Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learners permit - Do I need to be insured if I am with a full license holder

• 14-07-2016 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

If I am driving with a full license holder who is insured in the car, do I need to be insured in that car to drive with a learners permit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,656 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes unless you have driving other cars on your policy which would be highly unlikely if you have a learners permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

If the full license holder rents a car, would it be possible for me to get insured on that rental car with a learners permit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,656 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

BogMonkey wrote: »
    If the full license holder rents a car, would it be possible for me to get insured on that rental car with a learners permit?
    Can't imagine that happening tbh. I don't know for sure, but am willing to bet a large amount that you need a full licence to be covered on a rental car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Amanda.ie

I think most rentals are full D/lic and over 25yrs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, unless you're a named driver on the car's policy or have a policy in your own name covering you to drive that car, the only way you can be covered is in a driving school car. I realise the difficulties for young learners getting cover but the acrobatics you're suggesting just won't work.

Rental companies will not allow someone with less than a full licence to drive the car under any circumstances, even if you have four passengers holding full licences onboard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

If I am driving with a full license holder who is insured in the car, do I need to be insured in that car to drive with a learners permit?

If you are the driver, you must have current 3rd party insurance at a minimum.
    It can be as named driver on a policy of another (friend or hire firm) but you must be insured to drive the car, truck, bus whatever...

Advertisement