Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Classic Mini

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Mini NES Classic Edition FAQ
    No, you can’t add more games to it :-(

Here’s a rundown of the frequently asked questions that Nintendo was willing to answer so far:

Polygon: Will this play NES carts?

Nintendo: No. The console is a standalone device, and does not use physical media of any kind.

Will there be anyway for Nintendo to sell or add additional games to the system down the line?

No. The console is a standalone device, so it cannot connect to the internet or any external storage devices. The 30 games included with the system were chosen to provide a wide variety of top-quality, long-lasting game-play experiences.

What sort of storage does it use?

We aren’t discussing technical specifications. However, it does not connect to any external storage devices.

Is this running via an emulator?

We aren’t discussing technical specifications.

How will saving work?

Each game has multiple suspend points, so you can start where you left off at a later time.

Will it support a video emulation mode like scan lines or crt emulation?

We will confirm these details later.

What are its dimensions and weight?

We aren’t discussing technical specifications, but it is small enough to fit in the palm of your hand.

What outputs does it have beyond HDMI?

The console outputs video only via HDMI.

Does it support expanded memory?

No.

Does it have a USB port?

Technically, yes, but that port is only used to power the system with the included AC adapter.

Will it support other NES controllers like the original, Nintendo remakes or wireless controllers?

In addition to the NES Classic Controller, the Classic Controller and Classic Controller Pro are also compatible with the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition. Both can be plugged directly into the console; however, when using two controllers, one of them must be the NES Classic Controller.

The new NES Classic Controller has a different connector than the original NES controllers and accessories, so they are not interchangeable.

Are there plans for coming out with other mini systems like the SNES?

We have nothing to announce at this time.

Do you have to blow on it to get it to work?

Some things are best left in the ’80s!

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/14/12193472/mini-nes-classic-edition-faq-nintendo

Edit:
    The Mini-NES Won't Get Games Beyond The Ones That Were Announced

Announced this morning to much fanfare, the classic-playing mini-NES is an exciting prospect for both old and new Nintendo fans. It’s a $60 device that plays 30 classic NES games ranging from Final Fantasy to Super Mario Bros. If you don’t like that list, you’re out of luck: Nintendo says this mini NES won’t be getting other games even after launch.

Addressing some of my questions today, a Nintendo spokesperson said that the console won’t be able to connect to the internet and that the company has no plans to support it with new NES games in the future. Also, in case you were wondering, the cartridge slot doesn’t actually open!

Our questions and Nintendo’s answers:

Will the mini-NES be able to connect to the internet?

No. The console is a standalone device, so it cannot connect to the internet or any external storage devices. The game lineup was chosen to provide a diverse mix of popular and recognizable NES games that appeal to a wide variety of players. Everyone should be able to find multiple games to enjoy.

On the same note: does Nintendo plan to sell other NES games for the mini-NES beyond the 30 it comes preloaded with?

No. The console is a standalone device, so it cannot connect to the internet or any external storage devices. The 30 games included with the system were chosen to provide a wide variety of top-quality, long-lasting game-play experiences.

Are there plans for other mini-consoles, like a mini-SNES or mini-N64?

We have nothing to announce at this time.

Just because people have been asking: safe to say it can’t play old cartridges, right? (Based on the image it looks like an NES cartridge would have around the same width as the entire console.) Does it open up at all?

The console does not use physical media and therefore the Chamber Lid does not open.

http://kotaku.com/the-mini-nes-wont-open-cant-connect-to-the-internet-1783693116

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

If it didn't run on emulation they'd say so. So it's an emulator in a fancy case.

I've it pre-ordered but the initial excitement is quickly wearing off. And my usual cynical self is slowly taking over again. I have until November to cancel so.....

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Seems like something Argos would stock as they have done lots of the handheld and plug in megadrive systems in the past. Looks like a cool concept pity there is no way to add further games though as the nes has some great games that stand the test of time. Looking at you turtles and probotector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Raspberry Pi in a NES suit would be my guess as to what this turns out to be. Weird that so many of the games are part two of a series. Needs Ducktales Marble Madness and Digger T Rock, damn license statue of limitations bs always getting in the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Not sure why the disappointment, theres nothing there that people actually expected was there? Storage would have been said when announced, the same for the ability to add games and it obviously wasn't going to play cartridges. It's perfectly fine the way it is to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Patww79 wrote: »

I would agree if the lineup of games wasn't of such a high quality and high replay quality as well. Would have driven up the cost as well and with these plug and play devices, cost is extra sensitive because lapsed gamers are a big target market for this. It would have been mentioned in the initial release anyway if games could be added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Indeed, but the costs would rise significantly. It's not as simple as adding a broadband adapter to it, there's tons of additional subsequent considerations like account management software, account security, etc etc. It'd quickly become an expensive box, costing more than people would be prepared to pay.

