Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laneborough Two Provinces 2016

Options
  • 14-07-2016 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭

Well the day is nearly among us, who is in this year?

Has any one received an email yet with Wave allocations etc? Nothing in on my end.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

I'm heading down.

Was wondering about the email myself but checked last year and only received the email on the Friday before the event. So we may wait a little longer...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Yes looking forward to it. Warmest swim in Ireland... rumour has it the power station has had a busy month... could this be the year wetsuits are prohibited?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Yes looking forward to it. Warmest swim in Ireland... rumour has it the power station has had a busy month... could this be the year wetsuits are prohibited?;)

I doubt it but that would certainly be interesting. Looking forward to it. Been out of OW swim since last year due to injury, only dip so far this year was Carlow so I'll be appreciative of a warm water.

First time doing it but bike looks nice and fast. Whats the road surface like?

First time doing it but bike looks nice and fast. Whats the road surface like?

The briefing is out- 8 waves! Okay 1 and 2 are Cat1 so won't interfere with anybody but themselves, but there will be a lot of congestion later on this out-and-back bike. Can't even see how motorbike marshals could negotiate safely so expect a lot of drafting/bunching.

*Edit- 175 marshals on the day, that is some big undertaking!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fiftyplus

Need to take a good book for Saturday. Transition closes 10.15 and my wave (8) starts 12.45. Crazy stuff!!

• Advertisement

Thank fully I'm in wave 4 a the first AG wave. But odd having try a Tri first no? Surely they will contest the route more than The experienced athletes?

The briefing is out- 8 waves! Okay 1 and 2 are Cat1 so won't interfere with anybody but themselves, but there will be a lot of congestion later on this out-and-back bike. Can't even see how motorbike marshals could negotiate safely so expect a lot of drafting/bunching.

*Edit- 175 marshals on the day, that is some big undertaking!

Bloody brilliant race today, possibly the best organised race I've seen yet. The waves worked really well, there was plenty of space on the bike, I didn't see much drafting at all. Marshals everywhere you looked, clear in their instructions etc. Well done Lanesborough Tri Club.

Results

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Bloody brilliant race today, possibly the best organised race I've seen yet. The waves worked really well, there was plenty of space on the bike, I didn't see much drafting at all. Marshals everywhere you looked, clear in their instructions etc. Well done Lanesborough Tri Club.

Results

Top class in every department. Kurt, we biked the same time to the second!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Great spread afterwards ;)

Steroo wrote: »
    Great spread afterwards ;)

How did you get on in the swim Steroo? It was very warm getting in (wetsuits optional) but once you hit the colder flow of the Shannon you knew all about it. Choppy enough, but it had calmed down from the night before when the kids swims were cancelled.

• Advertisement

How did you get on in the swim Steroo? It was very warm getting in (wetsuits optional) but once you hit the colder flow of the Shannon you knew all about it. Choppy enough, but it had calmed down from the night before when the kids swims were cancelled.

I was surprised! I swam off course, got roughed up and swallowed water and was sorry I can only breath to the right after we turned the 1st buoy ! So not great overall but my training has been very little since May and it was evident

The heat in the water was so odd!

Great event overall I'll go back more prepared next year. I had an eye out for you but it was quite busy

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fiftyplus

Well run event, weather great and food afterwards possibly the best I've had at a triathlon. Shorter breaks between waves would help us oldies who felt a tad lonely in the last wave, by which time many had gone home!

Steroo wrote: »
    I was surprised! I swam off course, got roughed up and swallowed water and was sorry I can only breath to the right after we turned the 1st buoy ! So not great overall but my training has been very little since May and it was evident

The heat in the water was so odd!

Great event overall I'll go back more prepared next year. I had an eye out for you but it was quite busy

Think you pipped me by 7 seconds or so overall. Well done. I'll have to work harder to claw those seconds back from you.

Fantastic event, the nicest bike course I've done with fantastic road surface, only problem I had was a slow moving jeep on the neutral zone coming back in which held me up a little bit.

