Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Classic Mini

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I still cant believe its april and I still don't have one... very sad.....

It is ridiculous alright. Smyths website says it'll be available in June but sure that could just be a placeholder. I thought it said April before but I don't think anything arrived. You could nearly be looking at Christmas when I'd see Nintendo pushing it again with decent numbers of stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Once the SNES mini comes out and we're all busy garotting eachother with gamepad cables and beating eachother to death with the bones of Bayou Billy, I think we'll all be able to look back on this time with a little perspective.

RUMOR - AUSSIE RETAILERS NOT GETTING ANYMORE NES CLASSIC EDITION STOCK

It's been a worldwide discussion for awhile now. Is Nintendo done manufacturing the NES Classic Edition? There's always some evidence going on out there, and today we're hearing things about the Aussie situation.

While EB Games just received stock of the NES Classic Edition, it seems like that's going to be the last run. Multiple inside sources claim the system isn't going to get shipped in Australia anymore, and whatever retailers have received is the final run.

As for what this means for the rest of the world, that remains to be seen. We'll try to get some more info on the situation for you guys.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/277731-rumor-aussie-retailers-not-getting-anymore-nes-classic-edition

http://www.vooks.net/report-thats-nintendo-classic-nes-mini-australia/

I think if it does ever see a return, they might try and make it more hack proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

faceman wrote: »
    Just for anyone thinking of ditching the idea of getting a mini and using the NES emulator on Retropie, unfortunately the retropie emulator for the NES just isn't the same performance wise.

Hopefully you'll get your Classics soon!

How so? Seems fantastic here on a Pi3?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, the NES emulation on the Pi3 and even the Pi0 seems just fine to me, and then there's all the other stuff it can do as well.
    Even a Pi Model B is good enough to do a good job with the 8/16bit systems, and they are only around €25 or less nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Yeah, the NES emulation on the Pi3 and even the Pi0 seems just fine to me, and then there's all the other stuff it can do as well.
    Even a Pi Model B is good enough to do a good job with the 8/16bit systems, and they are only around €25 or less nowadays.

Can you plug the NES controller into those? Or one that matches?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You can get any number of usb controllers, including ones that look like NES pads, or even better, Super Nintendo pads.
    I have one running in my arcade cabinet, wired up to the control panel, and it works perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

Maybe I'm missing something here cause I've only read last few pages but seems there's loads here on Amazon..... Are these all just too overpriced?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B01IFJEWTM/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new&coliid=I13PQW5JKZILOB&colid=3741G0SFTUR34

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Maybe I'm missing something here cause I've only read last few pages but seems there's loads here on Amazon..... Are these all just too overpriced?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B01IFJEWTM/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new&coliid=I13PQW5JKZILOB&colid=3741G0SFTUR34

Overpriced marketplace sellers and quite a few dodgy just launched sellers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Inviere wrote: »
    How so? Seems fantastic here on a Pi3?

Did you change your settings on PI3 for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

faceman wrote: »
    Did you change your settings on PI3 for it?

Nope, stock settings...it's more than powerful enough to handle NES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Added about 50 more games there now and that will do
    Time to get the second controller

Added about 50 more games there now and that will do
    Time to get the second controller

It has been officially discontinued in North America.
    A Nintendo representative provided the following statement to IGN:

“Throughout April, NOA territories will receive the last shipments of Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition systems for this year. We encourage anyone interested in obtaining this system to check with retail outlets regarding availability. We understand that it has been difficult for many consumers to find a system, and for that we apologize. We have paid close attention to consumer feedback, and we greatly appreciate the incredible level of consumer interest and support for this product.”

Additionally, a representative told IGN, “NES Classic Edition wasn’t intended to be an ongoing, long-term product. However, due to high demand, we did add extra shipments to our original plans.” The company has no plans to produce more NES Classic systems for North America.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2017/04/13/nintendo-discontinues-the-nes-classic-edition

Arkanoid is still a LOT of fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Xenji wrote: »

... and the touts rejoice!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Xenji wrote:

Bad news for the 2 people that were manufacturing them.
    :o

Sad end to a fairly embarrassing mess. I own mine thanks to an absolute fluke find in Smyths as they were being literally unboxed. I may have seen the largest stockpile ever in 1 place. 10. I bought 2 of them. First and last time I ever seen them in shops. @(#/+¥;§ scalpers and CEX must be rubbing their hands with glee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would put money on a relaunch before xmas this year.

colm_mcm wrote: »

Better odds on a SNES mini, but Nintendo are a strange company at times.

• Advertisement

Only if they can sort out the hacking. And I can only imagine the vitriol and scourn I'd be pouring had I not been so lucky.

What hacking do they need to sort out?

What hacking do they need to sort out?

You can basically add any NES rom you want to the system, even Genesis games as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Can't get one anywhere

Absolute scumbag touts

Just shocking

**** Nintendo

Xenji wrote: »
    You can basically add any NES rom you want to the system, even Genesis games as well.

But as they're not selling games separately for the Mini, they probably don't care.

But as they're not selling games separately for the Mini, they probably don't care.

They still sell them digitally for use with the Virtual Console on the 3DS and Wii U and when it launches on the Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

This article suggests that it only relates to North America -http://kotaku.com/nintendo-discontinues-the-nes-classic-1794303321- do you think we will be okay here in Europe - I have one and love it but I was hoping to pick one up for my brother in law's 40th in May - he's not worth the scalper's price lol and I was sure in January that the shops would have plenty of stock by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

sligeach wrote: »
    Sad end to a fairly embarrassing mess. I own mine thanks to an absolute fluke find in Smyths as they were being literally unbowed. I may have seen the largest stockpile ever in 1 place. 10. I bought 2 of them. First and last time I ever seen them in shops. @(#/+Â;¥Â§ scalpers and CEX must be rubbing their hands with glee.

Wanna do a fellow Nintendo fan a favor and sell me the second one you bought

Wanna do a fellow Nintendo fan a favor and sell me the second one you bought

I'm sorry but I purposely bought 2 so I'd have 1 to play and the other to keep sealed eternally. Funny thing was the guy in Smyths knew of the situation regarding its availability but didn't seem to care and would have let me buy all 10 had I the money. Hopefully there's 1 print run left at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I'm not surprised if Nintendo have stopped producing the Mini NES, Wii U was dead and Switch along way way so they threw out a temporary console that sadly got swallowed up by "touts"

I only got mine at Switch launch as the Gamestop employee offered me mine and though yeah why not

Advertisement