Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science: UCD, DCU, or TCU

Options
  • 14-07-2016 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm currently in TY, I checked out the computer science open day in UCD and I was pretty impressed with the campus and course.

I plan to go to the Trinity and DCU open days next year, but I was looking for input as to what's considered the best course in terms of the quality of what is taught and how well it is applied. I was also wondering which college allows students to aquire good internships and opportunities to travel. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matthew1998

egoonan wrote: »
    TCD,DCU and UCD are actually the highest ranked computer science courses in Ireland. I know a few people who do the DCU computer applications and apparently it's quite tough. I think it's because people think its some sort of graphic design course and thus it has a high drop out rate.

Also here is the ranking of Computer Science courses in Ireland (QS rankings):

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2016/computer-science-information-systems#sorting=2626499+region=+country=171+faculty=+stars=false+search=

I recommend checking out the curriculum of each course. Good luck with your decision.... you're only in TY anyways! Which is the time to decide ;)

Edit: Also forgot to mention, If your interested in travel , Trinity is the only name that anyone knows...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Can I recommend computing in NCI >> https://www.ncirl.ie/Courses/Course-Details?course=BSc-(Honours)-in-Computing-BSHC

I'm starting third year here in September. The course is brilliant. I have learned so much throughout the course, and it really gives you a brilliant foundation of programming, of which you have to build upon yourself.

It may not have the rep of TCD, UCD or DCU. Don't let that put you off. The school of computing has a 98% employment rate, the college has links with industry, and they almost find your first job for you after graduating.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matthew1998

That's the nice thing about Computer Science. It's not like law or investment banking...You don't need to go to a fancy school to get a good jobs! If you can code, you can code. Your success is usually based on your ability, not the school you went to or who your daddy knows :D!

I believe experience is also very important! Employers look for projects you've worked on in your own time. Most employers would rather see a working piece of software you've created as apposed to a grade.

Does NCI do work placements in the third year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

That's the nice thing about Computer Science. It's not like law or investment banking...You don't need to go to a fancy school to get a good jobs! If you can code, you can code. Your success is usually based on your ability, not the school you went to or who your daddy knows :D!

I believe experience is also very important! Employers look for projects you've worked on in your own time. Most employers would rather see a working piece of software you've created as apposed to a grade.

Does NCI do work placements in the third year?

Yes they do indeed. Semester 1 is the standard 13 weeks of class, then exams in January. After that you have to do a full 6 months of work experience, or failing to secure a place, you have 3 business modules to do.

Advertisement