Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Used to boat it but flying is way better for us. Car rental is cheap, ford focus is 350 for 2 weeks. Flights were reasonable and now going to South of France for better weather.

No need to worry about the ferry crossing anymore, which is priceless with our youngest and we get a longer stay of two nights instead of two nights on the ferry.

Overall flying and private rental has saved us around a 1000 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Used to boat it but flying is way better for us. Car rental is cheap, ford focus is 350 for 2 weeks. Flights were reasonable and now going to South of France for better weather.

No need to worry about the ferry crossing anymore, which is priceless with our youngest and we get a longer stay of two nights instead of two nights on the ferry.

Overall flying and private rental has saved us around a 1000 euro.
    For the south of France, absolutely. I'd have no appetite for driving the length of the country. We stick to the northern half - Brittany, Normandy, Loire - maybe the Vendee. I think La Rochelle would be my limit and that would be pushing it.

First Up wrote: »
    For the south of France, absolutely. I'd have no appetite for driving the length of the country. We stick to the northern half - Brittany, Normandy, Loire - maybe the Vendee. I think La Rochelle would be my limit and that would be pushing it.

We used to drive about an hour after la Rochelle. Flew last year for first time to the same site. It's a long drive. Want better weather so thats why we are going to South of France.

We used to drive about an hour after la Rochelle. Flew last year for first time to the same site. It's a long drive. Want better weather so thats why we are going to South of France.
    Hope it works out!

Hope it works out!

Probably rain for two weeks:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Natibaby

We are looking to book our first camping holiday in France, we have done it once before in Italy. So far our plan is fly to Carcasonne, stay in La Serignan Plage. Would hiring a car be essential? We are going for a week and the eldest is only 9 so we won't be doing much sightseeing, a couple of days maybe. Any tips would be welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Anyone ever stay here? .camping-cote-dargent.co.uk

In respect to booking a car I see they need a credit card. We don't have a credit card so does anyone know a way around this. What about Ryanair car hire?

I was about to book the whole thing until I noticed this today!!!! :(

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    Anyone ever stay here? .camping-cote-dargent.co.uk

In respect to booking a car I see they need a credit card. We don't have a credit card so does anyone know a way around this. What about Ryanair car hire?

I was about to book the whole thing until I noticed this today!!!! :(
    How do you plan to book with Ryanair?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Just booked our ferry and site!

216 days to go!!!!!

3rd time going to les charmettes, love it there, first 2 weeks in August. Going on the new Dublin-cherbourgh route!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jpm123

Hi Guys quick question about the tesco boost tokens for Irish Ferries. Once you book a trip with them can you then use more boost tokens later on to pay more of the cost off. Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Ferry to Roscoff or Cherbourg shouldn't cost anything like 1600, if you have a bit of flexibility in your sailing dates.

We just booked the middle 2 weeks in August, sailing Dublin to Cherbourg and same route back (sailing out on Sat and back on a Fri). The price for a 4 bed ensuite outside cabin was €906. That’s a really good price. It’s on the new ship too which will be a novelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

Anyone who has booked Irish Ferries and included the Flexibility option, it's worth logging in and checking whether the prices have come down - just did for ours and it was around €60 cheaper - very simple to amend and confirm the new booking, took 2 mins!

I'm sure that €60 would be much better spent on 15 bottles of supermarket wine over there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

Jpm123 wrote: »
    Hi Guys quick question about the tesco boost tokens for Irish Ferries. Once you book a trip with them can you then use more boost tokens later on to pay more of the cost off. Thanks in advance
    I rang them last year and asked and they said it was ok so I booked on the phone with 100 deposit and send them in tokens soon after. A few months later when we had more tokens I sent them in again. As far as I remember the t&cs state you can’t do it but I know many in this forum have, so best to ring them just in case

Anyone who has booked Irish Ferries and included the Flexibility option, it's worth logging in and checking whether the prices have come down - just did for ours and it was around €60 cheaper - very simple to amend and confirm the new booking, took 2 mins!

I'm sure that €60 would be much better spent on 15 bottles of supermarket wine over there. :)
    Get ten better ones.

amor3 wrote: »
    Just booked our ferry and site!

216 days to go!!!!!

3rd time going to les charmettes, love it there, first 2 weeks in August. Going on the new Dublin-cherbourgh route!

First year not going to Les Charmettes and very nervous!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

First year not going to Les Charmettes and very nervous!!!

We holidayed at home last year and I missed it terrible!

Did you book somewhere else??

• Registered Users Posts: 41 otterboy

Heading for interpals campsite in North Eastern Spain in July. has anyone been there it's advertised as being a small camp, quiet, ideal for children but on the website it says a large size with 545 pitches any advice?

amor3 wrote: »
    We holidayed at home last year and I missed it terrible!

Did you book somewhere else??

Yeah after 5 years in Les Charmettes, it felt like home so we are going to the South of France to a siblu campsite but renting a private mobile home.

We rented private last year for the first time in Les Charmettes, it was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dominoe39

Yeah after 5 years in Les Charmettes, it felt like home so we are going to the South of France to a siblu campsite but renting a private mobile home.

We rented private last year for the first time in Les Charmettes, it was good
    average_runner - we are currently looking at siblu further into Southern France as we stayed in La Pignade a few years running. can you let me know what company you booked privately with? and also, are you going to drive or fly?
    thanks.

dominoe39 wrote: »
    average_runner - we are currently looking at siblu further into Southern France as we stayed in La Pignade a few years running. can you let me know what company you booked privately with? and also, are you going to drive or fly?
    thanks.

Hi,

So we are flying into Toulouse as it had the best times for flights and by far the cheapest. Renting a car from there and going to La Carabasse, its a siblu campsite(never here before).

