Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭pmpa

A few questions for those of you who travelled out of Cherbourg ( we always sail in and out of Roscoff). We will drive up from Les Charmettes , spend one night close to Mont St Michel and then want to spend three nights to see WW2 sites and anything else people recommend. Any accommodation recommendations for this and a good base, I am thinking of Bayeux? 2 adults and 3 kids.
    Is there much to do/ see in Cherbourg?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Hi guys looking for a few recommendations please, we've been to Des Ormes in Dol De Bretange three times and really enjoyed it but found the extra activities to be quite expensive so we went for a change last year,

I wrote a fairly extensive review when I returned so I won't go in depth again but we did a week in la pont St Gilles in Benodet then a week in Les Mouettes in Carantec, both were really nice sites but I didn't like the bar and entertainment area in Benodet, it was just a giant hall with the same giant lady bug doing the same show every night and once the ended the place emptied out, also the playground was very basic and the kids club was virtually non existent.

Les Mouettes on the other hand was absolutely out of this world, from the facilities to the kids club to the jam packed daily schedule it was like being on a cruise liner, so we're nailed in there for a week this year but were debating whether to give Des Ormes another go for the first week or to try somewhere else.

Now one of the main requirements is the driving, I'm not a fan of the driving 6-8 hours down south especially when Les Mouettes is 15 minutes from Roscoff and we got absolutely roasted there in the first week of June last year, so my limit on driving would be 3 hours because that's what I've travelled previous years to Les Ormes.

We have a 6 year old a two and a half year old and a 6 month old, I'd be looking for similar facilities to Les Ormes and Les Mouettes and it's June in which were going again so I'd really appreciate any suggestions within the allotted travel time that ticks the boxes facilities wise from your experience.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

pmpa wrote: »
    A few questions for those of you who travelled out of Cherbourg ( we always sail in and out of Roscoff). We will drive up from Les Charmettes , spend one night close to Mont St Michel and then want to spend three nights to see WW2 sites and anything else people recommend. Any accommodation recommendations for this and a good base, I am thinking of Bayeux? 2 adults and 3 kids.
    Thanks!

We stayed on the Municipal site in Bayeux. It was busy but perfectly adequate. It adjoins the town swimming complex and campers get a wristband to allow entry. The tapestry was worth seeing, and I enjoyed it, but there is talk of sending It to Britain sometime this year, so check that. Ww2 sites are plentiful, coastal batteries etc, and Utah beach visitor centre and suchlike.
    The US Airborne museum at St.Marie Egliese it very good. That's the village from the film "The longest day" (where the parachutist was caught on the church steeple) and you have Dead Mans Corner museum and there is an Overlord Museum that's excellent in the area.
    There is a Submarine museum in Cherbourg, it's supposed to be very good but I haven't been yet. (Hopefully this year!)
    Lots of camp sites all along the coast in little fishing village's. We also stayed on The Cormoran near Utah beach and it's excellant for both parents and kids.
    On the Mont St Michel side of the peninsula is an Ossuary for German war dead, at Huisness sus Mer. If youre into that sort of thing it's very sobering. It is built as a hollowed out hill in appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Thanks!
    Cherbourg is a port city and not particularly charming. I'd head along the coast a bit. I've stayed in a couple of places - Grandcamp Maisny has some interesting WW2 fortifications and Crueselles sur Mer has a decent beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Cité de la Mer in Cherbourg is great - they have an actual nuclear submarine, a really good aquarium and a big Titanic exhibition (the iceberg-bothering liner called at Cherbourg before heading on to Cobh and then destiny).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

For people who are thinking of booking with Siblu, I just booked and got a great deal, got it cheaper than last year so I'm happy with that. I've been watching the prices since we were in Les Charmettes last summer, the prices were crazy so didn't book onsite, the difference in the past week alone is €450 cheaper now for same booking!Booking the ferry now!

We booked through the UK site at the start of the year and there was 500 euro difference in price!

Ok I'm guessing by the lack of replies that there's no other campsites within 3 hours of roscoff that match upto the facilities of Les Mouettes and Les Ormes or else it's just a case of most people prefer to drive 5-7 hours to be guaranteed the weather whereas I'm not going to France for a tan, I'm happy with 17° and above and dry weather.

On another topic has anyone ever stayed in Domaine de Kerlann and if so what did you think of it and how does Siblu rate compared to Eurocamp and Canvas?

