Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Classic Mini

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I heard someone say that Nintendo would need to use nothing more than a Wii Mini motherboard to get these games running. I can see why they kept it a closed system as it makes it harder for would be hackers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I like the precedent this is setting!!!

I await a remake of the SNES and N64 with bated breath!!! :eek::eek:

It took the NES 33 years to get this, so maybe in 7 years time we'll get a SNES version. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

sligeach wrote: »
    It took the NES 33 years to get this, so maybe in 7 years time we'll get a SNES version. :p

Think about it, if Ninty do this for the next 2 Xmas running with SNES and a 64 to follow I think I will cream my jocks, serious cash can stem from these if they do take them further...

I kick myself because of all the old machine's I sold on and in hindsight should have popped it in the attic, these devices are a god send for the likes of me...

There's another factor to consider when imagining a SNES version of this. Nintendo charge double the price for SNES games than that of NES games on the eShop. So theoretically a SNES Mini Classic with 30 games could be €100 maybe €120, that wouldn't be mass market friendly. And NES sales pale in comparison to SNES games on the eShop. So this is a way of getting some interest in them. Maybe in 4 years time they'll do a SNES version in time for its 30th anniversary. I think this is partly releasing this Christmas because they've very little else, nothing for Wii U at least, and it's the biggest holiday season of the year.

• Advertisement

I see "Nintendo Entertainment System" is currently trending at number 7 on Yahoo.

https://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?p=Nintendo Entertainment System&fr=fp-tts-903&fr2=ps

Possibly could have been placed higher but I wasn't looking the past few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The only interest I have in this is the controllers.

Hopefully they come out with SNES and N64 controllers that work with wiimotes for VC games too. N64 especially.

This will likely be a Neo Geo X situation, with dodgy emulation. The lack of proper AC adapter is guaranteed to lead to power issues with third party USB plugs causing it to burn out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

65 euro in smyths and 10 for the controller.
    Gamestop as you expect higher at 75 but that down from last Friday as it was 100 euro.
    Waiting to see the price Argos will have it at as usually cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Official trailer. 80s cheese in 2016.
    Does a great job of making you want to get one. :)

• Advertisement

Nintendo's Tiny NES is Small Enough to Fit in Your Pocket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45m1ZrRDHJM

Gives a real sense of how small the unit is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The length of the cable looks pretty short for the controller.

Will be grand when plugged into a wiimote, but will suck for anyone plugging it into a large telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

If you pre-order from Nintendo store you can get some nifty extras thrown in (also can claim cashback on Quidco):

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-classic-mini/nintendo-classic-mini-nintendo-entertainment-system.list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 1878_

Definitely pre-ordering this.

I hear what others are saying about having a micro SD etc, but I'm sold on nostalgia alone. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

mrcheez wrote: »
    If you pre-order from Nintendo store you can get some nifty extras thrown in (also can claim cashback on Quidco):

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-classic-mini/nintendo-classic-mini-nintendo-entertainment-system.list

Out of stock!!?!

Out of stock!!?!

Should be back again later I'd say. I'd say the bundle with the plush Mario is popular, probably the one I'd go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The Classic Mini will also have 3 different display modes:

- A 4:3 Mode
    - A 'pixel perfect' mode, which will display each pixel as a square.
    - A retro 'CRT' mode, which will simulate old CRT TV's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Corholio wrote: »
    - A 'pixel perfect' mode, which will display each pixel as a square.

Excuse my ignorance but what are they normally displayed as?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This will need a scan line emulator or it'll be pointless.
    Games meant for a CRT will look chunky and ugly on another display without the scanlines, the Retron5 for all its faults has this feature and makes the games shine even on a modern display.
    By adding the scanlines it raises the effective resolution of the graphics, making them far more pleasing to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but what are they normally displayed as?

At a guess it's playing at 1080p native resolution with each NES pixel represented by a square of pixels on the high res screen rather that just upscaling the whatever-it-used-to-be (567 lines?) directly to 1080p which could result in some pixels being approximated as irregular shapes depending on where they happened to fall in the original image?

Not sure that makes sense when I say it out loud.

• Advertisement

NES Classic Edition Will Feature a Brand New Emulator Developed by NERD

AKA Nintendo European Research and Development

When Nintendo unveiled the NES Classic Edition, it certainly caught many people off guard. Considering Nintendo's spotty VC support on its existing platforms, few would've guessed that the company would develop a standalone microconsole like this. While the jury's still out on how it'll do at retail, early reaction has seemed to be quite positive, and we now know that the software powering it is in good hands.

It was recently revealed that Nintendo European Research and Development (or NERD) is the team responsible for the emulation software that the mini-NES will be running. NERD has a pretty impressive resume; here's a few of the projects it's been responsible for over the past few years:
    • Super-Stable 3D on the New 3DS
    • Wii retail games being sold on the Wii U eShop
    • The video player in the Wii U internet browser
    • The DS Virtual Console emulator on Wii U

Hopefully the NES Classic will be yet another feather for its cap, then. Perhaps if it does well enough, we'll someday see a mini-SNES.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/08/nes_classic_edition_will_feature_a_brand_new_emulator_developed_by_nerd

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd like a mini-Virtual Boy, for my dog.
    He has always wanted to play Mario Tennis and Red Alarm, and up to now has been unfairly excluded.
    I told him to play Super Tennis and StarFox on the Snes, but he told me to be quiet, and that only mad people talk to their dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'd like a mini-Virtual Boy, for my dog.
    He has always wanted to play Mario Tennis and Red Alarm, and up to now has been unfairly excluded.
    I told him to play Super Tennis and StarFox on the Snes, but he told me to be quiet, and that only mad people talk to their dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

If they make the Euro one 50Hz I give up...

sligeach wrote: »

Curious to know how this emulator would differ from established foolproof emulators like FCE ?

Myrddin wrote: »
    If they make the Euro one 50Hz I give up...

Power of positive thinking Myrddin!

I do believe in no borders!
    Amen!
    I do believe in no forced slowdown!
    Preach it brother!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Gamers sans borders.

Gaming Sans Frontières.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Gaming sans underpants

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Power of positive thinking Myrddin!

Their approach to the VC and keeping things 'nostalgic' by having them at 50hz kill any positive thinking :o

Advertisement