Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

volchitsa wrote: »
    It must have been a terrible experience for the people involved, but I think it's worth pointing out that this doesn't in fact seem to have been a campsite. It's a motorway stopover, and those have certainly been targeted by criminal gangs in recent years.

It's likely this or similar was the public Aire (camper friendly lay-by) that they were using.

Completely different to the campsites 99% of the people on this thread use.

Aire = public lay-by with campervan / caravan friendly facilities (water, electric, sewage etc) you rent by the night and typically cannot stay more than 3/4 nights in the same location as they are designed to facilitate people on touring holidays.

"Campsite" as it relates to this thread = privately run family oriented facility 90% of which are static mobiles rented out for 1-2-3 weeks at a time with onsite entertainment, onsite shopping, onsite restaurant/bar and onsite security and facility management.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

volchitsa wrote: »
    It must have been a terrible experience for the people involved, but I think it's worth pointing out that this doesn't in fact seem to have been a campsite. It's a motorway stopover, and those have certainly been targeted by criminal gangs in recent years.

It's likely this or similar was the public Aire (camper friendly lay-by) that they were using.  

Completely different to the campsites 99% of the people on this thread use.  

Aire = public lay-by with campervan / caravan friendly facilities (water, electric, sewage etc) you rent by the night and typically cannot stay more than 3/4 nights in the same location as they are designed to facilitate people on touring holidays.

"Campsite" as it relates to this thread = privately run family oriented facility 90% of which are static mobiles rented out for 1-2-3 weeks at a time with onsite entertainment, onsite shopping, onsite restaurant/bar and onsite security and facility management.
    Thanks for that. So they stopped at a Motorway services station resting place.
    SOunds risky. I have heard numerous stories about gasing at these motorway services but not injection with drugs? :'(

Deeman83 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. So they stopped at a Motorway services station resting place.
    SOunds risky. I have heard numerous stories about gasing at these motorway services but not injection with drugs? :'(

Not necessarily a motorway service station. Some Aires are more like picnic areas nowhere near a service station and some are located in rural or seaside locations which can be very picturesque.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Not necessarily a motorway service station. Some Aires are more like picnic areas nowhere near a service station and some are located in rural or seaside locations which can be very picturesque.[/quote

Equally some are just picnic areas on the side of the motorway and are relatively isolated from any other source of assistance.

westgolf wrote: »
    Equally some are just picnic areas on the side of the motorway and are relatively isolated from any other source of assistance.

Correct and you'd need your head examined if you decided to stay there overnight. Those places are designed for quick pit stops for toilet/picnic/nap during the day and if absolutely necessary at night. Pulling into such an isolated spot in your (relatively) swanky campervan when you're in your late 50's with just you and your Missus on board is nuts. You might as well hang a big sign on the door saying

"Easy middle aged tourists with laptops, watches, phones, jewellery, cash etc on board"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Juggler101 wrote: »
    That is frightening!

Again at the side of a road. Just pay the bloody money to park in a proper campsite over night.!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Well we are off to la carabasse next year. Siblu gave us a very healthy loyalty discount to make it a no brainer. Going to visit carcasonne, toulousse and il de re (loved it there last year and the local wine we bought was amazing) on the way home.

Wrt that gassing story. 17k stolen methinks a large holiday insurance claim is being made........

mikerd4 wrote: »
    Well we are off to la carabasse next year. Siblu gave us a very healthy loyalty discount to make it a no brainer. Going to visit carcasonne, toulousse and il de re (loved it there last year and the local wine we bought was amazing) on the way home.

Wrt that gassing story. 17k stolen methinks a large holiday insurance claim is being made........

We are off there next year also for the first time. Went private hire so we can get what we want in the mobile home and cheaper than Siblu!

Tip for you the next time!! Private is cheaper plus you jknow well in advance what your getting!!

• Advertisement

Tried private last year at another siblu camp. Worked out more expensive overall. Siblu gave us almost 200e off this years booking in a top spec 8 berth. Id be amazed if its any cheaper renting privately given it includes all the fun passes??

