Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people sometimes feel frightened by certain things

Options
  • 14-07-2016 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I was watching a "scary" thing the last day with someone and the wind started blowing the curtain and we were so freaked out. What makes something "scary" for you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Usually when something unexpected happens and it's really loud..Door slamming or something breaking, this isn't really a paranormal action/reaction though. Instincts more than anything else, fright boosts the body's ability for fight/flight responses almost instantaneously. Pretty cool biological response to sudden auditory/visual stimulus though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SocratesXXX

Yeah , I'd get a fright with something like that too, but i think something suggestive is scarier like hearing a noise outside your window at night and your imagination thinks like "omg, did i just hear footsteps?" That is scary for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Yeah i agree with ye there, sure can

usually always a logical reason for it, but when you're in that moment and thinking allsorts it's pretty scary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

As stated it's the fight or flight response, a defensive response to the possible looming interaction with a predator or unknown aggressor, it of course will be intensified by things you see in movies or read in books.

Advertisement