Very disappointed with my swim but bike and run went great. Best my target time so looks like my injury woes are finally getting under hand

Realised last night my times a re a bi messed up on the list, I've no time for my bike but a long T2 time instead. Any one else with the same issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

One of the best organized and one of the most of the enjoyable races in the calendar. Anthony and his team are brilliant. And what a spread of food & entertainment afterwards! A lot of us worried about the thick mud and marsh that was transition in the early morning but as the day went on we just got stuck in there! Great atmosphere, the weather defo helped :cool:

lizanne83 wrote: »
    One of the best organized and one of the most of the enjoyable races in the calendar. Anthony and his team are brilliant. And what a spread of food & entertainment afterwards! A lot of us worried about the thick mud and marsh that was transition in the early morning but as the day went on we just got stuck in there! Great atmosphere, the weather defo helped :cool:

During setup I heard lots of strategies being discussed- better to run the perimeter as there would be less mud, better to carry your bike, etc. It wasn't too bad on the day but I carried my run shoes out of trans and put them on there- don't think it made much difference!

Well done on your win.

Think you pipped me by 7 seconds or so overall. Well done. I'll have to work harder to claw those seconds back from you.

Fantastic event, the nicest bike course I've done with fantastic road surface, only problem I had was a slow moving jeep on the neutral zone coming back in which held me up a little bit.

Very disappointed with my swim but bike and run went great. Best my target time so looks like my injury woes are finally getting under hand

7 seconds is tight! Blame the jeep ;) I nearly got a penalty for crossing the dismount line... but a 'chat' got me out of jail. keep them injuries at bay

Another small improvement that could be made for next year is the location of the portaloos. While the number of them was great they were located across from transition and the run course so you had to climb over 3 barriers and cross two points of the course to get to use them. If they could have been located in a different point either after the finish line along transition or in place of the first few cars in the car park it would be much better. A small complaint I know but an excellently run race.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

It was a great race that I have enjoyed for a number of years. Lanesboro Tri have consistently strived to grow and improve year on year. Some feedback for what it is worth:
    Negative:
    Kayaker paddling in front of second buoy p, blocking it from view. Buoys could have been bigger also.
    Changing the timing between waves, my support crew missed me .
    Changing the entrance on transition and not telling anyone. Good call to move as the entrance was all cut up but the first we knew was after we came in from swim.
    Transition was not neutralised, some had to drag bike all through the mud for 75-100m out and in whilst others didn't.
    No mat on swim exit ramp, a number of cat 1's/others took a tumble.
    Car park, grass not cut.
    Portaloo not near marquee where food was served.
    No drafting penalties at all??
    Not have all females wave. Not having each AG in the same waves.
    Not having clubs grouped together.

Positives:
    Well organised smooth registration.
    Parking
    Large transition. Adequate space between bikes.
    Great course well marshalled.
    Post race food, ice cream, tents, music etc
    T-shirts
    Reducing the time between waves ( should have been 10 mins)

I look forward to returning next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

cart man wrote: »
    It was a great race that I have enjoyed for a number of years. Lanesboro Tri have consistently strived to grow and improve year on year. Some feedback for what it is worth:
    Negative:
    Kayaker paddling in front of second buoy p, blocking it from view. Buoys could have been bigger also.
    Changing the timing between waves, my support crew missed me .
    Changing the entrance on transition and not telling anyone. Good call to move as the entrance was all cut up but the first we knew was after we came in from swim.
    Transition was not neutralised, some had to drag bike all through the mud for 75-100m out and in whilst others didn't.
    No mat on swim exit ramp, a number of cat 1's/others took a tumble.
    Car park, grass not cut.
    Portaloo not near marquee where food was served.
    Not have all females wave. Not having each AG in the same waves.
    Not having clubs grouped together.

Positives:
    Well organised smooth registration.
    Parking
    Large transition. Adequate space between bikes.
    Great course well marshalled.
    Post race food, ice cream, tents, music etc
    T-shirts
    Reducing the time between waves ( should have been 10 mins)

I look forward to returning next year.

Good points to all Cart Man, particularly waves with same AG, mine was spread across waves 4 - 5. Field for parking.... grass was very long yes but don't think it can be cut because it's a standard farmers field normally with cows... so long grass is necessary, but overall great points on the pros and cons that you could feed back to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

is this not a draft legal event?

Keeks wrote: »
    is this not a draft legal event?

CAT 1 was but AG race isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Car park, grass not cut.

Leaving the grass long is the simplest way to ensure cars have traction in wet conditions. Short grass = much more mud...

Advertisement