Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you register a C plate to a D plate

• 14-07-2016 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭

Anyone know if its possible to change the registration on a car

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭td2008

Yes, but you would need to move up north for a while and come back :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Morto having a C plate. Sell the car.

td2008 wrote: »
    Yes, but you would need to move up north for a while and come back :pac:

Does it not go back to the original number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Del2005 wrote: »
    It does.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Nope, I got to get rid of my horrible TN reg that way :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

td2008 wrote: »
    Nope, I got to get rid of my horrible TN reg that way :cool:

Did you have to pay VRT on it?

ceekay74 wrote: »
    Did you have to pay VRT on it?

Actually worked out quite well - when I moved up north I got a VRT rebate on the car , was up there for about 9 months or so and qualified for the VRT exemption when I came back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Esel wrote: »

It does.

Old number can't be reassigned, as td2008 has said a new number is issued, also it's actually an offence to display the original registration number.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/faqs-vrt.html#question48
    I am importing a vehicle from another country which had been previously permanently exported from the State under the Export Repayment Scheme. Do I have to re-register the vehicle?

A vehicle previously registered in the State and permanently exported under the Export Repayment Scheme would have received a VRT refund.

Such a vehicle is unregistered in the State and must be presented at an NCTS Centre for registration within the normal timeframe. VRT will be payable at the time of registration and a new Irish registration number will be issued.

It will not be possible to have the vehicle motor taxed without receiving the new registration number, as the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport will have been informed that it has previously been permanently exported.

It is an offence under Section 131(6) of the Finance Act of 1992, subject to penalties under Section 139 of the Finance Act of 1992 (as amended), to display the original number on such a vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ I wonder is that only since they introduced the VRT refund?

I wonder would the same apply if you were importing a car which had not had VRT refunded?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

When I bought home my D reg car, my mothers only comment "Pity it doesn't have a nice C reg" :)

Esel wrote: »
    ^ I wonder is that only since they introduced the VRT refund?

I wonder would the same apply if you were importing a car which had not had VRT refunded?

Yes should have actually put that in for vehicles exported prior to 8th April 2013.
    I am importing a vehicle from another country that has previously been registered in Ireland. Do I have to re-register the vehicle

A vehicle previously registered in the State and exported prior to the introduction of the Export Repayment Scheme on 8th April 2013, may not be liable to pay VRT. The previous Irish registration number may be reused, provided that the vehicle classification has not changed since its first registration in the State. The Motor Tax office should be contacted in these cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As I've said in the past, I'm amazed that the Government haven't cottoned on to the "nice little earner" that would be letting people pay for personalised plates or (in the case of 2nd hand cars) re-registering the car to their county of residence when they buy it

I for one would do it anyway.. I miss my D reg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Technique

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    As I've said in the past, I'm amazed that the Government haven't cottoned on to the "nice little earner" that would be letting people pay for personalised plates or (in the case of 2nd hand cars) re-registering the car to their county of residence when they buy it

I for one would do it anyway.. I miss my D reg.

Totally agree. Something like €150 and there would be a huge take up. Too many otherwise good second-hand cars are artificially devalued because they have the 'wrong' number plate. They should also lower the cost of reserved numbers for new cars. €1,000 is far too much, a lower fee would result in a much greater income for the state for something which costs the state nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Drive your C reg with pride instead :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭goochy

As a dub who is an adopted corkonian you should be proud to have a plate from a decent place !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

goochy wrote: »
    As a dub who is an adopted corkonian you should be proud to have a plate from a decent place !

But the op has a Cork plate, so can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭goochy

Best run county by a mile !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Some of the worst roads I've ever come across are in cork.

Couldn't be arsed with this type of reg plate snobbary personally.

I could see people paying money to have the county changed though,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

are people actually ar$ed about what county their car was originally registered in?

lads ye have not got much to worry about

• Advertisement

Maybe one day we will see this kind of excitement about wanting to change a MO to a SO plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

They could charge a lot more than e150. I'd pay 500 or so... They should create a new south Dublin opt in reg, an extra few hundred a year for that. Would be quite the money spinner I'd imagine :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

Technique wrote: »
    Totally agree. Something like €150 and there would be a huge take up. Too many otherwise good second-hand cars are artificially devalued because they have the 'wrong' number plate. They should also lower the cost of reserved numbers for new cars. €1,000 is far too much, a lower fee would result in a much greater income for the state for something which costs the state nothing.

I think this is an excellent idea too. Fools and their money are soon parted.

cml387 wrote: »
    I think this is an excellent idea too. Fools and their money are soon parted.

The reality is however that the reg plate on a car DOES make a difference to its resale value and desirability

You may think it foolish, but when if you're selling say a Passat with a DL reg for example.. would you rather accept less because of its "Boy racer/must be trashed" image, or would you rather be able to re-register it as a D and get a few quid more?

The sooner they make plates random numbers/letters the better so we get away from this year/county prestige bullcrap.

biko wrote: »
    The sooner they make plates random numbers/letters the better so we get away from this year/county prestige bullcrap.

No thanks.. the current system is easy to read and logical. Year, county, and identifier

The ridiculous shyte of adding 1/2 to the end of the year should be scrapped though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Tbh I can understand why the legislators wouldn't be arsed with this. I'd say the few on here that care what's on their number plate are not representative of Joe and Josephine Soap.

