Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Classic Mini

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I have an awful feeling that we are being led along, just to placate us.
    And in about 4-6 weeks time they'll say that they are "stopping" production soon.

I hope I'm wrong, but I am a cynical bastard all the same :D

Took a bit longer than I thought, I posted this on 19th Jan.
    I knew what they were up to :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sligeach wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I purposely bought 2 so I'd have 1 to play and the other to keep sealed eternally.

And you say it with no hint of irony.
    It's people buying like this that deepens the shortage for others.
    Unlike gougers, you are not even selling it on, back into the market, it's just sitting on a shelf.
    Funny thing was the guy in Smyths knew of the situation regarding its availability but didn't seem to care and would have let me buy all 10 had I the money. Hopefully there's 1 print run left at least.

Not sure why it would be Smyth's responsibility who buys the stock, although a one per customer policy would have made it a little easier for people who just want the device to get one at rrp.
    Otherwise it's the moral compass of those buying that is the determining factor, which means those looking for one are screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Unlike gougers, you are not even selling it on, back into the market, it's just sitting on a shelf.

Can't say I see much wrong with buying one for use, and one for collection purposes. I'm not in a dissimilar position, I've an NES Mini & a Famicom Mini...I'll likely NEVER play them, but am a Nintendo fan so just wanted them. To me, buying two of them for a practical reason isn't on the same planet as hoovering up as many of them as possible in order to profit off of them, not even comparable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Not sure why it would be Smyth's responsibility who buys the stock, although a one per customer policy would have made it a little easier for people who just want the device to get one at rrp.
    Otherwise it's the moral compass of those buying that is the determining factor, which means those looking for one are screwed.

It's Nintendo's fault, not mine. They never even came close to satisfying demand. I regularly buy second copies of games. I don't see anyone upset that I bought a second copy of Star Fox Zero.
    Inviere wrote: »
    Can't say I see much wrong with buying one for use, and one for collection purposes. I'm not in a dissimilar position, I've an NES Mini & a Famicom Mini...I'll likely NEVER play them, but am a Nintendo fan so just wanted them. To me, buying two of them for a practical reason isn't on the same planet as hoovering up as many of them as possible in order to profit off of them, not even comparable.

Ya, there were people buying the lot in Smyths and then they were sitting on CEX's shelf not 10 minutes later for €175(that price will now likely increase).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Agree, I wanted to pick up a second one to keep as a mint one for the shelf or when/if current machine stops working. I've done the same with 2 iPod Classic 160GB that are still boxed and in wrapping. More because its my favourite player and I have backups when my current one dies but also as an "emergency fund" in case I need cash urgently. They've trebled in value since they stopped making them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

FamiCom minis have rocketed in price on Amazon here in Japan already.

I've secured a few models at normal price but will be offering to friends first before I know if I have any spare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

FamiCom minis have rocketed in price on Amazon here in Japan already.

I've secured a few models at normal price but will be offering to friends first before I know if I have any spare.

Do you mind me asking where you found them at normal price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Does anyone here have one for sale? I don't mind paying above rrp was let down again

I'm losing my faith in people these days I swear

Famicom Mini's were always going to be pricey in this neck of the woods, they're things you can't buy on a shelf here, and have to be imported. The time to buy was a few weeks/months ago, as I can see them skyrocketing price wise after this announcement.

It's stupid really, but again, Nintendo are absolutely no strangers to manipulation of supply & demand. They're logistical infrastructure can be cited as an explanation, but for a company with a budget the size of a small country, I don't buy it. I feel it goes back to PR, how many times have people seen the word Nintendo in print since these mini's became so scarce?

The Famicom Classic Mini is finished too.

The Famicom Classic Edition Has Now Also Been Discontinued

"This product has ended production for now. When production is being resumed, we will tell you on our website."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/04/the_famicom_classic_edition_has_now_also_been_discontinued

• Advertisement

The Famicom Classic Mini is finished too.

Buy now, or forever hold your peace :) I suppose the message hints at a possible return, it's hard to know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Lol. Yeah it's nothing to do with Nintendo not stocking enough or scalpers selling them to total fu*king morons for 300 quid. Nope it's people buying them to keep for themselves yeah that's it.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Lol. Yeah it's nothing to do with Nintendo not stocking enough or scalpers selling them to total fu*king morons for 300 quid. Nope it's people buying them to keep for themselves yeah that's it.

