Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Classic Mini

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Chrono Trigger and Mario RPG or else...

We'll hack it and add them ourselves. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

jester77 wrote: »
    SNES mini rumours have started

You said it yourself. It's a "rumour". It's hardly worth a new thread at this stage. There's enough disappointed people looking for the NES Classic Mini without a possibly fictional product adding to it. Sure I'd love to see it but Eurogamer are wrong as often as they're right and there's plenty of reasons to say why this won't happen. At least not for another few years.

• sligeach wrote: »
    You said it yourself. It's a "rumour". It's hardly worth a new thread at this stage. There's enough disappointed people looking for the NES Classic Mini without a possibly fictional product adding to it. Sure I'd love to see it but Eurogamer are wrong as often as they're right and there's plenty of reasons to say why this won't happen. At least not for another few years.

I would be hugely surprised if a report written by Eurogamer was wild speculation. They are normally fairly spot on IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

Any one of us can likely play every single Snes game ever made within a matter of minutes if we wanted to, for free too. But when Nintendo give us that same ability, and put it inside a little piece of molded plastic, we lose our minds and instantly become 12 again. For all their faults, Nintendo are bloody geniuses too.

Deep down we all want nintendo to live forever so the occasional gouging of our nostalgic muscles is ok if I can still play Zelda in 2117 when I am 214 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Chrono Trigger and Mario RPG or else...

We'll hack it and add them ourselves. :D

I've got the originals....
    Mostly...
    There's a story behind Mario RPG.
    The git I bought it from lifted the US mobo from it and stuffed in a Jap one instead.
    In the end I got a eeprom flashed with the proper region file and now it works as it should.

Chronotrigger is minty though.

I had mario rpg 6 years ago never had chrono trigger on snes, have it on ds in front of me right now but it's not the same damn it it's not the same...

Am trying to think of the really niche snes games I'd want if this does happen but the licencing would be screwed on most by now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Kirby's Dreamland 3 is pretty great.
    And I'm wondering about 1st vs 3rd party, and permissions.
    I mean, are Nintendo going to negotiate with Square for their Snes library?
    Capcom had an incredible run of games on the Snes, as did Konami.
    So, Contra III, Sunset Riders, Cybernator, Knights of the Round, Batman Returns?
    Super Mario World, Super Mario Allstars and Super Mario Kart are sure things, but what about Shadowrun or Top Gear 2000?
    Maybe Alien 3 or Super Ghouls'n Ghosts?

Street Racer, Lost Vikings, Zombies ate my neighbours, Actraiser, the list is endless, make this happen please superman.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Shaq Fu

• Advertisement

• Inviere wrote: »
    Any one of us can likely play every single Snes game ever made within a matter of minutes if we wanted to, for free too. But when Nintendo give us that same ability, and put it inside a little piece of molded plastic, we lose our minds and instantly become 12 again. For all their faults, Nintendo are bloody geniuses too.

That's the thing, and to add to that I actually went to bother of completing some of the games on it. Something about it being official and having a limited amount of games made me make the effort.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Shaq Fu

Fook Yu!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭00011000

Anywhere to still get these in store? I know in the US they are still trickling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

00011000 wrote: »
    Anywhere to still get these in store? I know in the US they are still trickling in.

They have been discontinued world wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Xenji wrote: »
    They have been discontinued world wide.

The manufacturing has stopped alright, but some stores in Americaville are still being sent stock.

Best Buy are due to have stock today according to GameSpot on Twitter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

marcbrophy wrote: »
    The manufacturing has stopped alright, but some stores in Americaville are still being sent stock.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/money/consumer/best-buy-has-one-last-chance-to-get-your-hands-on-a-nintendo-nes-classic-edition-on-monday

"Long lines are expected..."

So.. assuming you can get to the US, you then need to plan to queue for hours on the slimmest of chances of getting one.