On the flip side, it could cause headaches if suddenly loads of cars want to re-reg to D, making D numbers go ridiculously high compared to other counties.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Tbh I can understand why the legislators wouldn't be arsed with this. I'd say the few on here that care what's on their number plate are not representative of Joe and Josephine Soap.

On the flip side, it could cause headaches if suddenly loads of cars want to re-reg to D, making D numbers go ridiculously high compared to other counties.

The way to counter that is to set it up so the car can only be registered to the county the owner is resident in (link it to say the motor tax/insurance address) and can only be done at time of purchase.

Yes there's ways around that too - "sell" the car and use the address of a friend in the county you want - but most wouldn't be bothered with those lengths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

No thanks.. the current system is easy to read and logical. Year, county, and identifier

The ridiculous shyte of adding 1/2 to the end of the year should be scrapped though.

It might be logical, but it's definitely not easy to read.
    Number plates with small letter and number (comparing to what you could fit on a plate that size) and unnecesery high amount of characters in a reg number (amounting up to 9 characters currently, but very likely to reach 10 soon).
    It's definitely not easy to read when car just did hit and run, and cases like that is the main reason we have big number plates displayed on our cars.

• Advertisement

The reality is however that the reg plate on a car DOES make a difference to its resale value and desirability

You may think it foolish, but when if you're selling say a Passat with a DL reg for example.. would you rather accept less because of its "Boy racer/must be trashed" image, or would you rather be able to re-register it as a D and get a few quid more?

I think it's foolish to buy a car on a few digits on a plate then on condition. Plenty of D reg cars have a hard life with owners who have zero mechanical sympathy and don't know what servicing is.

GM228 wrote: »
    Old number can't be reassigned, as td2008 has said a new number is issued, also it's actually an offence to display the original registration number.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/faqs-vrt.html#question48

Seems like a lot of trouble to change a letter.

I think it's foolish to buy a car on a few digits on a plate then on condition. Plenty of D reg cars have a hard life with owners who have zero mechanical sympathy and don't know what servicing is.

True.. but everything else being equal, people do prefer certain reg plates (whether it's a D or whatever county they're from) and the ability to change that on purchase would be win-win for buyer and seller

As well as the Government/economy if a reasonable fee was charged. I'd say €250 or less and they'd pull in a fair bit of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Why does anybody need to understand it though?

It just has to be a unique code - random numbers and letters would do this more easily.

With regards to the posts about permanently exporting and then re-importing a vehicle, how does that affect the date of first licensing/registration in Ireland date?

Usually this is based on when the vehicle receives it's Irish registration number, but in this case a vehicle is potentially on it's second number.

So does the cert accurately show when the registration number was issued or when the new number was issued?

Also does the vehicle then show as an "import" in the likes of Cartell even though technically it's an Irish car originally?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

As well as the Government/economy if a reasonable fee was charged. I'd say €250 or less and they'd pull in a fair bit of cash.

The public sector would lose money at this price.

• Advertisement

GM228 wrote: »
    With regards to the posts about permanently exporting and then re-importing a vehicle, how does that affect the date of first licensing/registration in Ireland date?

Usually this is based on when the vehicle receives it's Irish registration number, but in this case a vehicle is potentially on it's second number.

So does the cert accurately show when the registration number was issued or when the new number was issued?

Also does the vehicle then show as an "import" in the likes of Cartell even though technically it's an Irish car originally?

It shows "first registered in Ireland" as the reimport date. Doesn't say anything about import on the cert but it does have the UK number as the previous reg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

I think it's extremely stupid and parochial that people have to permanently have the year and county the first owner was from, displayed on the reg for the entire life of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

It could be a lot worse.

You could have a system where the plates change on each change of ownership. Now that would cause chaos.

Define chaos? It's just an identification number on a vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I think it's extremely stupid and parochial

or a stroke of genius from the money hungry government and car dealers....
    encouraging people to continually upgrade their car to a new model, knowing that keeping up with the Jones mentality is in this country

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

Or you could implement a more sensible system where private no. plates are permitted as per the UK and USA. Of course the SIMI and the politicians they 'lobby' would never allow they current cosy arrangement to be disturbed.

Or you could implement a more sensible system where private no. plates are permitted as per the UK and USA. Of course the SIMI and the politicians they 'lobby' would never allow they current cosy arrangement to be disturbed.

You've got to hand it to SIMI, the myth that they've created that Ireland has a motor industry is now an accepted fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

It works in Poland like that, and doesn't really cause any chaos.
    So why would it here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

mittimitti wrote: »
    Anyone know if its possible to change the registration on a car
    C plate is priceless,,,,,what the hell would you change it to a dirty old dub number for,should have stopped u on the cork border, done u for wrong representation, must get into the border guards,and tell them to tighten up security, imagine ,a dub in a c reg car,what next? Old Lizzie moving to south armagh,worlds gone crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sure it's easy to read extract that info from reg. But why do you need to?

You don't need to know where a random car who overtakes you was regged.
    When a car hits somebody and drives off, is it better to be able to tell the guards a 6 character unique reg. Or that it was a 06-C-23 something something reg.

Advertisement