Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oneplus 3 Owners

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

god's toy wrote: »
    Was waiting for it auto download but ended up using the VPN trick and it's downloading now.

What country did you connect to?

I tried the Netherlands, Germany, US, France, Canada, India, Singapore and none of them got me the update!

EDIT: got it on a second attempt on Germany's server

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

What country did you connect to?

I tried the Netherlands, Germany, US, France, Canada, India, Singapore and none of them got me the update!

Germany but only worked with SurfEasy VPN this time . Once the download started i disconnected and it continued on its own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

In regards to buying the phone, have any of you taken out the insurance with it? If so, what's it like? Has anyone had to make a claim yet and if so what was that like? It's €75 for 2yrs so a bit less than €3.15/month which is very good value imo. Also, is theft covered? Can't see it listed on the OP site but on the SimpleSurance site it does mention it.

Sorry for the million and one questions btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I have the OPO and this phone appeals to me again, so gonna take the plunge at the next paycheque maybe.

I know that is dual-SIM, but how exactly does this work? Can I make certain actions on 1 sim, and others on another freely?
    Also, is there any country where I can not use this, as I am planning to go travelling in the new year and would like to take it with me easily, and use it as my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Is rooting the OP3 fairly straightforward? Want to install ad blockers etc when it arrives this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

dahat wrote: »
    Is rooting the OP3 fairly straightforward? Want to install ad blockers etc when it arrives this week.

Very straightforward. This is the guide I used.

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/guide-oneplus-3-how-to-unlock-bootloader-flash-twrp-root-nandroid-efs-backup-and-more.448149/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Anyone have any GPS issues with their Oneplus 3?
    I notice mine can be really slow to pick up my location... and loses the connection at times also.
    Opening Pokemon Go when on data connection (3G or LTE) can take a long time - and fails more often than not.
    However, my son can open it on his iPod Touch (tethered to my oneplus 3) absolutely no problem. So this leads me to believe it's not a problem with the network - but something with the hardware in the phone.

Using Google Hangouts - again when on data connection and i send a message to someone, it waits "Sending" for a long time before it actually does send. Using my iPhone it's instantaneous.

Anyways - said i'd throw it out there to see if it's a thing with the phone - or maybe just i got a defective unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Serious question: what is the benefit to rooting the phone? Is it just that you can run stock android on it? I've never been bothered rooting my phones, and I've had multiple android devices because the various OS's were grand for me. I've just installed the Nova launcher on top of the Oxygen 3.2.6 OS and it's fine.

I'm less than impressed with the battery life on the One Plus 3 though, having come from a Samsung S7 that I was getting 2+ days from, and I'm wondering if there are any technical/hardware improvements from rooting the device?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Serious question: what is the benefit to rooting the phone?
    My main reasons are AdAway, Titanium Backup and Root Explorer. Also the Xposed framework, which gives you a hell of a lot more customisation options

In terms of battery life, Xposed modules Amplify and Greenify are supposed to give great benefits, but I don't use them myself

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Legend_Steph

Hey,

I'm hoping to get the OnePlus 3 for my birthday and have done extensive research on it through this thread, Reddit and online reviews.

Summary wise though, would you recommend it? I'd mainly be using it for photography and internet/social media if it makes any difference. I've read comments about the battery actually not lasting and a few glitches with the notifications not vibrating etc. Is this a frequent issue or would it happen to one in every so people? Also, with the 64gb storage, do you find this sufficient enough? (Not having any storage problems or not enough storage to download any apps or update the apps?)

Many thanks in advance for any replies. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 TBoneMurphy

Registered an account just to reply here because I'm an unimaginative bastard too lazy to visit a shop. I'm getting an issue where it tells me I'm roaming and haven't turned my roaming data on, doesn't matter where I am, it just happens. Had it two days. I never got asked to accept 3's settings when I turned on data. I'm using the same sim from my last phone where I could use 4G. The APN is there and when I tried clicking use recommend settings in 'Choose your network' it tells me "already registered on network". Not sure what to do but it interrupts my use of data occasionally and is an annoying notification. Anything I can do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

Anyway turn off vibrate when you use the home, back or recent apps buttons? Getting annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Registered an account just to reply here because I'm an unimaginative bastard too lazy to visit a shop. I'm getting an issue where it tells me I'm roaming and haven't turned my roaming data on, doesn't matter where I am, it just happens. Had it two days. I never got asked to accept 3's settings when I turned on data. I'm using the same sim from my last phone where I could use 4G. The APN is there and when I tried clicking use recommend settings in 'Choose your network' it tells me "already registered on network". Not sure what to do but it interrupts my use of data occasionally and is an annoying notification. Anything I can do?

