Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a survey on a property

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Do you know anyone who's knowledgeable when it comes to looking at properties or construction? If you see something you're thinking of making a bid on, bring them along to a second viewing and have them take a look for you. Then when the time comes to have a survey done, there shouldn't be any nasty surprises.

Personally, I would not trust a survey commissioned by the vendor. Certainly not in Ireland with the way the regulations are enforced. And unless you're unlucky enough to be gazumped (I think it's an appalling practice but I shall not rant), you'll only be commissioning the one survey anyway.

If you think the surveyor is a money making racket, just you wait until you have to pay the valuer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

The idea that surveying is a money making racket is daft-all services are money making rackets-it is simply business. Having your car serviced, going to the dentist, buying petrol-any service you buy is a money making racket. The fundamental problem is that buyers can't see or don't appreciate the value of the service they are paying for. No problem spending €1000 on a set of big alloy wheels on the new car because the wheels can be seen by everyone or spending €150 on a designer shirt because it can be seen by everyone.

I know of one person who bought an old house out near Glasnevin and did not have it surveyed. Moved in to discover the house was riddled with woodworm and it was not just in the roof, it was in the stud walls and floor boards. A €300 survey would have picked it up. Sensible people pay to have a secondhand car looked over and pay €100/150 for a €15,000 item but feel put out paying €300 for a house survey. No logic. You don't have to have a survey but most houses no matter how well they look do have issues of some sort. Same for new houses-get it snagged before you move in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

A house survey will show you any major problems or large repairs to be made .dry rot, rising damp etc
    if You buy a house built in 1980 don.t expect it to be up to the standard of a house built in 2010.
    Building regs re sound ,insulation, change every 10 years .
    many older house,s tend to be larger ,
    Have larger gardens than a standard 3bed semi d house .
    Surveys are not a rip off .
    My friend bought a house semi d ,built in 1988
    he did not get a survey .
    He had to put in proper insulation in the roof and put in 8 pvc windows .
    All the windows were single pane , wood frame .
    There was a very low level of insulation in the attic .
    He is very happy with the house .
    he did not feel it was necessary to get a survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Timelapse

Well obviously you can google one in your area. I'd say most people go by word of mouth though. Coincidentally I had a survey carried out recently by a really excellent surveyor and I'd be happy to recommend him to you via pm if you want.
    You'd have to be Dublin based though.
    I've been hearing a lot recently that many surveyors are booked out well in advance and charging at what i'd consider to be the upper limits of normal.
    Apparently the property market is booming despite that 'Brexit means the end of the world' thread that was so popular a few weeks ago :rolleyes:

Hi Hazydays,

Can you please pm me the surveyor you used?
    I am looking to get one done on a newly built house in Dublin.

Thanks,
    Timelapse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The point I was trying (not very successfully obviously!!!) was that less money OVERALL would be spent on surveys if the responsibility for it switched to the vendor instead of the potential sellers.
    You save €400 so that you have to spend €45,000 to fix it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

Well obviously you can google one in your area. I'd say most people go by word of mouth though. Coincidentally I had a survey carried out recently by a really excellent surveyor and I'd be happy to recommend him to you via pm if you want.
    You'd have to be Dublin based though.
    I've been hearing a lot recently that many surveyors are booked out well in advance and charging at what i'd consider to be the upper limits of normal.
    Apparently the property market is booming despite that 'Brexit means the end of the world' thread that was so popular a few weeks ago :rolleyes:

Hazy days would you PM me your surveyor recommendation? thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭fifigogo

I’ve been looking around for a surveyor to inspect a bungalow in Blacklion, Cavan. I made an appointment with one and was always left dealing with the receptionist who kept forgetting to get back to me and the auctioneer, then had to change the dates. The surveyor is charging €553 incl vat. I got a quote from another surveyor who spoke to me himself and email me the terms of engagement. He will also do a planning search with the co co and check the portfolio map and do a report but it will costs €800 incl vat and fuel because it’s outside his area. I was interested in a house a few months ago, went sale agreed, got a surveyor who charged less than €400 but I was left with a very inadequate report, I had to get a 2nd opinion and there was more wrong with the house than the 1st surveyor reported. Turns out he and the auctioneer were very friendly. Is the €800 guy way over priced for what he’s going to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭patsy mulcaghy

kceire wrote: »
    Because as a buyer I want my surveyor to be independent of the seller. I don't want their opinion on what is an issue or not.

Sounds like good advice. On this topic, I'm looking at a place currently; the vendor wants a sale 'Not Subject to Survey', and EA has advised me to get a survey even prior to the BID being accepted. (one that i kind shall we say to the property)

This is hardly common practice? And would it raise a red flag in your opinion or is the vendor just trying to weed out timewasters, as could have been stung at sale agreed stage before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Sounds like good advice. On this topic, I'm looking at a place currently; the vendor wants a sale 'Not Subject to Survey', and EA has advised me to get a survey even prior to the BID being accepted. (one that i kind shall we say to the property)

This is hardly common practice? And would it raise a red flag in your opinion or is the vendor just trying to weed out timewasters, as could have been stung at sale agreed stage before.

Sounds lokke they've something to hide.

Tell em your bid is subject to survey after acceptance. If thry want your money??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If someone told me not to get a survey, it would be the first thing I'd do.

• Advertisement

I Would not pay more than 500 euro for a survey, i would not pay for a survey unless i was sure that i would be able to buy the house,
    i know how much the house will cost me to buy.
    The point of a survey is to reveal any major issues and to estimate the cost of repairs that may be needed .The house might need rewiring, it might have dry rot or some other issue .
    You can make a bid subject to survey, eg offer 200k ,but i might reduce the offer a bit if there s a serious issue that needs fixing.That will be shown in the survey.
    i would bid on a house that does not permit a survey prior to bidding.

It would be foolish to bid 200k on a house, then discover it needs 30k repairs, maybe it has dry rot, rising damp ,or pyrite issues.
    And you do not have 30k in the bank to spend on repairs .
    When you can buy a house down the road in perfect condition for 200k or less .
    Why would a seller object to any buyer carrying out a survey on a house for sale.The house may be built to a low standard and does not comply with fire regulations .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

riclad wrote: »
    It would be foolish to bid 200k on a house, then discover it needs 30k repairs, maybe it has dry rot, rising damp ,or pyrite issues.
    And you do not have 30k in the bank to spend on repairs .
    When you can buy a house down the road in perfect condition for 200k or less .
    Why would a seller object to any buyer carrying out a survey on a house for sale.The house may be built to a low standard and does not comply with fire regulations .

What the seller means is the survey must be done prior to you making an offer.

Seen it before. Seller shy as bitten before with findings if survey after agreed price.

Generally there is something wrong with the house though

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭patsy mulcaghy

Think this must be the case also, will pursue a bit more to see. Thanks for your opinions.
    What the seller means is the survey must be done prior to you making an offer.

Seen it before. Seller shy as bitten before with findings if survey after agreed price.

Generally there is something wrong with the house though

Advertisement