This is the site we used https://lacarabasseparc.wordpress.com/friends-of-la-carabasse/. We are going with David Juster as they have a washng machine in the mobile home.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 dominoe39

thanks, I have just emailed them to enquire about availability. We were looking at La Carabasse also, but with flights and Siblu prices it was working out expensive for 3 of us. Enjoy the hols

thanks, I have just emailed them to enquire about availability. We were looking at La Carabasse also, but with flights and Siblu prices it was working out expensive for 3 of us. Enjoy the hols

I think all the people on that page are good and know each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Oriordad

We have stayed in Bois Masson (2), Les Charmettes, Bonne Anse Plage (2) our favourite, all Siblu over the last number of years. Now looking at La Reserve. Can anyone come back with what this is like in comparison. Flying to Bordeaux so a bit closer also.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

Oriordad wrote: »
    We have stayed in Bois Masson (2), Les Charmettes, Bonne Anse Plage (2) our favourite, all Siblu over the last number of years. Now looking at La Reserve. Can anyone come back with what this is like in comparison. Flying to Bordeaux so a bit closer also.

Trying to figure out where to go this year.

Bonne Anse Plage looks great - we're after waterslides, kids clubs, gas bbq and near the beach - within 6 hour drive from Cherbourg.

But a big factor for the kids is that there's a good amount of Irish kids - or at least English speaking kids. After 3 years on these sites, we loved each holiday but the best craic they has was last year on a Kelair one - with a load of kids they could easily strike up conversations with.

What's Bonne Anse Plage like as regards english speaking kids?? Any ideas?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

otterboy wrote: »
    Heading for interpals campsite in North Eastern Spain in July. has anyone been there it's advertised as being a small camp, quiet, ideal for children but on the website it says a large size with 545 pitches any advice?

545 wouldn’t be large in my opinion, not small either but suffice to say all campsites are ideal for children!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Why do people leave it so late to book??!

Our holiday in la Soleil, argles sur mer would cost an extra 1200 and that’s assuming availability.

My tip for anyone new to camping would be book the site early and keep an eye on flights to get times and price right!

Edit: a lot of the good eurocamp & siblu sites will be gone but you’ll still get mobiles at a decent rate booking direct, but we have found their kids club can be hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Oriordad

I have already booked its just the prices Siblu are offering now are significantly cheaper with discount code so looking at options.

Trying to figure out where to go this year.

Bonne Anse Plage looks great - we're after waterslides, kids clubs, gas bbq and near the beach - within 6 hour drive from Cherbourg.

But a big factor for the kids is that there's a good amount of Irish kids - or at least English speaking kids. After 3 years on these sites, we loved each holiday but the best craic they has was last year on a Kelair one - with a load of kids they could easily strike up conversations with.

What's Bonne Anse Plage like as regards english speaking kids?? Any ideas?

Thanks!

It would have Irish and English there. Led charmettes is similar but bigger. All within 2k of each other but beach further from Lee charmettes.

Also got activities around these areas, horse riding, tree climbing etc.

Kids clubs are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

You can also try this website which has over 30 private owners offering their La Carabasse Mobile Homes for rent which I've used in the past (for other campsites) and found very good - https://www.directholidayhomes.co.uk/carabasse

A lot of the owners are British which means A) their holidays to France have become a lot more expensive with the devaluation of Sterling so they are hurting financially and likely to be using their mobile homes less than previously, B) the cost of maintaining their mobile homes has, in relative terms, increased, C) demand from UK holiday makers for their mobile homes will likely be down this year and D) your Euro rent is going to be worth more to them than in the past.

For all those reasons you should feel free to get pricing from a few and haggle to get the best value deal you can.

Also, January can be a tough time of year financially so someone offering to rent and pay a decent deposit now can be a very attractive proposition!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Oriordad wrote: »

Hi Oriordad,

We too have stayed in Bois Masson 3 years, Bonne Anse Plage 2 year and La Reserve the last 2 years.

Our favourite is La Reserve primarily for the private freshwater beach/lake.

Bonne Anse Plage is IMHO better when you have younger kids with the bike path out back etc so very safe access to the local town and beaches etc and of course the wonderful zoo a La Palmyre plus the whole area is great for exploring on bikes.

Bois Masson is grand but a bit lacking in character. It has a very good restaurant, or did have a few years ago, but the indoor entertainment area was very claustrophobic and I felt a bit of a fire trap. I was never very comfortable when the kids would head to the shows by themselves and always ended up tagging along myself more to want to keep them safe (probably ineffective) than anything else. The great thing about Bois Masson and the park opposite Bois Dormant is that they are on the edge of St Jean de Monts and that's a great beach town full of cafes and restaurants etc with lots of cycle tracks and adventuring along the coast. We were happy there for 3 years but moved down to La Reserve in 2016 because we wanted a change of scenery but also (importantly) because our 15 year old was getting a bit bored and La Reserve has a teenage/young adult Luna Bar (opens at 22:30, is dark, plays music, flashing light and has pool tables etc) where he could hang out at night.

The only downside to La Reserve relative to Bonne Anse Plage and Bois Masson is it is relatively isolated being 8km or so from the nearest town with large supermarket etc which is Parentis en Born (nice market town with good traditional rather than touristy restaurants) and about 17km from the coastal / resort town of Mimizan which is good to visit both during the day and at night but is obviously a lot more touristy. There are cycle paths all through the area but they aren't as scenic as they are around Bonne Anse Plage or Bois Masson.

Bordeaux is a handy airport to get in and out of and about an hour from La Reserve. We've collected friends who came to stay with us the last two years.

Hope that's of some help to you in making your decision.

Advertisement