted by criminal gangs in recent years.

Advertisement