In reality, it's best just to assume they are no longer available.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

marcbrophy wrote: »

Aye, hopefully they go to people who are actually going to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

http://time.com/4759594/nes-classic-millions-sales/
    Which leads to the 2.3 million sold figure, a very respectable achievement for a system that plays games three decades old. When I asked Fils-Aime about the potential for the NES Classic to resurface as a product in future years, he declined to add anything to Nintendo's existing statement, which stipulates that the company has "no plans to produce more NES Classic Edition systems for NOA regions."
    But Fils-Aime did suggest the reason why the company pulled the brakes on a system amidst unprecedented demand. "Even with that extraordinary level of performance, we understand that people are frustrated about not being able to find the system, and for that we really do apologize," he said. "But from our perspective, it's important to recognize where our future is and the key areas that we need to drive. We've got a lot going on right now and we don't have unlimited resources."

http://time.com/4759594/nes-classic-millions-sales/

So, not unlimited resources, but enough resources to make the New 2DS XL?

As a business they are in it for the money, and generating a legacy.
    That legacy needs new users as much as the old, and a Nes Mini has a finite appeal, despite it's great sales.
    It was unlikely to be indefinitely sustainable.
    A cheaper portable device to capitalise on new upcoming software and Amiibo sales is more likely to capitalise on new users and make them into fans that'll spend money on Nintendo for years to come.
    The NES Classic Mini was never going to do that.
    It was a bookend for people who used to play Nintendo.

Quick question on Hakchi ... does Hakchi (I'm using Hakchi2 if that makes any difference) use the native NES Classic mini emulator unless you specifically activate the retroarch one via arguments?

Just that I'm noticing some games look really bad in CRT mode whereas I'm sure they looked better when I played them in the original unhacked version.

OTT blurry.

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »
    Quick question on Hakchi ... does Hakchi (I'm using Hakchi2 if that makes any difference) use the native NES Classic mini emulator unless you specifically activate the retroarch one via arguments?

Just that I'm noticing some games look really bad in CRT mode whereas I'm sure they looked better when I played them in the original unhacked version.

OTT blurry.

anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

anyone know?

I dunno, but hacking Nintendo machines isn't recommended, appreciate them for what they can do without needlessly tinkering around with them! ;):pac:

I dunno, but hacking Nintendo machines isn't recommended, appreciate them for what they can do without needlessly tinkering around with them! ;):pac:

pfft... the only part of my Wii U that I use is the hacked software

Nintendont FTW

so, eh, back to the original question I guess noone here knows so I'll dig deeper. Might ask the hakchi guys directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

anyone know?

Yip, the default games use the default emulator which supports the CRT mode.

RetroArch does not support CRT mode, maybe this was fixed in one of the later releases. Any extra games you install run under retroarch, if you want to play the original games on retroarch you have to install them separately, which means you will have 2 versions of the game on the device. But hakchi allows you to hide the original games.

jester77 wrote: »
    Yip, the default games use the default emulator which supports the CRT mode.

RetroArch does not support CRT mode, maybe this was fixed in one of the later releases. Any extra games you install run under retroarch, if you want to play the original games on retroarch you have to install them separately, which means you will have 2 versions of the game on the device. But hakchi allows you to hide the original games.

OK cool, so when I play a ROM I added (like Double Dragon I) and play it through the "CRT mode" it's actually a bastardised version of the "CRT mode" you get for the original 30 games?

Just that it looks terrible, whereas the CRT mode for the original 30 doesn't look half-bad for games like DD 2

Saying that though, I'm finding the "Pixel Perfect" version looks great in some games like Batman

Actually this is pretty cool .. some arguments you can add to games to improve the CRT version under hakchi

https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassicmods/comments/5nzq3m/scanlines_glorious_scanlines/

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Anyone know to get one at normal price? CEX has them for 230. Is second hand only way to go? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

Anyone know to get one at normal price? CEX has them for 230. Is second hand only way to go? Cheers.

You can still get the Famicom Mini at a very decent price relatively speaking, about €100 delivered - http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1312.R1.TR0.TRC2.A0.H0.TRS4&_nkw=famicom+mini&_sacat=0

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Is is the same? just the Japanese version? will it work over here? thanks, man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Amazon Germany have Mini NES Controller's up for order 20 quid including postage https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01IH5O186

Advertisement