Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the Royal Canin dog food any good?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

A girl uses no one that isn't fully qualified.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

deisedays wrote: »
    Shot of ivermectin cost cents versus expensive vet shop robbery flea treatment. Save £££

I hope your friend doesn't give these cheapie doses of ivermectin to any collies or collie crosses, or German Shepherds, or other herding breeds, or whippets, that might land in his care, nor that any owners of said breeds take his money-saving advice.
    A bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Buy vaccines over the counter and administer yourself. Save £££.

And what if your dog has been exposed to the virus just before vaccination? Maybe your friend isn't aware that the vet health checks carried out prior to vaccination are done, in part, to make sure the dog is healthy enough to be vaccinated.
    Did you or your friend ever lose pups to being vaccinated at the wrong time by amateurs? If you did, you'd hardly be advising people to take a chance for the sake of a few quid.
    Only try to get a UCD vet cos or heard there are peeple out there who got vet qualification for the Internet or something. Be careful
    Feel free to ask me any further questions girl thanks

Now, with mod hat on, you're continuing your UCD vet soap-boxing here, as you have done in other threads and other forums. Soap-boxing is clearly listed as not allowed in the forum charter.
    Neither is flaming. You are flaming Muddypaws by continuing to refer to them as "girl".
    No more soap-boxing.
    No more flaming.
    Do not reply to the bolded part of this post.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 deisedays

DBB wrote: »
    I hope your friend doesn't give these cheapie doses of ivermectin to any collies or collie crosses that might land in his care, nor that any owners of said breeds take his money-saving advice.

And what if your dog has been exposed to the virus just before vaccination? Maybe your friend isn't aware that the vet health checks carried out prior to vaccination are done, in part, to make sure the dog is healthy enough to be vaccinated.
    Did you or your friend ever lose pups to being vaccinated at the wrong time by amateurs? If you did, you'd hardly be advising people to take a chance for the sake of a few quid.

Now, with mod hat on, you're continuing your UCD vet soap-boxing here, as you have done in other threads and other forums. Soap-boxing is clearly listed as not allowed in the forum charter.
    Neither is flaming. You are flaming Muddypaws by continuing to refer to them as "girl".
    No more soap-boxing.
    No more flaming.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Of course not, he's well aware of the toxic effect of ivermectin on collie and collie crosses, and it's high efficacy in non collie breeds. Please don't assume that an experienced dog owners doesn't know this.
    Before vaxxing a pup it's easy to check temp, age, look at general demeanour and if in doubt the don't vaccinate. Farmers vaccinate all their stock- they don't ask the vet to do it.
    The skill of the stockman is constantly ran down and that makes me sad. Just cos someone didn't get a big education doesn't mean they can't know and do a log with their animals.
    I for one don't fall for the industry spin these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Of course not, he's well aware of the toxic effect of ivermectin on collie and collie crosses, and it's high efficacy in non collie breeds. Please don't assume that an experienced dog owners doesn't know this.
    Before vaxxing a pup it's easy to check temp, age, look at general demeanour and if in doubt the don't vaccinate. Farmers vaccinate all their stock- they don't ask the vet to do it.
    The skill of the stockman is constantly ran down and that makes me sad. Just cos someone didn't get a big education doesn't mean they can't know and do a log with their animals.

All my puppies go to the vet for first vaccinations & their health check. I like a vet to check their heart, confirm entire males etc before they go to their new homes. Puppies with heart murmurs can look healthy. No way would I consider buying a puppy myself who had not been seen by a qualified vet. You can be a great stockman but still do things the correct way. It is not all about saving money but rather producing quality healthy dogs that will reach their potential livespan.

But, you've just given unfettered advice here to use ivermectin as a cheapie flea treatment... And you didn't warn of the risks to herding breeds. So, whilst your friend might warn owners of the risks, you didn't. On a public forum.
    Do you really think that most dog owners already know there's a risk?
    I know a number of seriously experienced people, who run rescues and handle dozens of dogs every day, who have lost pups due to srlf-vaccination. Do you really think most pet dog owners know how to take a dog's temperature? That they know what the temperature should be? That they have a stethoscope? And know how to use it? That they know how to check cap refill? Dehydration levels? Yet here you are, advising people on a public pet forum to vaccinate their dogs on the cheap themselves, with no mention of any health checks that need to happen beforehand?
    Just as well I drew attention to it, huh?
    Without exception, the people I know who've lost pups due to self-vaccination thought the dogs and pups were safe to vaccinate. Seriously experienced people. Not your average pet owner.
    I don't know what being a stocksman or a farmer has to do with a pet forum. They're experienced people who only medicate their animals because their vet, by law, has had to establish their competence to administer the meds, and moreover has provided them with the vaccines.

Knine wrote: »
    All my puppies go to the vet for first vaccinations & their health check. I like a vet to check their heart, confirm entire males etc before they go to their new homes. Puppies with heart murmurs can look healthy. No way would I consider buying a puppy myself who had not been seen by a qualified vet. You can be a great stockman but still do things the correct way. It is not all about saving money but rather producing quality healthy dogs that will reach their potential livespan.

The "correct way" doesn't have to mean swallowing the industry line hook line and sinker.
    I've a mate a vet who says you can't tell bugger all from a clinical exam. He's honest enough to tell me the truth versus what he has to say in his clinic to get the punters in.
    Any dog owner should be able to avoid 90% of visits to the vet.
    I'm delighted some people have money to burn but just remember some people with animals haven't a lot of ££££ and I'd prefer them to spend their money as wisely as they can
    I'm not knocking going to the vet just saying u don't have to run in to them for everything. They are good when u do need them though.

But, you've just given unfettered advice here to use ivermectin as a cheapie flea treatment... And you didn't warn of the risks to herding breeds. So, whilst your friend might warn owners of the risks, you didn't. On a public forum.
    Do you really think that most dog owners already know there's a risk?
    I know a number of seriously experienced people, who run rescues and handle dozens of dogs every day, who have lost pups due to srlf-vaccination. Do you really think most pet dog owners know how to take a dog's temperature? That they know what the temperature should be? That they have a stethoscope? And know how to use it? That they know how to check cap refill? Dehydration levels? Yet here you are, advising people on a public pet forum to vaccinate their dogs on the cheap themselves, with no mention of any health checks that need to happen beforehand?
    Just as well I drew attention to it, huh?
    Without exception, the people I know who've lost pups due to self-vaccination thought the dogs and pups were safe to vaccinate. Seriously experienced people. Not your average pet owner.
    I don't know what being a stocksman or a farmer has to do with a pet forum. They're experienced people who only medicate their animals because their vet, by law, has had to establish their competence to administer the meds, and moreover has provided them with the vaccines.

Oh go on away and ban me so before I delete my account.

I hope your friend doesn't give these cheapie doses of ivermectin to any collies or collie crosses, or German Shepherds, or other herding breeds, or whippets, that might land in his care, nor that any owners of said breeds take his money-saving advice.

No more soap-boxing.
    No more flaming.
    Thanks,
    DBB

I'm replying to the bold part- to hell with you pal, I'll delete my account before I'll be spoken to like that

I'm replying to the bold part- to hell with you pal, I'll delete my account before I'll be spoken to like that

But yet you have no problem talking in the manner you did to me and another poster?

A girl is no one.

• Advertisement

I've got a new pal!
    Yay :)

I've got a new pal!
    Yay :)

No you don't, he took his ball and went home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

muddypaws wrote: »
    No you don't, he took his ball and went home.

I think he just came back with a new ball or maybe a new Clippers

Advertisement