Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Generator

Options
  • 14-07-2016 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

What is the correct procedure for connecting a generator to an installation temporarily(esb outage for 1 day)? Should the ESB neutral be removed? Is it sufficient to use the current earth rod or should this be disconnected and drive 1 at the generator(its normally a tow behind generator)? Also are most hired generators neutralized already? bonded to frame? All advice welcome. I know ideally a changeover switch should be fitted but these are like hens teeth

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

ondarack wrote: »
    Should the ESB neutral be removed?

In my opinion you should leave this connected as this is the neutralizing point.
    Leaving it connected will mean that the resistance to earth is lower as the earth rods of other installations are left in parallel providing multiple paths to earth.
    Is it sufficient to use the current earth rod or should this be disconnected and drive 1 at the generator(its normally a tow behind generator)?

I can't see any advantage to disconnecting the existing earth rod.
    If the generator was not close to the installation or if there is any question about the integrity of the existing earth rod I would install one at the generator.
    Also are most hired generators neutralized already? bonded to frame?

I would thinks so, but you should check.
    I know ideally a changeover switch should be fitted but these are like hens teeth

They shouldn't be hard to buy. What size is the generator? Three phase or single phase?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Changeover switches:
    https://www.demesne.ie/categories.html?filter_set[]=16,83,148

You *must* have a mechanically interlocked selection system to hook up a generator, either a c/o switch or a pair of interlocked breakers / contactors.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Steve wrote: »
    Changeover switches:
    https://www.demesne.ie/categories.html?filter_set[]=16,83,148

You *must* have a mechanically interlocked selection system to hook up a generator, either a c/o switch or a pair of interlocked breakers / contactors.

Agreed.

Obviously this does not apply if the ESB supply is physically disconnected on the customer side of the installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Should the neutral be broken to prevent any back feeds tho?

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Should the neutral be broken to prevent any back feeds tho?

Not in opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I would be concerned that the OP is looking for advice on a forum and if the wiring is done incorrectly there is the potential to back feed voltages onto the electricity network. This could be hazardous to network personnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I only ask because we were strictly told to do it once?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ondarack

dingding wrote: »
    I would be concerned that the OP is looking for advice on a forum and if the wiring is done incorrectly there is the potential to back feed voltages onto the electricity network. This could be hazardous to network personnel.

I am looking for advice for this exact reason. Is it not fair for someone to ask if unsure about correct procedure. I have connected numerous generators to various installations without problem but i'm just wondering could my method be improved. If there is an isolator at the meter I turn this off, I switch off the s/f and remove fuses, terminate generator live cable/cables into customer side of s/f and terminate neutral and earth leaving ESB neutral connected. I was only querying if this neutral should be removed to prevent backfeed in case of a fault. Obviously a changeover switch is a more practical method but not everyone has one at the time of an outage but they are more inclined to fit after having an outage.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ondarack

2011 wrote: »
    They shouldn't be hard to buy. What size is the generator? Three phase or single phase?

Its not that they are hard to buy its that they are not widespread in installations. We mainly work for councils (water and wastewater) and I get told in the morning that i'm going to such a place to connect a generator as they're power is out for the day. What normally happens then is the council decide after the day that they want to install a switch. Obviously it would make more sense to do it on the day of the outage but common sense isn't that common. Another issue to be fair is the downtime can often be critical and they need a supply up and going again with the least amount of downtime.

ondarack wrote: »
    Its not that they are hard to buy its that they are not widespread in installations.

True.

• Advertisement
Advertisement