Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Charliebull

When you're in Paris you might pop into PSG and see if you can get Marco Veratti, Lucas Moura and possibly Julian Draxler to join you on the journey home through the tunnel, up the motorway and dropping them off at Anfield before tipping home from Holyhead. Yeah???

its defenders you boys need

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

its defenders you boys need

More like a defence coach. Defenders they sign are decent but klopp is clueless defensively

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Looking for a place to stop overnight between Rennes and Roscoff.  The obvious spot on the map is St.Brieuc but would like to hear peoples suggestions.  Somewhere that has some nice bars/restaurants etc to enjoy our last night before heading to the ferry.  I dont want a travel lodge on an industrial estate as a stop over if you get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

mikerd4 wrote: »
    Looking for a place to stop overnight between Rennes and Roscoff.  The obvious spot on the map is St.Brieuc but would like to hear peoples suggestions.  Somewhere that has some nice bars/restaurants etc to enjoy our last night before heading to the ferry.  I dont want a travel lodge on an industrial estate as a stop over if you get me?
    Rennes to Roscoff is not much more than a two hour drive so hardly worth a stop but if you insist, St Brieuc looks a nice spot.

I know its not far at all, 2 years ago I drove 6 hrs after my final stop, that doesnt bother me just fancied seeing a little bit of Normandy on the way home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

I know its not far at all, 2 years ago I drove 6 hrs after my final stop, that doesnt bother me just fancied seeing a little bit of Normandy on the way home

Thats a god idea and one I've had in the back of my head for a few years. We always dash through northern France on the way to the campsite and then back again back to the ferry. I'd personally love to spend a day or two wandering through some of it's history, I'd say it's amazing.

I was fortunate enough to live in Thailand for a few years so got to visit the Kanchanaburi war cemetery where almost 7,000 allied soldiers are buried, hell fire pass and I also walked across the bridge on the river Kwai all of which was very sobering and poignant. You can't really imagine the torture or suffering until you see (literally) thousands of headstones in a giant cemetery and then realise each one represents a person who's average age was just 19!!

What the fcuk did they care or even know about what they were dying for in such a foreign land?

Veering off topic here so back on track.

Yes, it's a great idea to St Brieuc and explore the local area.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭murt101

Have the same idea ourselves for this year, will be looking for a hotel for 1 or 2 nights so we can explore the area. One year we got back up to Normandy early and visited the Overlord museum and hope to do more of the same this year.

Fair enough but that's a different question and depends how much time you have available. Concarneau is a pretty spot but quite a detour.

We sailed from Cherbourg last year and trravelled up from Rennes.  Went to the American cemetry etc its amazing but we didnt have too long to visit.

I plan on going to Normandy and doing all the WW2 sites with a friend and as we are sailing from Roscoff this year I I thought a nights stop near /on the way to the port would be a bit of craic for us all and a nice way to finish the holiday off

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

I was very impressed with Mont St. Michel.
    Perhaps because the Irish Ferries ad had implanted its name in my head as a 10 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GeneralSherman

The fortified town of St. Malo is absolutely gorgeous, well worth a day on the beach or in the tidal pool. Then a ramble through the old town for an icecream or dinner in the evening.

www.survoldefrance.fr/affichage2.php?img=12634&departement=Ille-et-Vilaine+(35)&f=140&prev_suiv_link=1

The American museum near Omaha Beach is indeed well worth a visit with the exhibitions in English and Mont St. Michel is well managed despite the crowds (don't bother with the museums on the way up to the abbey though). Dinard is a beautiful town

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If you are doing WW2 stuff, in the Mont St Michel area, visit the German cemetery at Mont de Huisnes. Like all such places, very sobering and thought provoking.

It's actually an Ossuary, and built as a hollowed out hill.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.dday.center/cemetery_de_monthuisnes.html&ved=2ahUKEwjqv87JquvYAhXBCcAKHRVvCTgQFjAAegQIEBAB&usg=AOvVaw3NHvL7MVbCPvdgTLVhT7Yb

Big German guns and the cliff walk at Longues-Sur-Mer battery is well worth a visit too.

All the WW2 stuff makes sense if leaving from Cherbourg but makes no sense at all if leaving from Roscoff.

100% correct.

Mikeerd4 hoping to go visit the WW2 sites so these posts may be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

Anyone considering Disneyland Paris during their France trip, while it's still pricey (especially if your kids are over 7) the German version of the website has the best offer I could find at the minute - you get free half board for the same price as the accommodation-only option on the Irish/UK version of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

kfc1 wrote: »
    FWIW - seen this on another website
    For anyone looking at a eurocamp site I have a discount code.

18WBIE03

Details below. Hope it saves someone a few €€€

Nights On Parc:

% Discount:

1 April - 25 May

50%

26 May - 30 June

40%

1 - 20 July

30%

21 July - 1 Sept

15%

2 Sept onwards

30%

Click here for more information and T's & C's.

The discounts apply per night to the accommodation base price and supplements based on the total holiday duration within the relevant date bands. The offer is subject to availability and a minimum duration of 3 nights with a maximum duration of 21 nights. The offer is only applicable to new 2018 bookings and cannot be applied retrospectively to an existing reservation. The offer is subject to the booking terms and conditions as stated in the 2018 Eurocamp brochure and cannot be combined with any other Eurocamp offer or discount. The offer is subject to availability.

