Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evading hybrid.

Options
  • 14-07-2016 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a racing bike and do 20/25 km couple times a week. That's it. I do find the racing bike sitting position ... somewhat.. awkward..I find myself trying to sit up straight from time to time as I feel a bit "cramped" not the right word ..but it's annoying ...I like the bit of cycling but this issue is a little off putting...from a comfortable cycling point of view ..I know everyone has their own favourite type of bike and that ..is there advantages of the hybrid over the usual racing bicycling model...

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Is the bike definitely the right size and fit first of all? If not you'll never be comfortable for long

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I use both, with the majority being on a drop bar bike and the hybrid for smaller jaunts to the shops etc...

Hybrid is good for short trips, comfy, less of a concern about theft locked up outside shops / pub. Personally, I prefer flat pedals in traffic.

Road bike is more comfy on longer trips due to more even weight distribution, more stable descending (drop bars + clipless pedals), better range of positions, less wind resistance in drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Weepsie wrote: »
    Is the bike definitely the right size and fit first of all? If not you'll never be comfortable for long

Good point .I think it is. Got "fitted" at stags in Lucan ....seemed very professional! ...I.think that's probably not the issue ..mist get it checked again tho. Good point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

You may just need a fitting. I spent €50 on a 40 minute session getting fitted for my road bike and it made a huge difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

smacl wrote: »
    I use both, with the majority being on a drop bar bike and the hybrid for smaller jaunts to the shops etc...

Hybrid is good for short trips, comfy, less of a concern about theft locked up outside shops / pub. Personally, I prefer flat pedals in traffic.

Road bike is more comfy on longer trips due to more even weight distribution, more stable descending (drop bars + clipless pedals), better range of positions, less wind resistance in drops.

+1. I did one or two sportives on the hybrid and was quite uncomfortable by the 100k mark.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

+1. I did one or two sportives on the hybrid and was quite uncomfortable by the 100k mark.

First time I did the WW200 it was on a hybrid. Was very glad of the sprung Brooks saddle, and don't think I'd do it again. Mind you that chap on the Dublin bike has been doing it for a few years now. Makes you properly appreciate the term 'hard as a jockey's bollix' :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

smacl wrote: »
    First time I did the WW200 it was on a hybrid. Was very glad of the sprung Brooks saddle, and don't think I'd do it again. Mind you that chap on the Dublin bike has been doing it for a few years now. Makes you properly appreciate the term 'hard as a jockey's bollix' :pac:

Yeh fair deuce to the guy. But I hold my cajones in too much regard to subject them to the torture of doing 200km on any route on a dublin bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I did one Rebel and two ROK's on a Trek 7.2FX. Coming down from Healy pass on it was quite dangerous on it so converted to a proper road bike in the meanwhile. My Trek is now my pub bike!

Advertisement