Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Want to buy OH a bike for big birthday.

• 14-07-2016 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

My OH has a big birthday coming up. He waxes lyrically about the bike he used to have when he was a teenager and has always talked about getting one since. Here's the thing, I haven't a snowball's what I'm looking for and would appreciate any advice you could give me. Budget is about €1k - €1500

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ooo this is very subjective.

If it were me it give him the clearance to get one rather than getting it before hand.

How do you know what bike he likes. What bike suits his size what bike suits his skillset and license.

Many questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Agreed.

First of all, does he have a bike licence or maybe he was riding about on provisionals at the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Head into a bikeshop and pick up any second hand bike for 1500. Something 'neutral' like a roadster.

He'll be delighted to get it, will drive it for a while, and if he gets back into it, he'll probably then go and get something else. If he doesn't get back into it, no harm. I'd also not worry about the license, he can just go and get one if he wants to ride the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op I would suggest put in a card but be vague and bring him to a bike shop. That way he will be surprised and sure would be delighted.

I would love that as a present I'm dying to get back on a bike also been 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Give him the money and let him decide...he probably wont get a bike.....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

You could get him lessons and tell him there's money towards whatever bike he wants to get...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Simona1986 wrote: »
    You could get him lessons and tell him there's money towards whatever bike he wants to get...

That's what I was thinking too. Like if he only had provisionals before, even taking IBT would be a nice experience. If he has the licence, to take a series of refresher lessons would whet the appetite and the rest of the dough could buy a set of gear... it's funny how the money for the bike itself seems to just appear- it must be the motorcycle elves or somewhere else but the rest of us manage to find it somewhere somehow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Miose

Thanks for all the advice! Almost universally 'don't' then. I imagine he had a provisional and was riding around on that. I don't think he ever took a test. Hmm I'll have a think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Miose wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice! Almost universally 'don't' then. I imagine he had a provisional and was riding around on that. I don't think he ever took a test. Hmm I'll have a think.

No, DO, but.... don't just buy a bike and say "here" Licence and IBT Etc is about 500 all in, so give him 1000 then and say buy a bike....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,361 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Will need all new gear too. Better to just get the IBT for now (they will supply a bike and gear) and see if he wants to take it further.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Miose

Would I be better off getting one of those 'motorbike experience' things or are they a load of ****? I had a look at the IBT and while it's obviously something that needs to be done, it looks like hard work and wouldn't have the same excitement factor as an actual bike.

Would I be better off getting one of those 'motorbike experience' things or are they a load of ****? I had a look at the IBT and while it's obviously something that needs to be done, it looks like hard work and wouldn't have the same excitement factor as an actual bike.

It would definitely have the same factor because he would get back out on the road for hours with a qualified instructor, its not all about learn learn learn its about upping experience on the road and its very enjoyable. But at the same time he would be ticking off a massive box to getting fully out on the road.

For me the IBT would be a great present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

The rule for bikes have changed a lot, it can be very confusing to figure out just what someone needs to do based on their license & age etc.

I'd suggest a gift voucher for a shop that maybe does the IBT too, there are a few just depends on location etc, if after that he can buy a bike from the shop.

I understand the IBT may appear boring but he is never going to get out on his own on a road without it. Its actually not that boring, depends on the instructor but yeah, for someone with years driving experience the 1st module would bore the pants off ya.

Those motorbike experiences have a lot of insurance based conditions and he would at best only be a pillion passenger without having a full license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Figures from the UK years ago showed middle aged "back to biking" folks took a large portion of the single vehicle deaths. I can understand that, bike power has significantly improved and rider skills will deteriorate over time. I went 6 months without driving and it felt odd being back on the bike for week or two.

Get him training, let him get a feel for it again with a instructor and then he can decide if he wants to pursue it himself or if it was simply looking at the past with rose tinted glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rock22

My OH has a big birthday coming up. He waxes lyrically about the bike he used to have when he was a teenager and has always talked about getting one since. Here's the thing, I haven't a snowball's what I'm looking for and would appreciate any advice you could give me. Budget is about €1k - €1500

Is it a particular model he waxes lyrical about or just getting back to biking.
    If it is the former, and you can find the model for sale somewhere then go for it.