The offer applies to Classic and Safari Tents, Classic, Esprit, Espace and Vista mobile homes only. All other accommodation types are excluded.

All parcs are included except: CD011, CD012, CD013, CD019, HL012, IA022, IL019, IS018, RV015, VN011, VS011, WM017, WM020, WM032. Selected parcs may be excluded at any time.

The offer is only valid for bookings made between 22nd December 2017 and 28th February 2018. The offer cannot be redeemed through travel agents.

Did anyone else have any issues adding this promo code?
    I have two sites in my basket for June that fall within all the requirements I can see and it says invalid??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Did anyone else have any issues adding this promo code?
    I have two sites in my basket for June that fall within all the requirements I can see and it says invalid??

22nd December 2017 and 28th February 2018

Oh wait....

My last trip was in 2015; at the time I know I haa an issue with discount codes and it turned out the discount was only available if booking through .co.uk site rather than .ie site (or vice versa).
    I rang them, and they let me apply to my booking in backend some way

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

josip wrote: »
    I was very impressed with Mont St. Michel.
    Perhaps because the Irish Ferries ad had implanted its name in my head as a 10 year old.

We visited in 2016 and I really loved it. Kids might have been humouring me but I think they liked it too :)

Stayed in this place - reasonable prices, nice little pool, friendly staff and a short drive to Mont St Michel: http://fleurdumont.com/

Short walk into into the village from the hotel and you can get a great view of Mont St Michel. (If it wasn't such a pain to post images here, I could share a pic..)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    22nd December 2017 and 28th February 2018

Oh wait....

My last trip was in 2015; at the time I know I haa an issue with discount codes and it turned out the discount was only available if booking through .co.uk site rather than .ie site (or vice versa).
    I rang them, and they let me apply to my booking in backend some way

Found it a lot cheaper on Canvas since then anyway. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

Booked Aloha campsite at Sérignan-Plage in the south of France for 18 days at end of June/start of July.
    Any recommendations for the area from anyone thats been there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

wall wrote: »
    Booked Aloha campsite at Sérignan-Plage in the south of France for 18 days at end of June/start of July.

Sorry if it's a silly question, but you are aware it's a naturist campsite ?

Other than that, look for the Intermarché Contact in Cers, it's very close, before the intermarché there is a lay-by along Canal du Midi with fruit sellers and a restaurant/café sort of place. Park there to rent a little electric barque and sail up the canal for an hour or so, it's beautiful ! Even on a hot day, it feels blissfully cool on the canal. You don't need experience to drive the boats, my kids both had a go it's so simple.

I was'nt aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

Yelloh village "Aloha" in serignan plage http://www.alohacamping.com/en/index.html is definitely not a naturist campsite, been there 6 times.
    There is a naturist site nearby, "Camping Naturiste Le Serignan Plage" and you might be getting Aloha mixed up with another Yelloh site, "yelloh village camping serignan plage" which does have naturist only sessions at the spa/ pool complex, but it is surrounded by a wall so nobody can get offended ..

I was'nt aware of this.

:o

It's apparent on their own website, but if you booked via a third party it might have been less obvious.

That end of the beach is a naturist area.

The campsite nearby, Les Sablons, is very nice, if you don't mind a lot of activity, evening discos etc... it's got everything, and the beach is lovely. This is not naturist.

edit : hold on I'm rechecking as I'm getting various links in French

Phew, I'm seeing another campsite Aloha that doesn't look naturist, sorry to have alarmed you for nothing.
    It's just that there is a naturist campsite near the yelloh one (at the end of the beach) and I must have cliqued on that by accident while checking the location !

:o:o:o:D:D:D

edit : another tip for forgiveness, if you walk along the beach for approx. 2 km towards Portiragnes in the evening, you will hit an area (Just before Les Sablons) with bumper cars and a ride or two for the children, a good few restaurants, some shops open in the evenings too.
    With younger children it'd probably be a bit of a stretch though.

Ah jaysus, and I just ticked clothes off the packing list and put extra sun cream on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

You're quite well located depending on your interests. Lovely beach there in addition to those in Valras, Portiragnes, Vendres etc. Aqualand is in Cap d'Agde, Europark in Vias. There's usually an on beach restaurant at Serignan plage which is fun & is in addition to the restaurants in the centre of Serignan itself. L'Harmonie there is a little more upmarket. Beziers has it's attractions & the town centre itself is undergoing a major transformation currently which should be finished before you're due to arrive. Depending on how far you'd like to drive there are plenty of other things to do from wine tastings to chateaux to tree climbing parks, the canal & the nine locks etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MMcBrid

Hi - we are thinking about booking Le Brasilia in Canet en Roussillon. Just wondering if anyone has been to it and what you thought of it. Also, any recommendation for the area around. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭pmpa

For people who are thinking of booking with Siblu, I just booked and got a great deal, got it cheaper than last year so I'm happy with that. I've been watching the prices since we were in Les Charmettes last summer, the prices were crazy so didn't book onsite, the difference in the past week alone is €450 cheaper now for same booking!Booking the ferry now!

Advertisement