Oh and we picked the van we wanted, its à a brand new 2017 model which was also a factor

mikerd4 wrote: »
    Tried private last year at another siblu camp. Worked out more expensive overall. Siblu gave us almost 200e off this years booking in a top spec 8 berth. Id be amazed if its any cheaper renting privately given it includes all the fun passes??

We always found it about 300-500 cheaper for us. Benefits are no extra cost for picking the site and knowing the site from Sept. Most important part for us, is the wash machine and aircon and tv always comes with rental so that saves another 80 euro over two weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

We always found it about 300-500 cheaper for us. Benefits are no extra cost for picking the site and knowing the site from Sept. Most important part for us, is the wash machine and aircon and tv always comes with rental so that saves another 80 euro over two weeks!

How do you go about booking privately?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Carraig77

Wouldn't recommend private. Worked out about €500 more expensive for us. Mobile home was very dated and still no sign of deposit being returned. Spent 4 hours cleaning it before we left ( that didn't bother me but deposit did). Very dusallusioned. Going with siblu next year.

Depends where u going. Google or ask here. Alot go private here. Savings depend on what you would of selected when with siblu.

We always did the top model with three bedrooms, aircon etc with siblu so that added extra cost and pick your pitch charge.

Kelair no longer doing La Pignede for 2018 - which is a shame, looked and sounded like a great site.

My (limited) experience has been very positive. I've had very good communication with the owner. The mobile we hired (and are hiring again next year) is maintained to a high standard, has air con, a washing machine and lot's of extra's you just don't get from the site owned mobiles such as a cupboard full of herbs/spices and utensils you are free to use (we added to the collection by leaving new items we'd bought) etc and we found the owner to be very flexible i.e. our ferry schedule meant we weren't arriving or departing on the fixed changeover day (Saturday) which Siblu typically implement in high season.

This is the site I've used in the past and saved up to 40% off Vs the booking with Siblu and that includes factoring in the additional cost of fun passes etc.

Another similar site is https://www.homeaway.co.uk but whilst there are static mobiles on popular campsites listed it's mostly for renting privately owned holiday villa's and apartments.

If you're interested in La Carabasse this website seems to be set up and run by owners of mobile homes there who are looking to rent them out privately.

Renting privately has it's risks of course in that you have little comeback if the mobile turns out to be not as advertised but if you do your homework and communicate with the owner you should get a feel for the type of person they are and you can then decide if it's worth renting privately Vs from the site operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

A tip for next year - when you're on site, take a walk around and keep an eye out for signs and stickers on windows or signs of mobile homes - generally the privately owned ones are ones with obvious signs of gardening around them, and maybe fancier decoration. its handy to have those email addresses for when you're looking for the following year.

Thanks for the info - I take it with these private rentals, there's no chance to taking part in any of the kids clubs?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info - I take it with these private rentals, there's no chance to taking part in any of the kids clubs?

Of course there is. You usually buy the fun pass for that park, usually at a discount also. Sometimes the private home will have two adult free passes for your stay.

Once you buy a fun pass you have access to the same facilities and same clubs etc as people renting directly from Siblu.

Just a (purely subjective) observation on my part but with Brexit and the devaluation of Sterling I think the amount of UK holidaymakers in 2018 will be well down on 2017. If I'm right demand for the typical campsites we (UK and Irish) like to visit will be well down so there should be discounts on offer from the Siblu's etc and private owners will also be struggling to rent, certainly at the higher prices outside the absolute busiest period.

I spoke to some UK holidaymakers this summer and they were really feeling the extra cost of everything in Euro and were only there because they had booked their 2017 holiday in 2016. The general feeling I got from them was that at current (summer 2017) prices they'd be thinking twice about doing a French campsite holiday in 2018 and would likely try to get better (perceived IMO) value by booking a traditional 'package' holiday in Spain or Greece.

Two years ago UK holiday makers were getting €1.43 for their £1. Now they're getting €1.12, that's a 22% increase in the cost of their French holiday at a time when domestic inflation is below 3%. Easy to see why they'll be thinking twice about their holiday plans for 2018.

