Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 European Under-19 Championship

• 14-07-2016 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone else following this tournament which is being covered by Eurosport?

There's been some great action, especially tonight's game where Portugal defeated hosts Germany 4-3.

That was Germany's second loss of the tournament (Italy beat them a few days ago) and they are now in danger of not only getting knocked out at the group stage, but also missing out on the FIFA U-20 World Cup next year. If they fail to beat Austria in their final group game on Sunday that is what will happen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then Germany to flop in the WC and Euros in 6 to 8 years time...

Just a bump for this - England 2 games played 6 points and the semi finals beckon.
    Germany 2 games played nil points won and going home, despite having the tournaments top scorer!

Italy play Portugal this evening to decide who tops group A and probably which of them meets England

http://int.soccerway.com/international/europe/uefa-u19-championship/20152016/group-stage/r30002/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Weakened Dutch team there since Feyenoord and Ajax didnt allow their players to go.
    Didnt have to either due to the stupendous timing of this tournament by UEFA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Germany beat Austria 3-0 so they still have a chance to reach the U-20 World Cup next year. They will have to beat either France or the Netherlands in a play-off. Portugal topped their group meaning England will play Italy in the semi-final.

The first half was a snoozefest but the second half was better. The Germans have several good young players. I've been impressed with the forward players Ochs and Teuchert. Also like the midfielders Conde and Henrichs and the left-back Horn. Haven't seen any of them before now but will keep an eye out for them in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

inforfun wrote: »
    Weakened Dutch team there since Feyenoord and Ajax didnt allow their players to go.

:confused: Seems to be lots of Ajax and Feyenoord players playing, and lots more on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Verdonk en Schuurman are on loan from Feyenoord to Zwolle and Willem II respectively so Feyenoord had no say in those 2.
    Donny van Beek would have been there for sure but wasnt released by Ajax.

I probably should have said Ajax and Feyenoord kept a few players away from that tournament (who might have been replaced by players from the same clubs) because those players have joined the A-squad of their clubs in pre season training.

England beat Croatia 2-1 today. They had already topped the group, but it means they kept their 100 per cent record. They looked very impressive in the first half. I liked the Spurs right-back Kyle Walker-Peters, who weirdly does remind me a bit of his namesake and fellow Spurs right-back Kyle Walker. I also liked Isaiah Brown, the Chelsea forward. I think Sheyi Ojo was probably the most impressive of the lot. Looks like Liverpool have a very good talent there.

Croatia were the better team in the second half. I thought the coach was crazy taking off their midfielder Brekalo as he looked to be the most dangerous but they did perform well later. Their goalscorer and captain Moro looked good too. Never seen a coach look so dejected with his team going 2-0 down. Every time the camera was on him his head was in his hands.

I only saw the highlights of France's 5-1 win over the Dutch. Jean-Kevin Augustin got a hat-trick for them and I remember being impressed with him against England. I wonder will he get more game time at PSG. Looks an exciting player.

Both semi-finals are on Thursday, plus Germany vs the Netherlands in a play-off to see which one gets to the U-20 World Cup next year. I think I would fancy Italy to beat England as they looked quite dodgy at set-pieces today. France I suspect will beat Portugal unlike the senior team. I'll predict Italy vs France, with Germany winning the play-off.

So Italy beat England 2-1 and will play either Portugal or France in the final.

Federico Di Marco got both Italy's goals and his second was a peach of a free-kick. He's an Inter left-back and the commentator said he's going on loan to Empoli next season. Looks a very good prospect. He's got four goals in the tournament now if I'm not mistaken (3 penos). He went off with an injury before the end but he was celebrating at the final whistle so hopefully he's fit for the final. I was also impressed with both Italy's centre-backs: Filippo Romagna of Juventus and Mauro Coppolaro of Udinese. They dealt with everything England threw at them. I didn't know anything about these guys before the tournament but they seem to have a lot of potential.