Thanks.

Ok I'm guessing by the lack of replies that there's no other campsites within 3 hours of roscoff that match upto the facilities of Les Mouettes and Les Ormes or else it's just a case of most people prefer to drive 5-7 hours to be guaranteed the weather whereas I'm not going to France for a tan, I'm happy with 17° and above and dry weather.

On another topic has anyone ever stayed in Domaine de Kerlann and if so what did you think of it and how does Siblu rate compared to Eurocamp and Canvas?

Thanks.

I stayed in Domaine de Kerlann, thought the campsite was very good, the pool and splashzone would suit your kids ages. I have always stayed with Siblu so can't comment how it compares. Kids club and entertainment were great. The onsite playground will be great for your kids.
    Pont Aven is the nearest town and is lovely. All of us loved Concarneau, roughly a twenty minute drive, we thought we were entering a castle( didn't do any research before we visited!) and entered a walled in town, we were all blown away. Kids still talking about it years later.
    I wouldn't return as weather wasn't great but as you said your not looking for heat but I really liked the site itself.

I stayed in Domaine de Kerlann, thought the campsite was very good, the pool and splashzone would suit your kids ages. I have always stayed with Siblu so can't comment how it compares. Kids club and entertainment were great. The onsite playground will be great for your kids.
    Pont Aven is the nearest town and is lovely. All of us loved Concarneau, roughly a twenty minute drive, we thought we were entering a castle( didn't do any research before we visited!) and entered a walled in town, we were all blown away. Kids still talking about it years later.
    I wouldn't return as weather wasn't great but as you said your not looking for heat but I really liked the site itself.
    Thanks very much, just read a great article as well from the Daily Mail which reiterates most of the points you've made.
    Will be seriously considering going there for the first week then onto Les Mouettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Thanks!

Another recommendation here for Le Cormoran and Sainte Mere Eglise.
    Le cormoran has bouncy castles for the kids, a pen with little goats the kiddies can feed and even go in the pen with, the beach is literally across the road (and I mean literally), there's a nice covered pool. Sainte Mere Eglise is a lovely village with all the interest around the central square (museum, parachutist on the church, restaurants, souvenir shops...). There is a little Super U that is pretty well stocked up if you want to get a few bits before heading back without having to stop in Cherbourg.

• Advertisement

On a personal note I am planning our campervan adventure for this year, we are popping up to the Netherlands for one night right off from the Channel Tunnel, and I would like to stay around the Vlissingen-Domburg area.
    I had a campsite spotted in Vlissingen but it seems they don't take campers, so any recommendations are very welcome, there's plenty anyway but it helps to have people's opinions.

Any tips of quick things to see in one day there will be appreciated, we don't know anything about the place, just going for a quick look. Dromburg looks lovely to walk around for a few hours.

Kids are 10 and 12 now so we're not as finicky on what we need, French camping municipal standards are fine.

Any recommendations between Bergheim and Colmar I'm a taker too !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

On a personal note I am planning our campervan adventure for this year, we are popping up to the Netherlands for one night right off from the Channel Tunnel, and I would like to stay around the Vlissingen-Domburg area.
    I had a campsite spotted in Vlissingen but it seems they don't take campers, so any recommendations are very welcome, there's plenty anyway but it helps to have people's opinions.

Any tips of quick things to see in one day there will be appreciated, we don't know anything about the place, just going for a quick look. Dromburg looks lovely to walk around for a few hours.

Kids are 10 and 12 now so we're not as finicky on what we need, French camping municipal standards are fine.

Any recommendations between Bergheim and Colmar I'm a taker too !

This year we're giving Europa Park a look on the way out.
    https://www.europapark.de/en
    Do your 10/12 year olds like roller coasters?

We were very happy with 2 days/3 nights camping in Legoland Deutschland on the way back last year.
    The campsite was adequate by French standards but the toilet block was excellent.
    The camping was effectively free with a 2 day ticket.

Hopefully it's similar in Europa Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

I am driving with a caravan from Roscoff to the Vendee.

Would you recommend taking the N12, E50 and E3 ie via Rennes and Nantes or taking the coastal route via Vannes?

Taking a large caravan so I’ll be taking it handy at 50mph so less traffic and hustle would suit,

Anywhere good to stop along the route for kids to run about and burn some energy?

