Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Bournmouth the new Portsmouth

• 14-07-2016 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭

Seaside town on the south of England: Check
    Infallible manager that the media adore: Check
    Very small stadium with no hope for expansion: Check
    Russian owner that nobody seems to know anything about: Check
    Spending money like 50 Cent: Check

Some Examples of those signings over the last year:
    Lewis Grabban 8m
    Benik Afobe 10m (Did very well for them to be fair)
    Tyrone Mings 8m
    Max Gradel 7m
    Jordan Ibe 15m
    Lewis Cook 6m
    Lys Mousset 7.3m

I can see the logic with the signings. They are all very young (Bar Gradel) and if they come good within the next 2-3 seasons they will be a top half team. On the other hand, if most are flops, they will go down and they are stuck with a lot of guys that went from on the brink of being a top footballer to chumpsville. And as we have seen before, the drop for once "next big thing" players can be very seismic.

New Portsmouth? or the new Southampton?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Silly to compare them to anybody yet. Those fees are not that big with the new tv contract. They spent money last year to make sure they stayed up and got a chunk of this big money. Now they want to keep getting this big money so they are spending more.

I don't think those sums are very big at all in the current market.

Also they all don't have to come good. If two or three of them become really good players they can sell if they wish and get all their money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Lewis Grabban was a shocking signing who never made any sense. All others look OK - you would hope that wages are nowhere near Portsmouth level and they have relegation clauses. With new TV money and some sense they should be OK, even if relegated. They are a small club after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I think they'll go down this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

In fairness they also just sold Ritchie for £12m - these days £10m seems to be the baseline for any kind of player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

No - just another of your sensational posts -

Bouremouth have American owners too , they are so thrifty they haven't even expanded ther stadium , even with all the new TV money .
    2 years in the premiership is a bonus for a club the size of Bouremouth - in comparison to what is happening in the transfer market they are pretty thrifty themselves - and Eddie Howe is not Harry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bournemouth are much more likely to be the next Southampton in this day and age, they have plans that will fill in the corners and develop the South Stand that'll bring the capacity up to about 18,000 from the current 12k.

You cited the South coast connection, and yet you overlooked:-

Both end with "mouth"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Port is a fortified wine.

Bourne is a CIA assassin with memory issues.

One gets you pissed while the other is extremely pissed - I fail to see the similarities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think the owner comparison is the key here.

Owner pulls plug, for whatever reason, team returns to where they have been for a century or more, bottom two divisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Second letter of each clubs name is "O".

This keeps getting weirder are weirder.

Are people actually sure they're not the same club?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I dunno about you but I've never seen them in the same room...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

We're through the looking glass here people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I dunno about you but I've never seen them in the same room...

Genuinely lolled here at that.

On top of everything else id imagine the likes of Harry Arter who was got for something in the region of 4k will have a considerable sell on value.

The football landscape in 2016 is different to the one Portsmouth operated in with the TV money per club considerably more than it was. a 40m player today is probably a 10-12m player from 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

As long as they keep hold of Howe there is no problem. Class manager

Bradz213 wrote: »
    As long as they keep hold of Howe there is no problem. Class manager

We'll see.

A few managers have done the miracle stuff. George Burley, Paul Jewell, Paul Brown, Danny Wilson etc. etc. were all heralded as bright young things at one stage or another.

We'll see.

A few managers have done the miracle stuff. George Burley, Paul Jewell, Paul Brown, Danny Wilson etc. etc. were all heralded as bright young things at one stage or another.

Like a game of cards really you are as good as the hand you have although some managers suit certain clubs more than others.

Like a game of cards really you are as good as the hand you have although some managers suit certain clubs more than others.

Oh I agree.

I think to be up with the class managers though, they either have to do it with at least 2 different clubs, or over a sustained period of a few years. You get these unusual bursts of a couple of seasons in a lot of managers careers when everything just clicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

TV money makes big spending safer than before for promoted clubs.

Advertisement