If your on the Three network then its perfectly ok to be roaming, in fact, turn it ON for data roaming in your settings! What is happening is you are roaming onto the o2 network for voice/data but as three own this network too its fine and it wont cost you anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TBoneMurphy

god's toy wrote: »
    If your on the Three network then its perfectly ok to be roaming, in fact, turn it ON for data roaming in your settings! What is happening is you are roaming onto the o2 network for voice/data but as three own this network too its fine and it wont cost you anything.

Thank you very much. That's awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

NikoTopps wrote: »
    In regards to buying the phone, have any of you taken out the insurance with it? If so, what's it like? Has anyone had to make a claim yet and if so what was that like? It's €75 for 2yrs so a bit less than €3.15/month which is very good value imo. Also, is theft covered? Can't see it listed on the OP site but on the SimpleSurance site it does mention it.

Sorry for the million and one questions btw!

I took out the insurance for 2 years. Theft is NOT covered. Not sure what they're like to deal with but there's a few threads on the oneplus forum. Seems like the pick up the phone quickly but there's a shortage of parts at the moment.

FitzShane wrote: »
    I have the OPO and this phone appeals to me again, so gonna take the plunge at the next paycheque maybe.

I know that is dual-SIM, but how exactly does this work? Can I make certain actions on 1 sim, and others on another freely?
    Also, is there any country where I can not use this, as I am planning to go travelling in the new year and would like to take it with me easily, and use it as my phone.

I've used the dual SIM twice - kept my Irish SIM for calls and texts and bought one at my destination for data. You can choose which sim you want to use for data and as far as I know can also choose which sim to make calls from when dialing and also when texting. I think it should work in most countries - you could always check here http://willmyphonework.net/

jacksie66 wrote: »
    How's the audio quality on the Oneplus 3? How would it compare to my LG V10?

If by audio quality you mean the speaker it's surprisingly good and much better than my wife's S7 Edge. Loud and a pretty full sound. Not sure how it would compare to your V10

jacksie66 wrote: »
    How's the audio quality on the Oneplus 3? How would it compare to my LG V10?

As other poster said, for the bottom speaker its just fine, in fact it sounds better than any phone Ive had to date. Proable not as good a the HTC speakers however

If your talking headphone connected/DAC than the v10 is king in loudness but not that much more than the OPO3. (note, according to reports, the V20 blows both phones out of the water... but that's probably not coming here any time soon)

• Advertisement

digitaldr wrote: »
    I took out the insurance for 2 years. Theft is NOT covered. Not sure what they're like to deal with but there's a few threads on the oneplus forum. Seems like the pick up the phone quickly but there's a shortage of parts at the moment.

Cheers for the response! Do you think it's worth it to have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Anyone know of any way of automating when to turn on/off second sim card? Had a quick google but couldn't spot anything. Would be very handy to have work sim activate from 9am to 6pm Monday to Friday rather than having to turn it on/off manually daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

Anyone know of any way of automating when to turn on/off second sim card? Had a quick google but couldn't spot anything. Would be very handy to have work sim activate from 9am to 6pm Monday to Friday rather than having to turn it on/off manually daily.

There's an app called Tasker that should do it but you might need to be rooted and it's €5 so kind of pricey for just this use case, I know there's another called Automate but I don't know if that can do what you want as I've never used it but might be worth a look

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

In case anyone is looking for USB C adapters, I've received these, and they seem to be working fine.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Good-Sale-USB-3-1-Type-C-Male-to-Micro-USB-Female-Converter-USB-C-Adapter/32587447384.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.xeysHL

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TheKitchenSink

Just bought a OnePlus 3 and put in my Vodafone Ireland sim card but it still comes up saying no sim inserted.
    Anyone advise me on what is wrong?

Did you put the SIM tray in the wrong way around?

• Advertisement

Did you put the SIM tray in the wrong way around?

