If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kef flat speakers

Options
  • 14-07-2016 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

hello,
        I have a denon avrx2300 and was looking to upgrade my boston soundware front speakers and subwoofer. Love the look of the  kef t2 subwoofer and flat t301 front pair. Would you recommend them and what would be the best price for the 3? Is it much better value to get the 5.1 package(very expensive I know)?
        Many thanks
        James

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

hello,
        I have a denon avrx2300 and was looking to upgrade my boston soundware front speakers and subwoofer. Love the look of the  kef t2 subwoofer and flat t301 front pair. Would you recommend them and what would be the best price for the 3? Is it much better value to get the 5.1 package(very expensive I know)?
        Many thanks
        James
    Hi James,

Thanks for your message and apologies for taking so long to get back to you. The new Denon amp is fantastic, we have one in our demo room at the moment and it sounds great. To answer your question about the Kefs, this is not a model I have had in store so unfortunately I haven't heard them and can't give you an honest review of them, however, I have had customers in the store who have heard them and from what I can gather they were not impressed. The reason I would be dubious about flat speakers is that cabinet design plays a vital role in the sound, a rigid, deeper cabinet generally gives good bass response and a more "solid" sound. The reason TV's sound so rubbish at the moment is we are putting already thin speakers in thinner and thinner cabinets and this gives a very bright, harsh and top heavy sound. My theory seems to agree with the feedback from other customers who have heard them.

That's not to put you off though! My advice would be to see if you're able to demo a set to see what you think of them. If you are looking for discreet speakers I would recommend a Monitor Audio In Wall speaker which would give a beefier sound, however there's a lot to be said for the more traditional bookshelf or floorstander speakers as your fronts as these are the main speakers in your system, dealing with Stereo music as well. Something like the new Bronze 2s would be a vast improvement on the Bostons as they are What Hi Fi Award winners for best bookshelf speakers up to £400.

I hope this information has been helpful. As I say I haven't actually heard the Kefs running myself so they might be grand. If you have any other questions drop me a message!

Kind Regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jamescullen

hello,
        Many thanks
        James
    Hi James,

Thanks for your message and apologies for taking so long to get back to you. The new Denon amp is fantastic, we have one in our demo room at the moment and it sounds great. To answer your question about the Kefs, this is not a model I have had in store so unfortunately I haven't heard them and can't give you an honest review of them, however, I have had customers in the store who have heard them and from what I can gather they were not impressed. The reason I would be dubious about flat speakers is that cabinet design plays a vital role in the sound, a rigid, deeper cabinet generally gives good bass response and a more "solid" sound. The reason TV's sound so rubbish at the moment is we are putting already thin speakers in thinner and thinner cabinets and this gives a very bright, harsh and top heavy sound. My theory seems to agree with the feedback from other customers who have heard them.

That's not to put you off though! My advice would be to see if you're able to demo a set to see what you think of them. If you are looking for discreet speakers I would recommend a Monitor Audio In Wall speaker which would give a beefier sound, however there's a lot to be said for the more traditional bookshelf or floorstander speakers as your fronts as these are the main speakers in your system, dealing with Stereo music as well. Something like the new Bronze 2s would be a vast improvement on the Bostons as they are What Hi Fi Award winners for best bookshelf speakers up to £400.

I hope this information has been helpful. As I say I haven't actually heard the Kefs running myself so they might be grand. If you have any other questions drop me a message!

Kind Regards

David
    thanks for the info. Will have to go for an on wall speaker to keep herself happy. Reviews of the monitor soundframes seem to be really good but I think they will be out of my price range. How much for two sf1 or sf2s to go either side of the telly or do you keep them in stock at all? Is there a difference in sound between them?

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi James,

The Monitor Audios are great speakers from what I've heard. It's not a model we normally hold in stock but if you leave it with me I will try to get you a price in the next couple of days?

Kind Regards

David

Hi James,

The Monitor Audios are great speakers from what I've heard. It's not a model we normally hold in stock but if you leave it with me I will try to get you a price in the next couple of days?

Kind Regards

David
    that would be great, thanks

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi James,

we can do 2 of the Monitor Audio SF1 Soundframe at £799 and two of the Monitor Audio SF2 Soundframe at £829..

..have you had a look at the Monitor Audio Radius 225 which is a super slim speaker - it comes in a variety of finishes including stunning piano lacquer white or piano lacquer black and some wood finishes - it comes with a dedicated wall bracket and it sounds brill!

Have a look here:
    http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/radius/radius-225

Keep us posted!

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew  

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Hi James,

we can do 2 of the Monitor Audio SF1 Soundframe at £799 and two of the Monitor Audio SF2 Soundframe at £829..

..have you had a look at the Monitor Audio Radius 225 which is a super slim speaker - it comes in a variety of finishes including stunning piano lacquer white or piano lacquer black and some wood finishes - it comes with a dedicated wall bracket and it sounds brill!

Keep us posted!

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew  
    hi, 
       thanks for your response. The radius seem to be good and are much cheaper than the soundframe which is obviously great. The soundframe seem to have deeper bass though. Do the monitor soundframes sound much better than the radius speakers? I would like to get a good system but I don't want to waste my money either. Are they worth the extra money in your opinion?
          James

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.