Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House purchase - electrical inspection.

Options
  • 14-07-2016 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi,

We are currently sale agreed on a house in Cork and have got our survey report back. We were told by the vendor that the house was rewired 10 years ago and "fully certified" - but now they can't provide us with the certs. Regarding the electrics the surveyor highlighted that there is the main modern trip switch fuse board, as well as a second fuse board with screw-in type fuse board. The surveyor is recommending inspection of the screw-in type fuse board by a certified electrician, as well as inspecting some exposed wiring within the cupboard containing the boards.

My question is has anyone got this done and roughly how much did it cost? Does it sound necessary based on the above (we are already paying for a structural engineer etc., but I understand that the overall cost is small in the context of how much we are paying for the house).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Monaou2 wrote:
    My question is has anyone got this done and roughly how much did it cost? Does it sound necessary based on the above (we are already paying for a structural engineer etc., but I understand that the overall cost is small in the context of how much we are paying for the house).

You are just looking for a report. It shouldn't cost much of you get it from an electrician. They take photographs etc.

Trip switches are no longer "modern" they are the norm for almost 30 years now
    And fully rewired with a screw in fuse type board don't sit together.
    I'd get a contractor to carryout an inspection with the aim of producing a report cw photographs, get a quote to rectify while you are at it.
    I don't think it would cost much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

A periodic inspection report is what you're looking for here
    It's a 4 page document detailing the electrical installation conditions
    Contact your local rec for a quote.

Advertisement