Deeman83 wrote: »
    I am driving with a caravan from Roscoff to the Vendee.

Would you recommend taking the N12, E50 and E3 ie via Rennes and Nantes or taking the coastal route via Vannes?

Taking a large caravan so I’ll be taking it handy at 50mph so less traffic and hustle would suit,

Anywhere good to stop along the route for kids to run about and burn some energy?

If you are driving that slowly then take the Rennes/Nantes route as it is mostly on dual carriageways so you won't be holding everyone else up. There's eating places on the outskirts of both cities that have swings, slides etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Deeman83 wrote: »

Bookmark McDonalds restaurants along your route. I know the food isn't great but all the McD's I've been to in France (mostly along the route you are proposing to travel) have large outdoor play area's for kids with slides, climbing frames etc.

Even if you don't want their food you can grab a coffee and just chill a while to allow the kids blow off steam before moving on to eat somewhere else.

Eventually got through to Brittany Ferries this morning after 45 minutes and 131 engaged calls so going by that the new Santander route is going to be very popular.

Connemara booked going out in late May coming back mid June, going to do a week in Les Ormes a week in Les Mouettes and the third week is up in the air but I'm edging towards Domaine de Kerlann.

Eventually got through to Brittany Ferries this morning after 45 minutes and 131 engaged calls so going by that the new Santander route is going to be very popular.

Connemara booked going out in late May coming back mid June, going to do a week in Les Ormes a week in Les Mouettes and the third week is up in the air but I'm edging towards Domaine de Kerlann.

You will have to let us know what you thought of the ship and the length of the sailing etc.
    I was debating about Santander for this summer but booked for France using Irish Ferries, maybe next year.
    Was the price reasonable for the sailing compared to the Pont Avon?
    Think you will be happy with Domains de Kerlann, one thing to keep in mind is that you have to drive to everywhere from site.

Not available on their website yet. Did you get a timetable and cost breakdown?

You will have to let us know what you thought of the ship and the length of the sailing etc.
    I was debating about Santander for this summer but booked for France using Irish Ferries, maybe next year.
    Was the price reasonable for the sailing compared to the Pont Avon?
    Think you will be happy with Domains de Kerlann, one thing to keep in mind is that you have to drive to everywhere from site.

There actually didn't seem too much of a difference at all but the dates suited me better and the times of sailings, I prefer arriving into roscoff at 15:30 so I know my mobile will be ready when I arrive as opposed to arriving at 6am and having to sit around for 4 hours waiting for your mobile to be ready.
    And the way the dates fall I get to spend three full weeks In three different parks for only €200 more than two weeks with the Pont Avon.

I don't mind driving everywhere because that's the same as we have to do in Des Ormes anyway,
    As I was looking at Les Mouettes on the yelloh village website I came across Port de Plaisance which looks very nice, has anyone ever stayed there that can comment?

First Up wrote: »

No they said online booking won't be set up for a few weeks, the timetable is basically out every Monday night from Ringaskiddy at 22:00 arriving into Roscoff at 15:30 then departing Roscoff every Tuesday evening at 19:00 arriving into Ringaskiddy at 8:00.

No prices itemised but they'll quote you any dates in the phone.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »

No they said online booking won't be set up for a few weeks, the timetable is basically out every Monday night from Ringaskiddy at 22:00 arriving into Roscoff at 15:30 then departing Roscoff every Tuesday evening at 19:00 arriving into Ringaskiddy at 8:00.

No prices itemised but they'll quote you any dates in the phone.
    I was talking about the Santander route.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I see on another site that prices for Cork to Santander on Brittany Ferries are coming in at 1020 Euro for 2 people in September.
    Irish Ferries to Cherbourg 440 for same dates.

(Both prices are return)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

35% sale on Siblu sites with the code FID18J, valid until Wed Jan 31st.

Don't know if the above is a genuine discount or not and don't know if it's a once off use (supposed to be personal to me) or is a general issue discount code which can be used by everyone.

Might be worth a try for anyone still looking to book this years holiday.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I see on another site that prices for Cork to Santander on Brittany Ferries are coming in at 1020 Euro for 2 people in September.
    Irish Ferries to Cherbourg 440 for same dates.

(Both prices are return)
    That looks like a big difference but the drive to Northern Spain and back will add a couple of hundred in fuel and tolls each way, plus at least one overnight en route.

