Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France: stage 13 Individual TT 37.5Km **Spoilers**

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Thud

Tony Martins
    Pull back time on who though?

It should suit everyone ahead of him as well.

it's a bit like the Dauphine prologue (albeit longer), where he came 4th, solo climbing is different from climbing with team/group, think it's one of his strengths and should gain on some of the other top 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Luke Durbridge
    terrydel wrote: »
    Hes an epic cheat tho. A confirmed one. So if he was at his best and did it at mach 2 I still personally wouldn't give a ****.

I suppose you don't give a f*ck about Eddy Merckx, Jacques Anquetil, Fausto Coppi, Stephen Roche, Sean Kelly either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Luke Durbridge
    Burial. wrote: »
    I suppose you don't give a f*ck about Eddy Merckx, Jacques Anquetil, Fausto Coppi, Stephen Roche, Sean Kelly either?

I dont, well spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I dont, well spotted.

Ha ha! Zing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Luke Durbridge
    Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Ha ha! Zing!

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

?

I liked your response!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Tony Martins
    Another great day for Froome.
    Taking a little time out of the other G.C. contenders, day by day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Dislike TT so boring. Froome must be laughing that mllema yates are 2 and 3. No disrespect but those riders won't scare him.. All about the podium now

• Registered Users Posts: 30,573 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

As a result of this stage - am I right and Froome has about the same advantage he had over Quintana at the same point in last year's Tour? Give or take 10 seconds or so.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Just watching itv highlights and it looks like the car following dan had a german flag beside his name. Did they make a balls up with him and tony?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭happytramp

odyssey06 wrote: »
    As a result of this stage - am I right and Froome has about the same advantage he had over Quintana at the same point in last year's Tour? Give or take 10 seconds or so.

Yes... but there's still another TT to go and Quintana doesn't look nearly as good as he did last year (so far).... That said this tour has been absolutely crazy so far and I suspect there's still another twist or two to come. One thing's for sure if there's another repeat of Sky's 'Pi$$gate' from yesterday the peloton should stick the boot in for sure.

Tony Martins
    happytramp wrote: »
    Yes... but there's still another TT to go and Quintana doesn't look nearly as good as he did last year (so far).... That said this tour has been absolutely crazy so far and I suspect there's still another twist or two to come. One thing's for sure if there's another repeat of Sky's 'Pi$$gate' from yesterday the peloton should stick the boot in for sure.

But, who's fit to stick the boot in?
    At this stage most of the G.C. contenders will be watching each other as much as they'll be watching Froome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Hes an epic cheat tho. A confirmed one. So if he was at his best and did it at mach 2 I still personally wouldn't give a ****.

I would rather see a confirmed cheat win over Froome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

mloc123 wrote: »

Over the last few years I think Froome deserves, and earned, a lot of respect. I was cynical after his first tour win but I believe he has become one of the modern greats.

Tony Martins

and thats partly why dopers flourished in cycling for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Eamonnator wrote: »
    and thats partly why dopers flourished in cycling for years.

The same dopers that Froome befriended and idolised.. despite knowing they were confirmed dopers?

391844.png

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

neris wrote: »
    Just watching itv highlights and it looks like the car following dan had a german flag beside his name. Did they make a balls up with him and tony?

It was Tony's nameplate on the car alright, pretty funny in fairness.

Do tell why you seem to hate Froome so much?
    (I've yet to come across someone who dislikes Froome and has a legitimate reason for it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

neris wrote: »

Does that mean Dan was actually 2min quicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Do tell why you seem to hate Froome so much? (I've yet to come across someone who dislikes Froome and has a legitimate reason for it)

I think a lot of the Froome hate comes from that his relatively late development that resembles Lance Armstrongs and all the connotations that go with that. We have to assume Froome is clean but cycling fans trust has been broken repeatedly over the years.

The other thing aside from all that is his robotic like approach to cycling/lack of panache. That type of rider has never been popular. Jacques Anquatiel(spelling?) being a good example. He's also doesn't have the media presence that say a guy like Wiggins has.

Personally I've found that he's been the only GC contender to try something different and actually take a risk. It's a change. If he wins the tour it'll be his best win due the more varied/creative race tactics he's used

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Nairo Quinatna

Why? Please explain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Really? What has Chris Froome done to deserve such disdain?

I'm kinda speculating that some of the reasons that are likely could be: a) he's a superb cyclist but Irish people like underdogs; b) he's with Team Sky and for numerous reasons this means he is hated c) he's British d)he's Kenyan e) he speaks like a genteel member of the aristocracy f) any/all the above; g) other....

I say this as it is the kind of stuff I have heard people spout in recent years. Still waiting for a reasonable rationale for people's disdain.
    I have really come to admire him on a number of fronts. And if he wins then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

PeadarCo wrote: »
    I think a lot of the Froome hate comes from that his relatively late development that resembles Lance Armstrongs and all the connotations that go with that. We have to assume Froome is clean but cycling fans trust has been broken repeatedly over the years.

The other thing aside from all that is his robotic like approach to cycling/lack of panache. That type of rider has never been popular. Jacques Anquatiel(spelling?) being a good example. He's also doesn't have the media presence that say a guy like Wiggins has.
    It's not just cycling devotees. Froome has never really warmed up the British public either. Cav and Wiggo both win Sports Personality of the Year, Froome barely makes the shortlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Tony Martins
    PeadarCo wrote: »

Personally I've found that he's been the only GC contender to try something different and actually take a risk. It's a change. If he wins the tour it'll be his best win due the more varied/creative race tactics he's used

I totally agree/understand your post, but I really really hope this Tour will dismiss the claim of Froome lacking panache. I really deeply hope that people will remember his bonkers, risky, ambitious, and wildly successful descent attack more than the moto crash which lead to a controversial commissaire's decision that went in his favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭happytramp

Sweet Jesus! What the f**k is this???

Quintana taking a tow from a moto past the frome/porte crash....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Really? What has Chris Froome done to deserve such disdain?

I say this as it is the kind of stuff I have heard people spout in recent years. Still waiting for a reasonable rationale for people's disdain.
    I have really come to admire him on a number of fronts. And if he wins then so be it.

Personally disdain is way too strong for my opinion on Froome. He comes across as a very nice guy, he's obviously a super competitor and amazing athlete & he's been a real edge of the seat racer this tour so far.

But.

There's a part of me that wouldn't like ANY rider in team sky gear, that's one thing, and then the second thing is I really hate watching him ride a bike! Style is a big part of the attraction of cycling and he just looks so... odd! Its hard to watch.

And finally I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with or fully understand how the best climber can also be the best time trialer (pretty much)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

i dont like the way he seems to be able to sprint up mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Tony Martins
    it has always been popular to hate the best guy out there, especially if he's also a good guy :) And this would be the closest I could say on the topic....

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/07/tour-de-france/an-open-letter-to-chris-froome_414899

Advertisement