Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coins/Change

• 14-07-2016 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a lot of change from working, at home and I wanted to get it changed into notes. There is 3 percent charge at my credit union up the road and I have not checked my bank branch yet. Any ideas what I should do?Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

rvpalldway wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have a lot of change from working, at home and I wanted to get it changed into notes. There is 3 percent charge at my credit union up the road and I have not checked my bank branch yet. Any ideas what I should do?Thanks

Lodge it in your account?
    Spend it at a selfserve till at Tesco etc

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭rvpalldway

I have a bit too much for Tesco, about 500 euro in coins. I was wondering if I could do it in Ulster Bank without a charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I have a bit too much for Tesco, about 500 euro in coins. I was wondering if I could do it in Ulster Bank without a charge?

Sort it, bag it, and lodge it into your bank account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭palmcut

Hi all,

Ask some of your local shops if they need change. They also have to pay a charge to get change.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If you're an Ulster Bank customer then you can lodge it without charge, although if you're not a customer, they might charge you. Some branches do, some don't. If you're going in with a lot of coin it'd be worth checking if they only accept coin on certain days. I went into a BOI branch recently and they only took coins on Mondays and Thursdays in that particular one - it'd be a pain in the arse if you lugged all that coin in only to be told to come back another day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,012 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sort it, bag it and have a word to your local publican or shopkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Keep it in a big jar and take a fist of it anytime you're going to a store with a self service checkout. I always get rid of any change lying about on my shopping trips. It won't be long disappearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

to be fair 3% isn't all that bad, considering the ones in shops charge 9.9% or sometimes 12.5%.

not saying you should change all your coins there, but the coppers it might be worth it for the time saved not having to sort them.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

I have a lot of change from working, at home and I wanted to get it changed into notes. There is 3 percent charge at my credit union up the road and I have not checked my bank branch yet. Any ideas what I should do?

Spend it over time. Why pay to change coins to notes? That's a rip-off. If it can be spent in shops, spend it. It's all money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

If there are young children in your house just mention this once and it will disappear by sunset :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

to be fair 3% isn't all that bad, considering the ones in shops charge 9.9% or sometimes 12.5%.

not saying you should change all your coins there, but the coppers it might be worth it for the time saved not having to sort them.

I assumed you'd still have to have it sorted into bags. I've a big protein tub almost full to the brim with coins. Do you mean I can just go in, dump it on the counter and they'll sort, count and lodge it all for 3%?!!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

No, some CUs have those coin sorter machines there - like the ones they have in Tesco - but they only charge you 3% (you have to be an account holder) so you can dump the tub in there. If your CU doesn't have one, you'll have to bag it up before hand.

Toots wrote: »
    No, some CUs have those coin sorter machines there - like the ones they have in Tesco - but they only charge you 3% (you have to be an account holder) so you can dump the tub in there. If your CU doesn't have one, you'll have to bag it up before hand.

Whoops :o Mine definitely doesn't, that's why I was wondering. Makes sense now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

My local PO allows me to lodge bagged coin to my AIB bank account at no charge. However, they dont take copper. The post office is handy because it opens on Saturday mornings, unlike AIB which only opens during hours where unemployed people could make it in.

So I bag up most of it and then use a machine in Tesco for the copper. I dont mind paying 10% on 30 or 40 euro but I refuse to pay it on 600 or 700 euro.

My local PO allows me to lodge bagged coin to my AIB bank account at no charge. However, they dont take copper. The post office is handy because it opens on Saturday mornings, unlike AIB which only opens during hours where unemployed people could make it in.

So I bag up most of it and then use a machine in Tesco for the copper. I dont mind paying 10% on 30 or 40 euro but I refuse to pay it on 600 or 700 euro.

:D I don't think that's strictly true. Employed people get lunch breaks and half days and stuff. Not to mention they might work weekends or nights. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

:D I don't think that's strictly true. Employed people get lunch breaks and half days and stuff. Not to mention they might work weekends or nights. :pac:

Actually I phoned AIB about bringing in change and they told me not to come in at lunchtime cos its busy!

True, shift workers can use banks but for the vast majority of people who work the hours they open are just rubbish. A late night is considered 5pm. A normal work day for me is 9-5.30pm. I have to use annual leave to go to the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Keep it in a big jar and take a fist of it anytime you're going to a store with a self service checkout. I always get rid of any change lying about on my shopping trips. It won't be long disappearing.

Me too.

Did about €350 over a month at Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

My local PO allows me to lodge bagged coin to my AIB bank account at no charge. However, they dont take copper.

You could always say that's alright, these are made of steel... magnets don't stick to copper.

:eek:

Advertisement