Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Classic Mini

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Will it come with a HDMI cable or scart?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Will it come with a HDMI cable or scart?

HDMI. Though going by the length of the controller cords it'll be 10cm long. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Myrddin wrote: »
    Their approach to the VC and keeping things 'nostalgic' by having them at 50hz kill any positive thinking :o

Think they do that so that the languages for the regions are retained, so, y'know, less work. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Thanks, now I've sledgehammer on repeat in my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

These are available to pre-order on Amazon.co.uk now too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

These are available to pre-order on Amazon.co.uk now too

Actual link :p

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Classic-Mini-Entertainment-Electronic/dp/B01IFJEWTM/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Emailed Smyths this morning about the missing AC Adaptor in EU stockists and got back; "we will be stocking the Nintendo Classic Mini Power Adaptor and this should be up on our webstie in the coming days."

So there's that fire quenched.

Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System - A Blast from the Past

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SYfdwtv3eI

Japan is also getting their mini version of the Famicom in November.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip8GONQFcc0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

sligeach wrote: »
    Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System - A Blast from the Past

Japan is also getting their mini version of the Famicom in November.

Ive always liked the famicom design, would love if they released an pal version with the games in English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Ive always liked the famicom design, would love if they released an pal version with the games in English.
    I recall seeing one in the flesh (so to speak) at 'Peats of Parnell St' back in the day and being transfixed by the look of it as a kid!

Some of the release dates of the games on it are slightly baffling- Super Mario Bros 3 (as us Westerners know it) was released in 1988?
    Open to correction here of course, but I used to get all of the old mags back then and don't recall it ever being available as one of those 'grey imports' (remember those ;) ?!) at that time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've got an AV modded Famicom and, to be honest, they are a dinky console to begin with.
    I have most of the games on them already, but reckon I'll pick them both up, the NES mini on launch and the Famicom Mini as soon as some affordable import options are available.

room_149 wrote: »
    I recall seeing one in the flesh (so to speak) at 'Peats of Parnell St' back in the day and being transfixed by the look of it as a kid!

Some of the release dates of the games on it are slightly baffling- Super Mario Bros 3 (as us Westerners know it) was released in 1988?
    Open to correction here of course, but I used to get all of the old mags back then and don't recall it ever being available as one of those 'grey imports' (remember those ;) ?!) at that time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._3
    Yup, 1988 in Japan, took another 18 months to come out in the US and another 18 months to arrive in the EU, in August 1992 :eek:
    I think everyone knew it as Super Mario Bros 3, it was written in Japanese to mimic the Anglo name "Sūpā Mario Burazāzu Surī"

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Yup, 1988 in Japan, took another 18 months to come out in the US and another 18 months to arrive in the EU, in August 1992 :eek:
    I think everyone knew it as Super Mario Bros 3, it was written in Japanese to mimic the Anglo name "Sūpā Mario Burazāzu Surī"
    Thanks for that bit of info- I definitely remember seeing it in (London) shops circa Christmas 1991 though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I knew Nintendo would announce a new console with detachable controllers before the end of September :pac:

Corholio wrote: »
    I knew Nintendo would announce a new console with detachable controllers before the end of September :pac:

Someone shoot this man, please....

First appeared in the US via the Fred Savage film The Wizard... God damn I loved that movie.

"I love the Power Glove. It's so bad."
    (and it was... literally)

NES Classic vs Wii U Virtual Console - Head-to-Head Emulation Comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocGdWRF84Q0

The NES Classic Mini emulation looks so much nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭VelcroGhost

The difference between them is amazing. I tried playing some Virtual Console games on the Wii U, but after Super Mario Maker's fake NES graphics I just couldn't get used to it. NES Mini looks exactly like what my mind was expecting.

There's something wrong when a €50 bare bones machine can emulate NES games better than the Wii U. Nintendo should be able to put them on the eShop for new buyers or as an upgrade to those that already purchased them. Nintendo probably won't though because that would take from the NES Classic Mini sales. Maybe for NX it'll happen.

• Advertisement

Any thoughts on this?

Of course
    You could buy a Famicom and play them as Shigsy intended...
    Build up a nice cart collection gradually.
    Be able to feel smug around those limited to emulation, official or otherwise....
    You know, like, you could do that...

mrcheez wrote: »
    Any thoughts on this?

I suppose it'll all depend on the quality of the emulators, the lag or lack of and the sort of image and filters available, bearing in mind these are games built for a CRT being displayed on a flat panel.
    Also, it'll be interesting if the retrobit devices controller is any good, the Retron5 controller is pants and I've never used a Sega clone pad that wasn't terrible.

I suppose it'll all depend on the quality of the emulators, the lag or lack of and the sort of image and filters available, bearing in mind these are games built for a CRT being displayed on a flat panel.
    Also, it'll be interesting if the retrobit devices controller is any good, the Retron5 controller is pants and I've never used a Sega clone pad that wasn't terrible.

Main concern for me would be the size of the NES controller in my adult hands, although I read you can use the Classic Controller Pro which is ok I guess.

Too bad it isn't playable with my Wii U Pro controller though.

(btw Retro Bit having an SD slot is interesting... could be opened up to be a full-on all-in-one emulator)

See the Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System in action!

The Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System arrives in stores on 11th November 2016 but you can get an early look at the system in action this Thursday on Nintendo UK’s Twitch channel or, indeed, right here…

https://www.twitch.tv/nintendouk

The Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System arrives in stores on 11th November 2016 but you can get an early look at the system in action this Thursday on Nintendo UK’s Twitch channel or, indeed, right here…

Over the course of an hour we’ll be joined by Retro Gamer editor Darran Jones to tackle some of our favourite Nintendo Entertainment System games in glorious HD and 60Hz for the first time! We’ll also be giving away a Nintendo Classic Mini live on the show to one lucky viewer, so make sure to tune in and take part!

The Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System livestream takes place Thursday 6th October at 4pm live on Nintendo UK’s Twitch channel. Don’t miss it!

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2016/October/See-the-Nintendo-Classic-Mini-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-in-action--1143958.html

https://www.twitch.tv/nintendouk

I'm sure we'll be excluded from entering the competition just like all the other ones even though when you click on their Twitter account where I found the story, it greets you with "Welcome to Nintendo's official UK/Eire Twitter."

Here's a repeat of today's Twitch stream which showcased the Nintendo Classic Mini for those of you who missed it.

Nintendo UK Live + Retro Gamer - Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F4aZVHIJa4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Pre ordered in Smyths toy shop yesterday. Release date is nov 11th and it's tipped to be THE present to get this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think I'll preorder too. This thing will be a bitch to get before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Mr E wrote: »
    I think I'll preorder too. This thing will be a bitch to get before Christmas.

Amazon say they hope to fulfil orders by mid-December but aren't taking pre-orders any more. They are only taking emails to let you know when back in stock.

• Advertisement

The device could be a great way of getting the punters to pay, themselves, to raise the brand awareness of Nintendo.
    All in prep for the NX.
    A way of meaning that, when faced with the choice of a NX purchase, the last Nintendo machine you will be familiar with won't be the one that hosted a sh1t version of Watchdogs.
    And, again, the punters will pay for the promotional material themselves.
    Well played Nintendo, well played....

Advertisement