If it is just a desire to return to his youth then I am afraid it can't be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

If he doesn't have a full license and his learner permit (provisional license) has lapsed then he will have to do everything from scratch:

1. Applying for theory test

2. Taking the theory test

3. If he passes then he can apply for a learner permit in one of the NDLS centers.

4. Once he has received his learner permit in the post (took 10 working days in my case) he can arrange IBT.

5. IBT can be done over a weekend (class A: 18 hours). Great experience and fun!

6. Once he has completed the IBT he will get a "Certificate of Satisfactory Completion" from the instructor.

7. With learner permit and IBT cert in hand he can buy any motorbike his/your funds allow :D (however insurance premiums might get in the way for super sport bikes...)

8. The learner permit is only valid in ROI and he is not allowed to go on motorways or to carry pillion passengers.

9. After 6 months (issue date of learner permit counts) he can apply for the practical test for getting the full license.

Bear in mind above takes a bit of time:

I did the theory test on the 30th of April, applied for learner permit on the 7th of May, received it on the 20th of May, arranged IBT for weekend 25-26th of June and purchased my first bike on the 5th of July.

Of course it would be great to get a bike as a present but I wouldn't be able to just look at it for over 2 month. This would be serious torturefrown.png

However if he already has a license then "happy days" :D

So I would vote either for a voucher for IBT etc or for a bike (depending on above).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,361 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Figures from the UK years ago showed middle aged "back to biking" folks took a large portion of the single vehicle deaths. I can understand that, bike power has significantly improved and rider skills will deteriorate over time.

This is true, but the licensing regime here used to be much more lenient than the UK. More riders there would have passed the test at a very young age (under the old regs, you could pass at 18 having only ridden 125s and then get an unrestricted full licence) and then even if they'd never thrown a leg over a bike for 25 years they could legally ride a modern bike with >ten times the horsepower of anything they'd ever ridden before.

But here in Ireland in the 80s/early 90s you could get a provisional licence easily and renew it for years with little hassle, and there were no motorways, so not much incentive to actually pass the test. Nowadays having never held a full bike licence, if they want to get back on bikes they have to start from scratch.
    Get him training, let him get a feel for it again with a instructor and then he can decide if he wants to pursue it himself or if it was simply looking at the past with rose tinted glasses.

Sounds like a good plan :) even for someone with a full licence who's been away from bikes for a long time.

Scrap the cap!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Don't waste your time. He will have to start from scratch again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

My advice: Don't buy a bike even for someone who has a license.

Your bike is a very personal choice and a gift is a hard thing to express disappointment in. Literally unless he's been raving about a particular actual bike, buy a scale model or a jokey leather waistcoat, and say it means he can go shopping and you'll cover X Y or Z.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

MSVforever wrote: »
    If he doesn't have a full license and his learner permit (provisional license) has lapsed then he will have to do everything from scratch:

1. Applying for theory test

2. Taking the theory test

3. If he passes then he can apply for a learner permit in one of the NDLS centers.

4. Once he has received his learner permit in the post (took 10 working days in my case) he can arrange IBT.

5. IBT can be done over a weekend (class A: 18 hours). Great experience and fu

6. Once he has completed the IBT he will get a "Certificate of Satisfactory Completion" from the instructor.

7. With learner permit and IBT cert in hand he can buy any motorbike his/your funds allow :D (however insurance premiums might get in the way for super sport bikes...)

8. The learner permit is only valid in ROI and he is not allowed to go on motorways or to carry pillion passengers.

9. After 6 months (issue date of learner permit counts) he can apply for the practical test for getting the full license.

Bear in mind above takes a bit of time:

I did the theory test on the 30th of April, applied for learner permit on the 7th of May, received it on the 20th of May, arranged IBT for weekend 25-26th of June and purchased my first bike on the 5th of July.

Of course it would be great to get a bike as a present but I wouldn't be able to just look at it for over 2 month. This would be serious torturefrown.png

However if he already has a license then "happy days" :D

So I would vote either for a voucher for IBT etc or for a bike (depending on above).

Sorry for quoting long posts, but FFS, this has to be a money making scheme, I think I paid a tenner for my provisional and was let loose!! Haven't killed anyone yet,in about 25 years of biking. (yet :) )

• Advertisement

Sorry for quoting long posts, but FFS, this has to be a money making scheme, I think I paid a tenner for my provisional and was let loose!! Haven't killed anyone yet,in about 25 years of biking. (yet :) )

Tbf no one can argue training is a bad thing.

Let's consider Road death stats when you started to know..

I think we will have our answer about money making schemes....

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Buy him a Hayabusa.
    Great beginner bike. He won't outgrow it for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Buy him a Hayabusa.
    Great beginner bike. He won't outgrow it for a while.

And if he does, get a supercharger fitted :D

Should keep the brown trouser industry in full bloom for a while :P

Advertisement