Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rio 2016

Options
  • 14-07-2016 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭

Well there's no thread I can see is it too early to build excitement, who's favourite who will challenge? Will it be all Brownlees or will the Spanish team challenge without Gomez (http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2016/07/14/javier-gomez-2016-rio-olympics) Mola should put in a good effort.

Looking forward to seeing how Our own Orish triathletes do.

In the female race will Gwen do it or can Duffy or Non take it? That's my top 3 with true and Spirig maybe rounding out the 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

If Jenkins is fully fit going to Rio she'll be one to watch. A class athlete and strong across all 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

For me nothing is ever secure, but as I said in some other thread, it's Brownlees to lose IMO. Somebody already mentioned the possible outcome - great swim by brothers behind Varga, push bike to get away from Mola and then taking 1-2 while Mola will run through the field for the 3rd....

As for women, while I really like Duffy I would be surprised if she even got to the podium in the race where everybody are doing their 100%. The only good outcome for here is she gets 2 great athlete to push on bike and do as much extra time as possible, but with late push in the regular season the question is how will she even compare to others. Jorgensen on the other hand has played it decently safe during the season, timing her appearances and she would be my huge favorite who won't make it only if something big happens on bike and she ends up cycling with really slow bunch....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Men
    The Brownlees are always top few out of the water and boss the bike so unless something unusual happens its Alastair Gold and Johnny Silver. You would love it to be the other way around but Alastair has I think the capacity to suffer like no one else.

I can't see Mola making the lead bike pack and if he does (and thats a long shot) the Brownless are going to attack without mercy. If he manages to stay in a lead pack to T2 I think he could bag silver. From the 2nd bike pack he may run himself into a bronze but I think that is also unlikely if you have Vincent Luis and Richard Murray in the mix. Can't discount Pierre La Corre or Alarza getting it just right too. I'll take a punt and say no Spanish medal. Vincent Luis Bronze

Women
    My heart wants Duffy to take gold. My head knows that bar catastrophe GJ is going to leave them all behind. Her swim is already good enough but she will copper fasten that to make sure she is pulled along by the Duffy/Spirig train. Gwen Jorgenson Gold by a distance even if she has to catch a breakaway.

Next I was very impressed with Duffy in Leeds. How she build a lead and backed off just enough on the bike to give her run legs a chance. Very well executed race. I fancy her to breakaway on the bike again. Ideally she will pull Jenkins with her. The problem here is that Spirig won't get out of the water fast enough and she will find Non Stanford and Vicky Holland. Hewitt will jump on that train too and a breakaway would do well to put 30 secs into them by T2. Jenkins will have to go with Duffy for the Silver and although the Brits have the class, I think Hewitt has the form. She is my outside bet for a Bronze.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I'd probably agree with the Brownlees winning but it's not all clear cut either I think. Big thing will depend how many make the lead pack, 2x brownlees, Schoeman, varge, luis, probably the Russian brothers, Royle and a few more. If this pack is too big it could make it a little harder to get away. Put Murray, Blumenfeldt and a few other big bikers in the chase pack and it might not be all the brownlees on the bike. I still reckon they will win but like Shotgun I'm not 100% sure on Mola. The heat could play a factor too, both Brownlees don't do too well in the heat. As much as I think it will be the brownlees it's shaping up to be a good race.

Definitely think Hewitt will get a medal. She doesn't seem to have a bad race. Like to see her and Duffy on the podium but I think it will probably only be one, probably alongside Gwen and either Helen Jenkins or Non.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

Good front of pack swim from Mola on Saturday!! I assume Rio will be a non wetsuit swim? Missed the womens race. Shock result there!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

great interview with Flora Duffy on the Fitter Radio podcast this week. pretty honest about that first climb out of t1 on the bike. it's going to be one of those races where everyone knows something is going to happen there and it's a case of seeing how it pans out

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

A brownlee
    J brownlee
    V Luis

Hoping B Keane has a great race!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MalDoc

Value bet on Mola and Spirig for me.

A. Brownlee now at 8/11.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

A Brownlee
    J Brownlee
    M Mola

Looking forward to this - even a boring full pack procession on the bike if the Brownlees dont get the break they will want, will set up a showdown on the run

I think a top form Alistair could put it up to Mola on the run

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Seen a few pictures of the hill on twitter, looks nasty enough and set up for a small break away. Hopefully there is actually a bit of a race, but I think that might be for 3rd position rather than the top 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

anywhere to stream this at work?

Will RTE 2 have this race on?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Is there a tracker or anything?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

catweazle wrote: »
    A Brownlee
    J Brownlee
    M Mola

This is my prediction for the podium. Have a feeling that Murray could sneak in there either..

It will be streamed on RTE news now folks

BBC One has, at least for now, the talk ahead of the race...

RTE2 streaming has the pre-race chat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Nice looking swim! Bit of a swell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Nice looking swim! Bit of a swell.

swim wasn't cancelled then? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

Its interesting how much time the lead swimmer has to swim with his head up sighting, especially because of the swell. The lad sitting in behind him has the right idea :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Brownlee's positioned well after swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Someone should really give the commentator some actual facts about triathlon!! Was he just saying they arent allowed to draft lol!

Do we need to put spolier tags on this?
    Looks like the Brownlee group of 8 are away. They aren't going to let the chase group get back on IMO. 2 Brownlees and Royal for the podium? Maybe Kanoute?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

Massive crowds on the bike, probably because it's free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

I'd imagine Varga can/could swim faster. Needs to exit with a group for the bike though.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

who's the main commentator on RTE? doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Tis all over..brownLee 1 2. Chase group 104 down and going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

topcat77 wrote: »
    who's the main commentator on RTE? doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

Agreed, the drafting comment was the tell take sign he hasn't a clue.

Keane well down, nearly 3 mins behind.

The Brownlees are racing between themselves for Gold/Silver

There's 8 more of them racing for a bronze medal. The rest of 'em might as well go home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Puncture/crash! anything can happen.

Advertisement