I'd say the pure cost won't work out to be much different so it will be about balancing the convenience of a lot less driving time with being cooped up on the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Somewhat impulsively booked at the weekend :D

Irish Ferries: Rosslare-Roscoff, and 14 nights in EuroCapm: La Pointe St Gilles.
    Myself wife, and 3 and 1 yr olds.

Came in at 1,460 which I think is doing alright (thanks to whoever posted the EuroCamp discount, knocked 600 off)
    We were there before in 2015, and although it has it's limitations and weather is not guaranteed I'm hoping it will suit us again.
    We'd prefer it not too hot, and the kids are still too small to be too involved in that much on the site anyway.

Any tips on things to do, or places to go in the area would be great.

Now I just need to get the holidays approved in work....

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Somewhat impulsively booked at the weekend :D

Irish Ferries: Rosslare-Roscoff, and 14 nights in EuroCapm: La Pointe St Gilles.
    Myself wife, and 3 and 1 yr olds.

Came in at 1,460 which I think is doing alright (thanks to whoever posted the EuroCamp discount, knocked 600 off)
    We were there before in 2015, and although it has it's limitations and weather is not guaranteed I'm hoping it will suit us again.
    We'd prefer it not too hot, and the kids are still too small to be too involved in that much on the site anyway.

Any tips on things to do, or places to go in the area would be great.

Now I just need to get the holidays approved in work....

Do you mind me asking what dates you booked and what code you used because I had no luck adding it on the Eurocamp site.
    We stayed there last year and we really enjoyed it bar the repetitive night time entertainment and the bar isn't really a bar.
    I'll have a look back over what days out we took over the next few days and get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Do you mind me asking what dates you booked and what code you used because I had no luck adding it on the Eurocamp site.
    We stayed there last year and we really enjoyed it bar the repetitive night time entertainment and the bar isn't really a bar.
    I'll have a look back over what days out we took over the next few days and get back to you.

I used the 18WBIE03 code that you had quoted previously. Booked from 31st May without issue.
    Only possible cause I see in the terms is a list of excluded site codes, could your site be one of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭crunchie1

Hi, sorry if this is done already but I have searched for a recent post..I'm looking for advice to those that go with the kids to the camps in spain/italy/france..I particularly don't want to drive so that reduces our options, but would anyone have advice, 2 adults, 2 kids looking for a nice park with not too much travel involved..its a minefield!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

There are plenty of parks that don't require driving but then again there are many more that do. Any of the sites we've been to in France have required a car as they are pretty remote. Maybe check out the Ferry/Campsite thread for advice on sites that are accessible without a car?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057621952

Don't rule out a park simply because it seems far from an airport & consider using a shuttle service or even public transport.

Duinrell in Wassenaar, Holland is accessible by transfer or public transport and you don't need to leave the park if you don't want to. The nearest town is literally across the road though. Disadvantage is that hot sunny weather isn't guaranteed.

Union Lido, Cavalino Treporti, Italy is an amazing site and although not easy to access via public transport is very doable.

Salou/Cambrils/La Pineda on the Costa Dorada have a number of campsites, though some are quite pricey due to popularity. Cambrils Park & Sanguli would be two of the better known parks. We chose to book direct with La Siesta Camping in Salou for this year. All the resorts are accessible by bus or train from Barcelona airport or Ryanair fly to Reus which is 10-15 minutes from Salou.

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    This year we're giving Europa Park a look on the way out.
    https://www.europapark.de/en
    Do your 10/12 year olds like roller coasters?

We were very happy with 2 days/3 nights camping in Legoland Deutschland on the way back last year.
    The campsite was adequate by French standards but the toilet block was excellent.
    The camping was effectively free with a 2 day ticket.

Hopefully it's similar in Europa Park.

Thanks for that Josip, the 12 year old is maaad for rollercoasters since we went to 6 flags last June, the 10 year old not so much, so I had spotted this little park called Fraispertuit, on the other side of the Vosges.
    It seems nice, with a Far West theme, and would cater well for the young lad who's not too keen on scary rides.

Having said that we'll be headed down towards Bâle to visit some friends so it might be hard to avoid big road signs and ads about it in campsites, might as well come clean about it right now and pencil it in if it's something they'll be longing for :D

Legoland is a good bit further in if I recall right, I have to work our trip around family dates down South of France (Provence) so don't think we'll push that far in this time.

Advertisement