Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Limerick

• 14-07-2016 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice. I got offered a job just outside Limerick city and currently looking for accommodation. I've been offered a two bed house near John St. Just wondering what the area is like as one or two people advised me not to move there.

I was looking at house shares etc and other areas but it seems scarce to get a place (and doesn't help that I have to travel to the city once I arrange viewings and secondly, I don't drive).

I'm starting working on the 25th but at the same time if I'm panicking and just taking the place. Currently the accommodation is costing 750 (around 35% of net wage). Is that too much?

Thanks for

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭Villa05

There are a few threads on this forum relating to John street, might be worth a search. I would echo your friends sentiment

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Large Plain

Thanks gor your response.

Can I ask why in your opinion not to move there?

Thanks
    LP

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice. I got offered a job just outside Limerick city and currently looking for accommodation. I've been offered a two bed house near John St. Just wondering what the area is like as one or two people advised me not to move there.

I was looking at house shares etc and other areas but it seems scarce to get a place (and doesn't help that I have to travel to the city once I arrange viewings and secondly, I don't drive).

I'm starting working on the 25th but at the same time if I'm panicking and just taking the place. Currently the accommodation is costing 750 (around 35% of net wage). Is that too much?

Thanks for

Its a fairly rough area.

Where abouts will you be working?

Out by City East/Ballysimon.....

http://www.daft.ie/limerick/apartments-for-rent/limerick-city/castlecourt-clancy-strand-limerick-city-limerick-1661117/

Just a 5min walk over Sarsfield Bridge to get the bus to City East/Ballysimon

Might be worth a look....

• Advertisement

Thanks, I've been trying to arrange a viewing but no joy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

Have you looked at house shares in the Curragh Birin/Bru na Gruadan/Cois Ghruda estates in Castletroy? Daft is showing a good few options in the 250-350 euro p/m price range, under 10 minutes walk from City East.

Give this crowd a call (Jim):

https://www.daft.ie/cork/estate-agents/cork-city-centre/citylettings/

They have a lot of property to rent in Limerick, don't always advertise on Daft...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The nicest places to live that are near the city centre are probably Clancy and O'Callaghan Strands. Joseph Street, Wolfe Tone Street, O'Connell Avenue and South Circular Road are pretty good too.

There are exceptions to the above too. You can be lucky and find very nice apartments in Places like Pery Square, Barrington Street and Upper O'Connell Street, but in my experience these tend not to be advertised on daft. They're often rented on a word of mouth basis, so you'd have to know a lot of people before you get lucky.

John Street is not very pleasant. On the plus side it is fairly central and it's near the Milk Market. I can't imagine there's particularly great apartments there though, but it's worth looking at what's on offer anyway.

Any more questions, just ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yoghurt87 wrote: »
    Have you looked at house shares in the Curragh Birin/Bru na Gruadan/Cois Ghruda estates in Castletroy? Daft is showing a good few options in the 250-350 euro p/m price range, under 10 minutes walk from City East.

Wouldn't go near Curragh Birin. Too busy with students during the year.

Look at Caislean na hAbhainn if possible

• Advertisement

Thanks All,

I' had been looking to stay close to city centre as possible and preferably not a house share.
    The place I looked at was in good nick and of a good standard compared to the quality of places I've lived previously. As I said it's what I've been hearing about Johns St and area since is what is putting me off as I've fallen for the property itself!

Thanks All,

I' had been looking to stay close to city centre as possible and preferably not a house share.
    The place I looked at was in good nick and of a good standard compared to the quality of places I've lived previously. As I said it's what I've been hearing about Johns St and area since is what is putting me off as I've fallen for the property itself!

Can you show us where exactly the place is? There's one area of John's Gate which I'd steer clear of. Otherwise you'd be fine.

Beside Hourigans....

• Registered Users Posts: 23 sammy2016

i lived around the corner from here just recently and id advise stair clear,my car got broken into 3times,windscreen smashed twice and some one hit the car the second time and kept driving also its not very safe in the winter evenings u have all sorts hanging around street corners and laneways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm generally an advocate for city centre/city suburb living, but if you are going to be working in City East and don't drive, living in Curragh Birin/Bru na Gruadan/Cois na Ghruda might be more practical than the city centre. The bus service to City East is very limited (hourly) and if you miss that, it's a long walk to/from the nearest 304 bus stop. Cycling could be an option but bear in mind there is no cycle lane along the Ballysimon Rd and the traffic is heavy. On the other hand you could walk from Curragh Birin/Bru na Gruadan/Cois na Ghruda to city East fairly easily and cycle in minutes on a good cycle lane on that route. And for going into town you could leave home in the other direction and get the 304 or 308 from the Dublin Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

You're not going to get a nice place on your own for less than 750 in a decent part of town. You might have two or three years ago but not anymore.

