Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Limerick

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

zulutango wrote: »
    I'd live in town if I were OP. The suburbs are soul-less and unintersting. A 10 minute cycle isn't a problem.

There's an area off John St with new houses - Quinns Lane; it has been destroyed with rubbish everywhere - turned into a right kip.

There isn't really many options in the areas closest to the city centre. Anyone I know normally rents in the outer suburbs Annacotty, Castletroy, Dooradoyle etc. I don't know anyone who has rented within Childers road - Garryowen, Roxboro, Weston, Island etc. Some nice areas off O'Connell Avenue & Ennis Rd other than that I can't think of anywhere within Childers rd I'd be attracted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭Villa05

I don't know anyone who has rented within Childers road -.

Norwood, Granville, lynwood park, castletroy view and all that general area is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

Villa05 wrote: »
    Norwood, Granville, lynwood park, castletroy view and all that general area is fine

Maybe - I just never hear of people renting in those areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

They are all fine/lovely areas but nearly all owner occupied, so very little to rent. Which may be a big part of why they are nice areas, as they are proper communities because people live there for years/decades, know their neighbours and take part community life. (That's not to say renters are all bad people who will destroy a community, but they are generally more transient and neighbourhoods with transient populations don't get to 'mature' in the same way.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I cannot see how the city centre is in any way less soul-less than the suburbs imo. It's hardly a mecca of interest either unless discount or coffee shops are your thing. The city centre becomes a ghost town on weekdays once the majority of businesses close at 6.00pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Sure is! I grew up here, moved away and came back and bought. Very few people (if any) renting though.

Would be ideal area for working in Ballysimon. Close enough to walk. Buses to town, UL, etc. stones throw from Childers road, Aldi, shopping. Pretty quiet neighbourhoods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

zulutango wrote: »
    I'd live in town if I were OP. The suburbs are soul-less and unintersting. A 10 minute cycle isn't a problem.

OP could do a house share nearby in Castletroy for a few months then find a decent spot in town. Cycling 10 mins in the rain before work day is not everyones cup of tea.

I'd steer clear of where you were looking originally OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

You could try this one OP. Afaik, it's a nice enough complex and the area is fine. It's at least a half hour walk to City East though. Or a 10 minute cycle on mostly bike lanes if you take the Groody Hill and Groody Road route. It's very near the Parkway for shopping, a 10/15 minute walk to town and a few minutes from the canal and river which is great if you want to take a walk in nature.

http://www.daft.ie/limerick/apartments-for-rent/limerick-city/cherrydale-court-dublin-road-limerick-city-limerick-1659285/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Large Plain

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. The reason why the city centre was for travelling reasons as I would be travelling to Galway, Cork & Dublin at weekends mostly and maybe during the week too.

Also starting to think a house share maybe the way to go until I find my feet and save to purchase a car. It looks like I'll need it!

Advertisement