Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

all booked for July 2018.

Eurocamp Campsite 12 nights €2,264.50
    Ferry €1,314 (Cork/Roscoff)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

What's toulouse airport like?

Looks like we can get our flights for 4 people with bags for 1100, which be brilliant as car rental only 400 there also. Means we get the accommodation for 14 nights in la carabasse, flights and car hire for around 3000!!!!!!

Unless there is something wrong with Toulouse airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

What's toulouse airport like?

Looks like we can get our flights for 4 people with bags for 1100, which be brilliant as car rental only 400 there also. Means we get the accommodation for 14 nights in la carabasse, flights and car hire for around 3000!!!!!!

Unless there is something wrong with Toulouse airport?

Toulouse airport is excellent. We've flown in there a few times, this summer most recently, and are already booked in for next July. Its easy to get around and, more importantly, in and out of. Its also very close to the motorway / main ring road, so access to everywhere is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Looking into booking for next summer, and was wondering about weather.

We went to Costa Brava region this year, weather was great.

Thinking of SW France this year, likely Biarritz area (in July). Am I taking a chance with the weather? Is it very hit and miss with it being on the Atlantic, or is it generally good in July?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

Pricing the ferry (OW out end June and back mid July). Looks pricier than I hoped.

Considering downgrading from 3* cabin to 2* cabin to shave a bit off the price. Have always previously used 3*.

Is there much difference? Family of 5, but kids very young - 7, 4 and 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

NIMAN wrote: »
    Looking into booking for next summer, and was wondering about weather.

We went to Costa Brava region this year, weather was great.

Thinking of SW France this year, likely Biarritz area (in July). Am I taking a chance with the weather? Is it very hit and miss with it being on the Atlantic, or is it generally good in July?

Spent three weeks in La Reserve which is about an hour north of Biarritz in July the last two years and the weather was generally very good. It ranged from cloudy/overcast but warm i.e. low 20's to clear blue sky's and very hot i.e. early to mid 30's. Over the combined 6 weeks I'd say we had 3/4 days where there were intermittent showers and maybe one day of proper rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Peckham wrote: »
    Pricing the ferry (OW out end June and back mid July). Looks pricier than I hoped.

Considering downgrading from 3* cabin to 2* cabin to shave a bit off the price. Have always previously used 3*.

Is there much difference? Family of 5, but kids very young - 7, 4 and 1.

The only difference I could see between the 3* and 2* are the gaps between the beds is a bit narrower in the 2* (might affect you if you want to pop up a cot for the baby) and there isn't a TV in the 2* but then IIRC the TV in the 3* was an old boxy yoke with maybe 5-6 very fuzzy free to air channels most of which are rubbish.

I downgraded from 3* to 2* and used the savings to either have better food or just contribute to the holiday spending money. No one in my party even noticed the difference.

If the 1 year old can share a bed and you want to save a few quid you won't be disappointed with the 2*.

FWIW I still go for the window rather than windowless options which I and the kids find too claustrophobic. That was one saving I didn't repeat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

FWIW I still go for the window rather than windowless options which I and the kids find too claustrophobic. That was one saving I didn't repeat!!

We went with no window this year - and would never do it again. Some savings are a step too far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

AUTOEUROPE currently have a 10% discount on their car hire for next couple of weeks I think,. Easiest way to find it is to go through their facebook page.

Got a Ford Focus for 8 days next June for €180.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

We went with no window this year - and would never do it again. Some savings are a step too far

Interesting. It has never bothered us, although we are not travelling with kids. We just use the cabin for sleeping; if there was a balcony it might be different but the window adds little or nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

Usually 2 star inside for 4 of us.
    I keep the kids out on deck as much as possible. Eat, tired, bed.
    I'll let them watch this the evening before we sail, if they've not been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

We use the cabin for sleeping only. Particularly on the Cork - Roscoff route we find that the evening sailing time, then a bite to eat and maybe an hour in the bar is plenty. The early morning music and announcements means we are normally up and packed up in plenty of time to have breakfast and then queue to head down to the car decks.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

First Up wrote: »
    Didn't think prices had gone up that much. That's a lot.

Ya hadnt thought the same until i logged into the IF app and saw our last hol.. i even thought we got a gd price for 2018 :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

WE did the west coast in La Reserve this year, we wouldnt do it again, the weather is too variable.  We got a lot of really good hot weather but nothing more so than you'd expect in Ireland in the Summer.  The rain was horrific though, chatting to the locals the area is prone to thunderstorms given its position on the atlantic and boy did we get some big storms.
    In fairness though our friends went the beginning of June and had glorious weather so its very hard to judge.  Thats the one good thing about the South of France, you are pretty much guaranteed 30+ Degree everyday, and yes it does rain but not often and not for long.