John St is a kip, there's no two ways about it. I was looking for my own place a couple of years ago and saw a two bed house for 400 euro in John's Gate so went for a spin up to see the area and pretty much ran out of the place. It was disgusting. Nappies, prams, bikes and toys all over the greens and roads. I ended up getting a nice two bed apartment in Brookfield Hall for 550 a month but prices have increased a good bit since then I think.

You're looking at room sharing realistically if you want to spend 250/300. I would echo the idea of living close to Ballysimon as it's a handy walk/cycle over and it's a decent part of town. Avoid Curragh Birín, mental when college is on. Cois Gruada isn't bad. Glanntán, Kylemore or Ashfort around the corner are decent spots where you might pick up a room.

In town, Mount Kenneth and some of the other places around the Dock Road might fit your budget, but they are pretty rough spots, I wouldn't be living there myself.

wigsa100 wrote: »
    Glanntán, Kylemore or Ashfort around the corner are decent spots where you might pick up a room.

They aren't bad spots if you have a car but they are very out of the way if you are on foot. Especially as the south end of the Golf Links Road has no pavement. I know someone with no car who moved out that way and it's been a bit of a nightmare and very isolating. It takes about half an hour to walk into Castletroy/the Dublin Rd and then has to rely on the 304 to get anywhere else. Cycling could be an option but there are no cycle lanes and a lot of the roads are rural with relatively heavy traffic.

iguana wrote: »
    They aren't bad spots if you have a car but they are very out of the way if you are on foot. Especially as the south end of the Golf Links Road has no pavement. I know someone with no car who moved out that way and it's been a bit of a nightmare and very isolating. It takes about half an hour to walk into Castletroy/the Dublin Rd and then has to rely on the 304 to get anywhere else. Cycling could be an option but there are no cycle lanes and a lot of the roads are rural with relatively heavy traffic.

Yeah I agree with that. Although there is a pavement going nearly all the way down to the bridge now if that's the end you're talking about. Unfortunately I think those are the best estates he'll get that are relatively near to East Link. Ballysimon Rd is a pain in the arse to get to if you're not driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

Look in Corbally. Within walking distance of city centre. About 6k to City east with good bike lane most of the way.

Toffeeboy wrote: »
    Look in Corbally. Within walking distance of city centre. About 6k to City east with good bike lane most of the way.

6km is a hell of a long way without a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

not by bike. Or get a bus from Town

Toffeeboy wrote: »
    not by bike. Or get a bus from Town

Nobody wants to cycle 6km in pissing rain and start a day of work. Getting a bus from town would require getting to town first, which would defeat the purpose of not living in town as originally suggested. The issues with the bus route have been highlighted.

wigsa100 wrote:
    Nobody wants to cycle 6km in pissing rain and start a day of work. Getting a bus from town would require getting to town first, which would defeat the purpose of not living in town as originally suggested. The issues with the bus route have been highlighted.

Plenty of people cycle that distance. Also, many progressive businesses provide shower facilities for people who cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭Villa05

zulutango wrote:
    Plenty of people cycle that distance. Also, many progressive businesses provide shower facilities for people who cycle.

I would imagine that many of them have an alternate mode of transport for our more challenging weather

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Another option would be Castletroy View/Glenbrook. Don't know about walking/cycling down Bloodmill Lane in the dark though.

Villa05 wrote: »
    I would imagine that many of them have an alternate mode of transport for our more challenging weather

Perhaps.

But if you've decent gear, and can have a shower when you get to work, then you can cycle in pretty much any weather. The bigger limitation is the design of the roads. This can affect the safety and the efficiency / speed of cycling, making it unattractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭BelleOfTheBall

Childers road area glenbrook, Castletroy view you are close retail park and parkway. Buses well services into town with Ul bus passing every 20mins

It's not impossible to cycle 6km to work but when there are closer options, in decent estates it would be a bit silly. Tbh, OP what you would be best advised to do is take a houseshare in a house near to where you work. And unless there are medical reasons why you can't, use the money saved by sharing to get your learner's permit and take driving lessons. By next year you could have a full license and be able to pick and choose where you live. It's probably a skill you will want to develop at some point anyway and there is no time like the present. (I say this as a current older learner driver who never needed to learn so didn't bother at times when it would probably have been easier.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

This place on William street is just on the edge of the city center. William street continues on to Ballysimon road. It would be about a 5 to 10 minute cycle to City East. Or you could get the 307 bus from outside the door of the apartment but it only runs every 60mins. If it's a road side apartment it might be a little noisy but I'm not too sure.

http://www.daft.ie/limerick/apartments-for-rent/limerick-city/the-steeples-upper-william-street-limerick-city-limerick-1654026/
    http://www.eurobuslimerick.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/307-Cappavilla-PDF-Timetable-Mon-Fri-Jan-2014-.pdf

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement

I'd live in town if I were OP. The suburbs are soul-less and unintersting. A 10 minute cycle isn't a problem.

Advertisement