Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young driver cannot get insured

Options
  • 14-07-2016 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi guys , just wondering if anyone has had this issue before. I'm looking to buy a 2008/9 bmw 320d m sport coupe for around 15k , could get it for 13.5k incl vrt if I go up north so I'm still exploring that option , My problem is basically no one will insure me, I'm a 21 year old male, have my license 2 years in August with nearly 2 years ncb I also have no penalty points (I understand my age and lack of driving experience does not work in m my favour) Has anyone that has had this problem found someone to insure them and if so who ?
    Appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Not a hope.

21 years old and you expect the get insured on a 2L BMW in Ireland?!

Pillow for that dream?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

I'm not surprised tbh. It's a 2l BMW. What were you driving to get your 2 years Ncb ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

As above, no one is going to take that on. Forget it, won't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Nearly choked on my lunch.;)

You need to adjust your expectations to bring them in line with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Try a Mondeo or similar or go for a 1.6 diesel if it's diesel you need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Not a hope these days, just not going to happen. You can force a company to quote you after being turned down a certain number of times but this quote could be any number.

Forget about it until you build up an ncb, turn 25 or the insurance companies sort themselves out or government intervention (god help us there).Probably all of the above. I do feel for you though, you found a car you like but can't insure it. I am in my 30s and have always driven bmws since I was 23 without any hassle including a 3 litre petrol when I was 27 but times they are changed beyond belief.

If you are 100% dead set on that type of car, drop back the years and use the massive savings to buy insurance, you won't like the car any less than an 08/09 but make sure you get a good one (equally applies to an 08/09).

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bonyn

Out of interest, much do you expect to pay for insurance if you could get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crusha101

davo2001 wrote: »
    Not a hope.

21 years old and you expect the get insured on a 2L BMW in Ireland?!

Pillow for that dream?

I was under no illusions that it would be very difficult to get insured, just thought it was best to ask a group of people that had more experience in dealing with this sort of thing.
    I'm not surprised tbh. It's a 2l BMW. What were you driving to get your 2 years Ncb ?

I'm driving an 08 astra 3 door for the past 2 years,1.4 petrol .
    Try a Mondeo or similar or go for a 1.6 diesel if it's diesel you need.

might be worth looking into cheers, Just really took a liking to the e92 and test drove one or two. im seeing my dream of buying one slowly fading.
    bmwguy wrote: »
    Not a hope these days, just not going to happen. You can force a company to quote you after being turned down a certain number of times but this quote could be any number.

Forget about it until you build up an ncb, turn 25 or the insurance companies sort themselves out or government intervention (god help us there).Probably all of the above. I do feel for you though, you found a car you like but can't insure it. I am in my 30s and have always driven bmws since I was 23 without any hassle including a 3 litre petrol when I was 27 but times they are changed beyond belief.

If you are 100% dead set on that type of car, drop back the years and use the massive savings to buy insurance, you won't like the car any less than an 08/09 but make sure you get a good one (equally applies to an 08/09).

appreciate the solid advice , saved up the money for a year and a half then to find out no one will insure you is a real kick in the balls but then again thats just how things work these days, dont think il have much luck insuring an older one either.
    bonyn wrote: »
    Out of interest, much do you expect to pay for insurance if you could get it?
    I have a bit over 2800 put away for what i expected to pay on insurance .

sorry for the late replies i had no access to this thread due to a technical issue boards.ie had encountered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Have you tried any brokers rather than direct insurers? They would probably be your best bet.

pippip wrote: »
    Have you tried any brokers rather than direct insurers? They would probably be your best bet.
    my neighbour is a broker so i droped into him last night and he said he'll have a look around but told me not to have my hopes up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I insured my 2.5 5 Series with Aviva when I was 21 OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

That was then. Things have changed drastically in the last 12 months. I was quoted 3 grand last year on a 1.4 Focus. I put it off to this year to buy and no one would quote me, Chill were the only ones and it was 6 and a half grand and I'm 31 with a clean record.

is that recently ? i have a buddy the same age that didnt have much trouble insuring himself on his 07 2.7 range rover sport .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

crusha101 wrote: »
    is that recently ? i have a buddy the same age that didnt have much trouble insuring himself on his 07 2.7 range rover sport .

Last September, I did their Ignition Test too, a buddy of mine also got insured in a 2.7 Range Rover and a 318Ci and is only 22 himself, not sure who with though!

crusha101 wrote: »

Last September, I did their Ignition Test too, a buddy of mine also got insured in a 2.7 Range Rover and a 318Ci and is only 22 himself, not sure who with though!

cheers im gonna look into those advanced driving tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Aviva or liberty should quote ya. Especially since aviva have started pushing their ignition test again.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Liberty just insured me, similar age to you, with a 2.0 2006 3 Series for €929 829. I think the other posters are dreaming in here :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

You'd wonder how they have stats to say that 21yos driving BMWs are unsafe when there are no 21yo's driving them?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

Just get onto the Ombudsman. I was driving a 2 litre FTO on my own policy at 21, you just have to get insistent. You are paying them, after all. Ridiculous situation, a 2 litre isn't a powerful car.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Lol. I've had my E46 320Cd since I was 20 and had no issues getting insured. IIRC it was around €1200 at the time with Quinn/Liberty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Just get onto the Ombudsman. I was driving a 2 litre FTO on my own policy at 21, you just have to get insistent. You are paying them, after all. Ridiculous situation, a 2 litre isn't a powerful car.
    Yes it is.

And respective to most other cars on Irish roads it definitely is.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

Yes it is.

Not at all, most 2 litres are only 140-170bhp, that's really not very powerful.

Not at all, most 2 litres are only 140-170bhp, that's really not very powerful.
    Yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

I don't know what people are saying in this thread. Having 2800+ saved for insurance?! That'll cover a years tax and some juice on top it. Try liberty. You will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Swanner wrote: »
    It's really not..

For Irish roads and driving standards and average cars yes it is. 100bhp or so is more common.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

For Irish roads and driving standards and average cars yes it is. 100bhp or so is more common.

Got to think of power to weight ratios. A 1.3 Corsa hatchback has alot more get up and go than a 1.4 Focus saloon.

A 3l M5 is a powerful car but a standard 2l is only average. Most cars in this country are underpowered anyway because of the tax and insurance system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

A 320d is not a "powerful car".

There's no reason why a 22 year old with a full licence, 2 years ncb and a clean record shouldn't be able to get a reasonable insurance quote on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Insurance on my 728i when I was 24 was only €1800 with 0 years NCB. How things have changed.

8 years on and all my quotes for my now 740Li are €1800+ (15 quotes+) bar my current insurer which was €1100.

Such a shame for younger drivers starting out now, especially if you're into cars and don't want to drive a sh1tbox for 3 years.

No country for poor men.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Is the OP trying to insure a bog standard 520D? The way some people were going on here, you would think the OP wanted to insure a super car, or an M5 or something.

The expectation of people to drive a small to medium car until their 25 is what needs to change. Maybe people on here are just a little jelly.

Advertisement