Just booked a second week in Cote D'Azur for next year. Flights into Nice (3rd August-11th August) were only €111 per person :eek:, so it was too good to turn down.

mikerd4 wrote: »
    WE did the west coast in La Reserve this year, we wouldnt do it again, the weather is too variable. We got a lot of really good hot weather but nothing more so than you'd expect in Ireland in the Summer. The rain was horrific though, chatting to the locals the area is prone to thunderstorms given its position on the atlantic and boy did we get some big storms.
    In fairness though our friends went the beginning of June and had glorious weather so its very hard to judge. Thats the one good thing about the South of France, you are pretty much guaranteed 30+ Degree everyday, and yes it does rain but not often and not for long.

That's my rationale for going to the South as well, and in July. We did one week at the end of June once and it rained the whole week. Once you hit the first of July though its like someone flicks a switch and the heat comes on. We're off again for the first two weeks of July and are guaranteed the heat. I wouldn't go to the west coast in June for the weather! Its great otherwise, but not to lie on a beach! Apart from anything else, I completely disagree with taking the kids out of school that early. That's just my opinion, and I know plenty of people who think its fine, especially when they're younger, but not at the stage mine are at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

What sites would ye go to in the South of France ?

juneg wrote: »

Les Sablons is where we go. I've yet to see anywhere better to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

Anatom wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

La Carabasse, its our first time in south of france, wanted to break the family in slowly with the change, so keeping with Siblu. Les Sablons was an option also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

First Up wrote: »
    Interesting. It has never bothered us, although we are not travelling with kids. We just use the cabin for sleeping; if there was a balcony it might be different but the window adds little or nothing.

Got one with a window once, never again. Cabin was on the same level as the walkway outside so when the curtains were open there was zero privacy:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Got one with a window once, never again. Cabin was on the same level as the walkway outside so when the curtains were open there was zero privacy:o

Im almost positive that those windows are so tinted, you cant see in from the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Any good campsite recommendations for Vendee, Loire region, close to the sea, with decent camping pitches and good for young kids.
    Something similar to le clarys plage?

Le clarys dont take bookings for the camping caravan pitches which is a shame,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

https://en.camping-streetview.com/video/2406/1353/yelloh-village-aloha-serignan-plage-languedoc-roussillon-france

http://www.alohacamping.com/en/index.html

been there 4 times over the years, would love to be going back next summer...... Video was made before the tornado destroyed the reception area and gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Anatom wrote: »

Great spot, loads of safe cycling along the canal to sete also. Just be aware that the pool police are up there with the Stasi!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Got one with a window once, never again. Cabin was on the same level as the walkway outside so when the curtains were open there was zero privacy
    Me too!
    Im almost positive that those windows are so tinted, you cant see in from the outside.

No, if you try looking in, you will find you can see a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

We found the heat excessive while camping / mobile homes over the past few years, and are hoping renting of a house / gites will help - due to stone walls etc...
    We're more than happy to self cater (probably prefer it!).
    Anyone any recommendations for such around north or West coast?
    Anything we need to look out for?
    I had a glance at AirBnB, and there looks like some great options, incl gites with their own pool!
    Any feedback welcome. We were close to ditching our France trip, but hope this opens up new possibilities.
    (we'd also have a 1 year old with us, so apartment not great - small house ideal as parking / buggy needed).

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭raxy

I have booked a trip to France next year & am looking for advice on campsites in Normandy. We'll be going by car & have a 5year old & 2-3 month old.
    I'm looking for people's opinions on campsites. We've found some nice looking campsites but the reviews online are very mixed & making it difficult to choose.
    We'd like a nice pool with some slides & good playground for our daughter. We'd also like to be somewhere with a few places to visit around, either nice towns or sights.
    We'll be budget conscious but haven't set a budget yet but with a 3 month old we don't want to have to do too much driving.
    If anyone has been to any campsites they'd recommend I'd love to hear.
    After camping we'll be driving close to the Belgium border so want a campsite within a few hours drive north from Cherborg but not too far

Interested in any campsites that people would recommend in the Cote D'Azur for families with kids in the 9-13 age bracket.

This year we went to Riviera D'Azur in Frejus, and we liked it, but also open to any other suggestions people might have/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Holiday green in frejus is probably the best site ive been to in France. It really is a brilliant site

Advertisement