Just a (purely subjective) observation on my part but with Brexit and the devaluation of Sterling I think the amount of UK holidaymakers in 2018 will be well down on 2017. If I'm right demand for the typical campsites we (UK and Irish) like to visit will be well down so there should be discounts on offer from the Siblu's etc and private owners will also be struggling to rent, certainly at the higher prices outside the absolute busiest period.

I spoke to some UK holidaymakers this summer and they were really feeling the extra cost of everything in Euro and were only there because they had booked their 2017 holiday in 2016. The general feeling I got from them was that at current (summer 2017) prices they'd be thinking twice about doing a French campsite holiday in 2018 and would likely try to get better (perceived IMO) value by booking a traditional 'package' holiday in Spain or Greece.

Two years ago UK holiday makers were getting €1.43 for their £1. Now they're getting €1.12, that's a 22% increase in the cost of their French holiday at a time when domestic inflation is below 3%. Easy to see why they'll be thinking twice about their holiday plans for 2018.

The other thing about france - lovely and all as it might be, its certainly not what you'd call inexpensive, and most pricing at campsites for even simple things like beers are generally equivalent if not slightly more expensive than what you pay in your local pub,

I remember being a little surprised this year when a pint was 5.50 in la sirene.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The other thing about france - lovely and all as it might be, its certainly not what you'd call inexpensive, and most pricing at campsites for even simple things like beers are generally equivalent if not slightly more expensive than what you pay in your local pub,

I remember being a little surprised this year when a pint was 5.50 in la sirene.

Interesting and useful to know.

We did our first camp holiday this summer past, in Costa Brava, and I found the on-site supermarket very reasonable for pricing.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Interesting and useful to know.

We did our first camp holiday this summer past, in Costa Brava, and I found the on-site supermarket very reasonable for pricing.

you'll do grand if you can get to an aldi or Lidl

if I was to do a like for like comparison

on site shop = local petrol station shop
    super U / Intermarche = Supervalu / Tesco / Dunnes
    Aldi / Lidl = The same as here.

Try €7.50 (IIRC) for a pint of Leffe in La Reserve but then a) you're not really supposed to drink a pint of it and b) it's very strong so one (or a cheeky two) will generally hit the spot :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Just something I was curious about last year, and it kind of relates to what we're talking about here now. When we were in our Mobiles, we had some of our own drink (purchased in Carrefour) and we drank it at our leisure throughout the day/evening etc. Then we'd go down to the bar at night for the shows that were on. We always bought drink from the bar, but were curious would anything be said if we brought our own drink from the mobile with us. There was 2 main reasons we'd like to do it, A. it's considerably cheaper, and B. it was drink we preferred rather than the drink they served which wasn't to our taste.

We didn't see any signs up, but just assumed it was no-no as per usual Irish rules. Anyone have a definitive answer on this?

Quazzie wrote: »
    Just something I was curious about last year, and it kind of relates to what we're talking about here now. When we were in our Mobiles, we had some of our own drink (purchased in Carrefour) and we drank it at our leisure throughout the day/evening etc. Then we'd go down to the bar at night for the shows that were on. We always bought drink from the bar, but were curious would anything be said if we brought our own drink from the mobile with us. There was 2 main reasons we'd like to do it, A. it's considerably cheaper, and B. it was drink we preferred rather than the drink they served which wasn't to our taste.

We didn't see any signs up, but just assumed it was no-no as per usual Irish rules. Anyone have a definitive answer on this?

I think you'd probably be ok with your own bottle of red wine and your own glasses but I wouldn't bother with beer or G&T's etc.

Like you we'd often have some wine and/or beer with our dinner and then wander down to the entertainment area for the show or to just provide the kids with an opportunity to meet other kids and whilst there drink something we wouldn't have in the mobile e.g. cocktails or draft Leffe!!

• Advertisement

Try €7.50 (IIRC) for a pint of Leffe in La Reserve but then a) you're not really supposed to drink a pint of it and b) it's very strong so one (or a cheeky two) will generally hit the spot :p

Same in les charmettes, one or two only.

Advertisement