Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Low Cost Holidays

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Tippex wrote: »
    see if you can get the same room through booking.com as a backup option.

Everyone affected by this are going to be scrambling for the next week or so.

Had a look there, can book but won't be. They are looking for €8670

Tippex wrote: »
    it all depends if it was lowcost who prepaid (unlikely) or one of their suppliers. If it was one of their suppliers they are likely to cancel it (the hotel may be willing to tell you who prepaid it)

Yesterday I was told a supplier had prepaid my room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If you paid in full, you would have received a booking reference number for the hotel.
    They will have the room booked( in general ) for you.
    You just need to call the hotel and check if it's paid. If not you'll need to pay again.
    They may need you to email them the reservation number.

If you paid in full, you would have received a booking reference number for the hotel.
    They will have the room booked( in general ) for you.
    You just need to call the hotel and check if it's paid. If not you'll need to pay again.
    They may need you to email them the reservation number.

Did this, was told yesterday my room had been paid in full. Today they say it hasn't been paid for but to call back again tomorrow as its a public holiday today.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ProfessorChef

Rackstar wrote: »
    Did this, was told yesterday my room had been paid in full. Today they say it hasn't been paid for but to call back again tomorrow as its a public holiday today.

I emailed my hotel asking if a supplier or lowcostholiday prepaid the hotel, they said that they dont know if lowcostholiday did pay an agency or not and to email back the day before I go, so I've booked the same hotel through booking.com just in case and will cancel if need be. Kinda stuck in the middle

• Advertisement

I emailed my hotel asking if a supplier or lowcostholiday prepaid the hotel, they said that they dont know if lowcostholiday did pay an agency or not and to email back the day before I go, so I've booked the same hotel through booking.com just in case and will cancel if need be. Kinda stuck in the middle

Not going for 6/7 weeks. Same hotel is now over 8k on booking. Will wait and see what the hotel says.

Really caught in the middle here. LCH used a supplier who the hotel said yesterday had paid them, today they say they haven't been paid. Really at the mercy of the hotel and the supplier now, who's to say they won't take advantage of the situation? Have been paid already and get me to pay a second time?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ProfessorChef

Rackstar wrote: »
    Not going for 6/7 weeks. Same hotel is now over 8k on booking. Will wait and see what the hotel says.

Really caught in the middle here. LCH used a supplier who the hotel said yesterday had paid them, today they say they haven't been paid. Really at the mercy of the hotel and the supplier now, who's to say they won't take advantage of the situation? Have been paid already and get me to pay a second time?

And there's nothing we can do about it, on Monday I will be bringing it up with my bank. They also said to me that it has ben booked and prepaid and that on the day were leaving they will request payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 bettyl

Website says that hotel reservations will still be there but cost will most likely have to be paid locally. Good job I rang hotel because they told me that travel agent had cancelled my booking. I hope no one automatically thinks hotels are still reserved for them and arrive to find this is not the case.

Only booked holiday Tuesday evening and they're gone on Friday.

I called my hotel in the Algarve last night and again today (twice)

They confirmed my reservation at reception.
    When I called reservations today they asked I email them the details and they would get back to me by email to confirm how much I owed them in a few days.

I called reception again this evening to confirm again and advise I would keep the booking.
    Its 1100 for 6 night s on their website and I paid 750.

I got onto Avant to do a charge back this morning .

Flying next Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Its quite amazing that the media here have all but ignored this story. A small article in the Irish times, but nothing whatsoever by indo or herald - usually they are screaming blue murder.

Seems indo / herald journalists go home at 5pm Friday and don't work weekends.

Seems lch are bonded here, so those who booked with the Irish website (.ie) will have a lot more protection than those who booked in the UK where no bond was in place.

As the media don't seem to have any interest in thousands of Irish people affected by this, it will be Monday before proper information is available for Irish based customers.

• Advertisement

VincePP wrote: »
    Its quite amazing that the media here have all but ignored this story. A small article in the Irish times, but nothing whatsoever by indo or herald - usually they are screaming blue murder.

Seems indo / herald journalists go home at 5pm Friday and don't work weekends.

Seems lch are bonded here, so those who booked with the Irish website (.ie) will have a lot more protection than those who booked in the UK where no bond was in place.

As the media don't seem to have any interest in thousands of Irish people affected by this, it will be Monday before proper information is available for Irish based customers.

Didint realise they were bonded here. HAve you a link?

MAy I suggest we ask mods to merge this and the travel forum thread so that everyone effected has one place of reference.

Didint realise they were bonded here. HAve you a link?

MAy I suggest we ask mods to merge this and the travel forum thread so that everyone effected has one place of reference.

http://www.aviationreg.ie/news/lowcostbeds-trading-announcement.740.html.

So people need to ignore a lot of what is said in British media as protection here is an awful lot better.

Just a pity the irish media have ignored the story.

http://www.aviationreg.ie/news/lowcostbeds-trading-announcement.740.html.

So people need to ignore a lot of what is said in British media as protection here is an awful lot better.

Just a pity the irish media have ignored the story.

Will that include accommodation only?

I doubt it, but if you paid by credit or debit card you just do a chargeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

no accommodation only is not covered by the bond. This is where the credit/debit card chargeback comes into play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

Winterlong wrote: »

Took them an age to report on it unfortunately they have just regurgitated the piece on the lowcost site which is irrelevant to irish clients and don't reference the regulator's site stating they are bonded here and they will outline what to do next week

Just seen they updated to include a paragraph from the CAR's statement

On the bright side, everyone here is lucky compared to the 100,000+ in the UK.

If they are lucky, they'll get about £7 compensation as uk didn't insist on being a member of their bond system.

Looking at older news reports, this was flagged in 2013.

Ouch.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

On the bright side, everyone here is lucky compared to the 100,000+ in the UK.

If they are lucky, they'll get about £7 compensation as uk didn't insist on being a member of their bond system.

Looking at older news reports, this was flagged in 2013.

Ouch.

I thought they were bonded in Spain as he moved operations there a few years ago, and people should be covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

This company removed themselves from the UK bonding by moving their operation to Spain.. this should have rang alarm bells with folk who ended up using them. I have only ever used them for airport car parking and would not use them for accommodation which is generally you pay LCH up front and LCH pays the hotel / apartments closer to the time you are due to stay. Presumably they have taken a hit from the sterling fluctuations but they should have known the risk and sounds like they used the Brexit thing as a convenient excuse

• Advertisement
Advertisement