I have the right side facing up yeah

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Did it work with another sim? Can you try with another sim? Either the sim is in wrong, the sim is faulty, or the phone is damaged. Any issues inserting it? Sim should be put in shiny side facing back of phone, branding on top. Obviously the tray has "this side up", which should be on the screen side. Is this in sim 1 or sim 2 tray?

dual-sim-oneplus-3.jpg

MarkR wrote: »
    Did it work with another sim? Can you try with another sim? Either the sim is in wrong, the sim is faulty, or the phone is damaged. Any issues inserting it? Sim should be put in shiny side facing back of phone, branding on top. Obviously the tray has "this side up", which should be on the screen side. Is this in sim 1 or sim 2 tray?

The sim works in a different phone but I haven't been able to try a different sim in the phone

The sim works in a different phone but I haven't been able to try a different sim in the phone

Probably in the wrong sim slot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

It should work in either slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭sioda

Any chance both your sims are switched off in settings.

It should work in either slot.

I read before that if you only have one sim in it should be in the first...dont know, dont care either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

MarkR wrote: »

Thanks, ordered 5 of them for a euro :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Just got promoted to install 3.2.7
    The updates are coming fast but nothing major it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Is there an average delivery time-frame for these for Ireland, or should the estimated delivery date on the site be taken as gospel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Is there an average delivery time-frame for these for Ireland, or should the estimated delivery date on the site be taken as gospel?

Check out the other thread.

You could always buy one from an O2 shop up north. Pay as you go ones are unlocked and with dual sim fully working. A bit cheaper too. No soft gold option though.

SickBoy wrote: »
    Just got promoted to install 3.2.7
    The updates are coming fast but nothing major it seems.

First time Ive got such a minor update on any of the OnePlus phones

First time Ive got such a minor update on any of the OnePlus phones

Maybe that's a good thing? Like the Marshmallow build is almost completely stable and OP will put more of their team on developing Nougat for the OP3 instead.
    Wishful thinking maybe but they did just tease an update to Nougat so you never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Folks - where is the notification LED positioned on this phone?

Folks - where is the notification LED positioned on this phone?

Top left corner.

I ordered the gold one on 24/9 and it was delivered today 10/10 to ParcelMotel. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

NikoTopps wrote: »
    I ordered the gold one on 24/9 and it was delivered today 10/10 to ParcelMotel. Hope that helps.

excellent - so its looking like 2 1/2 weeks approx door to door
    I got worried when the site says 3 (or even 5 ) weeks before its shipped - that could mean shipped from the ars*-end of nowhere thus taking another 10-20 days do get delivered!

(I think you ordered from UK site - would that be right?)

excellent - so its looking like 2 1/2 weeks approx door to door
    I got worried when the site says 3 (or even 5 ) weeks before its shipped - that could mean shipped from the ars*-end of nowhere thus taking another 10-20 days do get delivered!

(I think you ordered from UK site - would that be right?)

Seriously lads, you just had a conversation about destroying the other thread with spam about deliveries. Leave this one alone.

DanC90 wrote: »
    Maybe that's a good thing? Like the Marshmallow build is almost completely stable and OP will put more of their team on developing Nougat for the OP3 instead.
    Wishful thinking maybe but they did just tease an update to Nougat so you never know.

It may be! They tease Nougat but it'll still be a while until they release it. Hopefully they prove me wrong!

It may be! They tease Nougat but it'll still be a while until they release it. Hopefully they prove me wrong!

I doubt it'll be here before the new year but sometime around then would be nice. But being realistic it will probably be around March when we get it 😑

I also forgot the OS merger there working on thats supposed to come soon so we'll probably have to go through another round of stability fixes for that if/when it comes so March for Nougat would be about right 😛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Any phones I've had in recent years that received a major software update has nearly always been more trouble than they were worth. Everything from worse battery to decreased functionality. I really hope when op3 gets nougat its not the same but I doubt it.

Any phones I've had in recent years that received a major software update has nearly always been more trouble than they were worth. Everything from worse battery to decreased functionality. I really hope when op3 gets nougat its not the same but I doubt it.

Ahh your post reminds me of when I had my OPO and updated it....battery life sliced in half from 8hrs to 4ish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭maticm18

You could always buy one from an O2 shop up north. Pay as you go ones are unlocked and with dual sim fully working. A bit cheaper too. No soft gold option though.

Hi, I would like to buy this phone up north. I saw your reply that it's possible to buy it in o2. I checked their website but I can't find pay as you go option. Only tariff. Can you please point me to right direction? Cheers.

Advertisement