Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick population

• 14-07-2016 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

As we all know the preliminary results are out for the census, anyone see or hear of limerick being mentioned? Or anyone have any estimates on what they think it may be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

I'd say that 57,000 is within the city limits and doesnt take the suburbs into account.

Remember the census that was on the same day or day before an away Munster match? Population at the time was something like 53,000 and people were worried if 4,000 travelled from the city that we'd drop below the population needed to be classed as a city? Lose EU funding etc. I think someone even requested the Munster match be postponed. Came to nothing though and we remained a city :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I'd say that 57,000 is within the city limits and doesnt take the suburbs into account.

Was surprised at how low it was but I'd say it definitely doesn't include the likes of Annacottey, Castletroy and the likes of Westbury and Shannon Banks would be counted as Clare.

Surprised that Galway City was so much bigger than Limerick City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Was surprised at how low it was but I'd say it definitely doesn't include the likes of Annacottey, Castletroy and the likes of Westbury and Shannon Banks would be counted as Clare.

Surprised that Galway City was so much bigger than Limerick City.

It basically just contains the Limerick City DED and the old electoral wards. The city proper including Castletroy, Raheen and Dooradoyle is around 98,000 and a further 10 k when the boundaries of the new Metropolitan District are included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

Why does it not include the new boundary? The city boundary was changed in April 2013 to include a much bigger area, doesn't make sense to go back to the old area that was incorporated in the 1950s?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Migration from Limerick seems to be one of the highest. Its probably mostly down to the jobs or therefore lack of jobs in the area. Dublin has well over 80% of the job market from what I can see!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

They didn't used the new boundaries that were set after the Local Government Reform Act 2014. They also published seperate figures for North and South Tipp and for Waterford City and County, which were also amalgamated under that act. Why they're still using the old boundaries 2 years after the changes is beyond me.

Also looking at the results from that Joe figure it showed limerick city grew by 3 thousand and county by 1 thousand so I don't know why it shows a minus for the county. Either way it looks like people from the county and surrounding areas moving to the city but again without the proper boundary taken into account it's too hard to tell

Mc Love wrote: »
    Migration from Limerick seems to be one of the highest. Its probably mostly down to the jobs or therefore lack of jobs in the area. Dublin has well over 80% of the job market from what I can see!

According to the stats, it seems to be a rural issue. Net migration from the city is only 289, but in the county it's 3375. Saying that the population of the City and County as a whole is up by 3366.

http://www.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Statire/SelectVarVal/Define.asp?maintable=EP005&PLanguage=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Are you sure the boundaries have been changed? Afaik, the city boundary still stops before the Crescent, between the Parkway and UL, etc. I thought the last boundary extension was in March 2008 when parts of Coonagh became part of the city.

• Advertisement

Are you sure the boundaries have been changed? Afaik, the city boundary still stops before the Crescent, between the Parkway and UL, etc. I thought the last boundary extension was in March 2008 when parts of Coonagh became part of the city.

Once the city and county amalgamated the old city boundary ceased to exist. The city is now seen as the three city wards which include Castletroy, Dooradoyle, Raheen and other suburbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The city is now the area defined by the 'Limerick Metropolitan Area' boundary, which has a population of about 100,000. That said, the council website still lists the population of the old city, which is ridiculous, but not surprising given how inept we know Limerick City Council is.

I'd have expected better from the CSO though. Then again, I live in the city centre and wasn't given a form. When I enquired to the CSO helpdesk, they sent the enumerator to my door. She was full of apologies and said she assumed there was nobody living in the building or anywhere else on the street. I began to tell her that there's actually quite a few people living on the street, but she didn't want to know. I would be quite dubious as to the accuracy of the stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

zulutango wrote: »
    The city is now the area defined by the 'Limerick Metropolitan Area' boundary, which has a population of about 100,000. That said, the council website still lists the population of the old city, which is ridiculous, but not surprising given how inept we know Limerick City Council is.

I'd have expected better from the CSO though. Then again, I live in the city centre and wasn't given a form. When I enquired to the CSO helpdesk, they sent the enumerator to my door. She was full of apologies and said she assumed there was nobody living in the building or anywhere else on the street. I began to tell her that there's actually quite a few people living on the street, but she didn't want to know. I would be quite dubious as to the accuracy of the stats.

You should complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

zulutango wrote: »
    She was full of apologies and said she assumed there was nobody living in the building or anywhere else on the street. I began to tell her that there's actually quite a few people living on the street, but she didn't want to know. I would be quite dubious as to the accuracy of the stats.
    Wow, do you live in the Fight Club house?
    fight-club.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I'm in a Georgian building. Many of the upper floors are apartments and the lower floors are offices in these kinds of buildings. It's not immediately obviously if you call to the main door that there might be quite a few people living in the building.

And, as well as the above, a friend worked as a census enumerator in 2011 and said there were huge inaccuracies and short cuts taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Here is the official result taken from the CSO.ie website. So, the official city increased to 58319 persons in 2016. The population of the combined city and county is about 195000 people.

County 2011 2016

Limerick City 57,106 58,319
    Limerick County 134,703 136,856

While the city boundary no longer exists for government or public/service administration purposes, it still exists from a purely historical purpose and the Census is counting everyone who resides within that city boundary to make up the 58319. This figure still does not include Castletroy, Raheen or any other areas of continuously built up urban areas (that includes part of Clare, Corbally etc) that are outside that historical city boundary. That figure which is known as the city and suburbs/environs figure will not be made available until the Final Census results are made available next March. Census 2011 had that figure at about 95000 so I expect that to increase by a few thousand also.

PS, that is worrying what the earlier poster said about how blase the enumerator was about getting accurate results from addresses. I wonder how under reported the population really is. I'm aware that some immigrants in particular do not declare themselves for fear of deportation etc even though that would be completely outside the CSO's remit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Remember there's also people who just won't give their details. They just refuse, don't answer the door for a whole host of reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Berty wrote: »
    Remember there's also people who just won't give their details. They just refuse, don't answer the door for a whole host of reasons.

When the CSO discussed the results yesterday, they said those that refused to cooperate would be "prosecuted". I wonder how much effort the Gardai would really focus on that.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

To see two testicles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

Shannon757 wrote: »
    To see two testicles?

Someone has a Census humor.......

I'll get my coat

Why not simply use the boundary for the limerick city electorate? That's a whopper of a size that would accurately reflect the greater population

Advertisement