I see that :( Is that pure gouging or is there some actual reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

sligeach wrote: »
    Haven't heard that game mentioned in years. Probably at least a decade. A real blast from the past. I don't remember much about it but I know I liked it. Off to Youtube for some nostalgia overload.

Got this one from Santa the same day as my NES many moons ago and still play it probably at least once a year (albeit with an emulator instead of digging out the NES).

I remember the BMX and roller-skate events being the best ones and I could never really get a hang of the flying disk one.

Great game for its time but I'd fear any sort of remake would lose the simplistic charm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

For the price, I'm very happy with the 30 included games. Its a reasonably clever move to get something like this out for Christmas, remind everyone that Nintendo are still around and then hope to get a few more sales on the NX next year. Maybe even include some leaflets in the box about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Myrddin wrote: »
    I see that :( Is that pure gouging or is there some actual reason?
    It's back to £49.99 now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I wonder though, if it can do the extra sound capabilities that the Famicom could muster but the NES could not, for games like Castlevania 3?
    But, with it not included in the lineup, it doesn't look like we'll find out, this side of a hack anyway.

I say again, Japan must be getting a matching Famicom device, and that might be an even more interesting proposition.

Hackers will be all over this, I'd be very surprised if someone doesn't enable the loading of other games on it eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Hackers will be all over this, I'd be very surprised if someone doesn't enable the loading of other games on it eventually.

Yup, if that happens I'll be buying, otherwise I'm sticking to my wonderful RetroPie setup.

Nice idea though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

No Batman or Snake Rattle n Roll? For shame.

When was "PacMan" ever a classic NES game?

I wonder how they decided on the games to include. Would have been better to put it to an online vote I would have thought?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yup, if that happens I'll be buying, otherwise I'm sticking to my wonderful RetroPie setup.

Nice idea though.

Yeah, the idea that, for the price, you could have a RetroPie device running every Famicom, NES, Famicom Disc System, Super Nintendo, Super Famicom, SNES, Megadrive jap and EU, Genesis, 32X, GB/C/A, Game gear, Master System, Playstation and how the feck knows what else as well.
    I should know, I've one in my cab and one in a TV for my son to play.

Still want one of these though, I'd really would buy anything Nintendo branded....

mrcheez wrote: »
    No Batman or Snake Rattle n Roll? For shame.

I wonder how they decided on the games to include. Would have been better to put it to an online vote I would have thought?

Licensing would be a major headache for Batman's inclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

mrcheez wrote: »

Watch your mouth son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Watch your mouth son.

sorry no disrespect

:pac:..........................................

(just that the NES version never struck me as a classic... but I do likes me the arcade version)

Ms Pac Man would have been better :P

Ms Pac-man is definitely the better of the two. And I remember reading that the port of Pac-man to NES wasn't very good, well it certainly wasn't perfect. You wouldn't think such a simple game would be hard to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Regardless of how great it is, it's a nice little ornament to have!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Oh Ghosts 'N Goblins we shall meet again, this time with me hopefully beating it.

Happy Birthday to the NES. It's 33 years old today. That explains the timing of the Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System announcement.
    happy-birthday-nes.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

That would have been really class, but I imagine would have pushed the price way up.
    Indeed, but the costs would rise significantly. It's not as simple as adding a broadband adapter to it, there's tons of additional subsequent considerations like account management software, account security, etc etc. It'd quickly become an expensive box, costing more than people would be prepared to pay.

An SD slot and Ninty putting whatever else is needed access the store wouldn't cost that much and then consider that the games are all off their store (their store and to people who'll likely buy a lot).

Consider the price of a 2DS, they started off at $130 (dropped to $80 not sure offical price now) and the fact this has some of the more expensive components missing.

Advertisement