I think Ciderman's point was that the more of something you buy to hoard, the less there is in supply, thus contributing to the rise in price. There is an element of truth in this, and we've seen before with rare games that when a consignment of new old stock is found and hits the market, it definitely affects the price (the great Tesco sale of a few years back, and Metroid Prime Trilogy springs to mind). However, with the Nes Mini, the stock levels are SO low to begin with, it's definitely less so to do with people buying two of them, and much more so to do with a severely limited supply from the manufacturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

I picked up one in the Nintendo store last week. The queues for the Switch outstretched that for the NES classic. I wasn't even buying one, but when it's offered to you.....oh well 😳

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

It's Nintendo's fault, not mine. They never even came close to satisfying demand. I regularly buy second copies of games. I don't see anyone upset that I bought a second copy of Star Fox Zero.

The second copy, no. But you are constantly telling us how upset you are with the first :D

(and rightly so, but I'm not passing up the opportunity to get a dig in :D )

Arguing "Moral Compass" has no place in capitalism, I understand that, but I also understand that I'm a 40 year old man who pretends to be a fruit-eating dinosaur made of wool at the weekends and I am not alone, and while I did get one from smyths many didn't, and perhaps they're not the kind of people you want upset by waving your unused, unopened NES Minis in their faces lest you wake up one morning with a plumbers head in your bed? Look, there is a solution.

Everyone who bought 2, take your sealed one and put it on Adverts for below RRP. Sell it for below RRP. Critically, sell it for below RRP to someone who already has 2 NES Minis, and is selling theirs on to another owner. And you also buy one for the same below-RRP price from a fellow collector. BUT, before doing so, you put in a below RRP bid on a scalper's NES Mini, cite the low price they're being sold for elsewhere, then when the price doesn't drop you withdraw your lowball offer advising you got one from another seller. And then repeat. So you get to keep your 2nd NES Mini but in a postman's van instead of on top of a wardrobe or in the attic. Eventually the price will come down. This idea has nothing to do with my new sideline in selling light-weight carbon fibre and aluminium boxes that are just the right size for keeping your NES Mini in mint condition while it's circulating in and out of post offices, or that time I watched the Big Short.

https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=04549634NM01

When did that price increase? €295? That's ****ing outrageous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

That's disgusting

And this weasel hasn't wasted any time either.

http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/nintendo-classic-mini-boxed/12704856

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I dunno its cheap compared to CEX :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=04549634NM01

When did that price increase? €295? That's ****ing outrageous!

Today. I was checking it out yesterday and it was buy for E70 cash/vouchers, sell for E150.

Surely if the ratios scaled, they should now be buying for E140/E150.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

How expensive do people think these could become on the second hand market ?

s8n wrote: »
    How expensive do people think these could become on the second hand market ?

It's hard to say, could continue to rise and plateau off somewhere, or it could die down in a while when the casuals inevitably lose interest. One thing is certain, if the Snes Mini is ever announced, get in there very early...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

It's hard to say, could continue to rise and plateau off somewhere, or it could die down in a while when the casuals inevitably lose interest. One thing is certain, if the Snes Mini is ever announced, get in there very early...

Were casuals buying the classic? I was kinda interested but never really bothered since the stock situation seemed so dire. Reckoned I'd eventually pick one up after things calmed down.......

psinno wrote: »
    Were casuals buying the classic?

You bet :) Nostalgia trippers, hipsters, gamers, collectors, you name it...everyone wanted one, and still do!

ah **** this **** I'm done typical money hungry touting bastards even joe soaps are getting greedy... absolute joke

my first memories of gaming where I played a machine to death was the nes... sad to think I'm being forced to pay through the nose because the scum in the country see a chance to take advantage of regular consumers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

You bet :) Nostalgia trippers, hipsters, gamers, collectors, you name it...everyone wanted one, and still do!

I didn't say were casuals wanting I said buying. I wanted one but like I said I never even tried to buy. Maybe I'm just past the age for chasing stock or buying over priced off ebay. Granted I kinda presumed there would eventually be stock.

psinno wrote: »
    I didn't say were casuals wanting I said buying. I wanted one but like I said I never even tried to buy. Maybe I'm just past the age for chasing stock or buying over priced off ebay. Granted I kinda presumed there would eventually be stock.

I said wanted because demand far outstripped supply, the lucky people got to buy them. The hype train and buzz for these was massive, no matter the motivation for wanting one.

I said wanted because demand far outstripped supply, the lucky people got to buy them. The hype train and buzz for these was massive, no matter the motivation for wanting one.
    there was a certain amount of luck but have heard stories of store staff stockpiling these and now selling them for ridiculous money. pure ****ing greed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

the lucky people got to buy them.

That's quite insulting to those of us who's dedication to refreshing various stock-watching site bordered on being a DDOS attack. Some fluked it. Some earned it!

Advertisement