As for England, they were disappointing. I was impressed with Izzy Brown in the group games but he was really poor today with his shooting and decision making. I was surprised he wasn't substituted. Onomah was probably England's best player. Plays for Spurs apparently. I didn't know anything about him either before this tournament though I'm sure the Spurs fans will be aware of him. He was the only England player that seemed like he could make something happen.

Portugal vs France is on Eurosport 2 later with kick-off at 4pm. Should be a good game. Looking forward to seeing if Jean-Kevin Augustin bags any more goals. Then Germany vs Netherlands in a play-off is on Eurosport 1, kick-off at 6pm, to see which one reaches the U-20 World Cup next year. Some fun matches worth checking out if you're bored.

Not starting Ojo was a major error, he usually makes something happen.

I think I would fancy Italy to beat England as they looked quite dodgy at set-pieces today. France I suspect will beat Portugal unlike the senior team. I'll predict Italy vs France, with Germany winning the play-off.

I should have put a bet on.

Really pleased that Germany beat the Netherlands on penos to make it to the U-20 World Cup. That game was truly bonkers. I was shocked how poor the Dutch were; their passing was awful. I can only guess they were still shell-shocked from their drubbing by France. Germany were all over them going into the final ten minutes of normal time yet it was only 1-0. Then the ref gives them a free-kick which imo should never have been awarded and they equalise from that. And then the Dutch get a fantastic headed goal from Van der Heijden with just minutes remaining and I really thought I was going to see highway robbery. Germany had 16 efforts to Netherland's 2. :pac: But then Germany equalise in the 93rd minute to take it to extra-time.

Sounds like it was just as exciting in Extra-Time with Germany going 3-2 up and then the Dutch levelling to take it to penos - unfortunately I DVR'd the game and so I missed all of the extra-time and penalties action.

Anyway, I continue to be impressed with Philipp Ochs of Germany. The guy not only has quality but he works his socks off and tracks back frequently. I could see him doing well in England one day if a move were to arise. Also still liking Amara Conde and Benjamin Heinrichs. Their keeper seems poor though.

I managed to catch Portugal vs France too. All eyes were on Agustin but it was the other attacking threat Mbappe that was the best French player today. He's at Monaco and looks exciting. I was also pleasantly surprised to see the son of Lillian Thuram, Marcus, get a run out. Good job the guy is a striker and not a defender as it would be tough being compared to his dad who was amazing. I quite liked France's centre-back Issa Diop who is a big unit.

I think France deserved the win but Portugal have some good talents emerging. I really liked the right-back Dalot who is at Porto and the Benfica players Joao Carvalho and Buta, although Buta was better in previous games I saw. Looks like Portugal have bright days ahead.

Italy vs France in the final is this Sunday at 7:30 pm. I really struggle to call that one as I think it can go either way. France will probably be favourites but I think a single goal could settle it. If Federico Di Marco is fit for Italy I think I would lean towards them as he's going to be a threat from free-kicks.

• Advertisement

France have hammered Italy in the final 4-0. Goals from Augustin, Blas, Tousart and Diop. This is the biggest win in a final at this level in 52 years and is some statement by France.

In truth it was all over for Italy inside 20 minutes when they went 2-0 down. I thought Italy would have a chance if they could do what they did against Germany - grind it out, frustrate, and nick a goal from a set-piece. But once they lost those early goals it was pretty much curtains; and Italy played like a team that knew that. France deserved to win by this margin.

Kylian Mbappe was excellent again and looks a great talent. Jean-Kevin Augustin likewise. I was also impressed with the midfielder Arine Harit. The Eurosport commentator said he turned down moves to Man United and Arsenal to stay at Nantes and develop as a player; I think that's to be admired. I also like their defender Issa Diop who is very powerful physically.

Italy's best prospect looks to be their left-back Federico Di Marco. He had some decent crosses in the first half today, but the Italians overall were outclassed today.

It will be interesting to see if France can do the double next year and win the U-20 World Cup as well.

Advertisement