Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gun licence help please

• 14-07-2016 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hello

I'm wondering if someone can please tell me if there is anything else I need to do in order to qualify for a gun licence for a .22 rifle.

I will be doing a gun safety course this coming week.
    I have a safe bought and it is bolted to a secure structure.
    My house has an alarm system for extra security.
    I have written permission from one farmer who owns 100+ acres of land to shoot on.
    I live in the country side and my house is on 1 acre of land.

Is there any other steps I need to take to be qualified to own a rifle at this stage?
    I would rather not join a club at the moment due to the expense but I plan to at a later stage.

Regards

J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

Normally Gardai look for 2-3 permissions. Not saying what you have isn't good enough. Only your Super will decide that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 HQ2011

I was wondering if the one I have will be enough alright, I might try to get a second permission to be on the safe side. Do you know is it unheard of for anyone to get a licence with just one permission?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

HQ2011 wrote: »
    I was wondering if the one I have will be enough alright, I might try to get a second permission to be on the safe side. Do you know is it unheard of for anyone to get a licence with just one permission?

I know of lads who got licence on one permission alright. As I said it all depends on the Supers attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭RossiFan08

I have gotten a 22 lr license with 1 permission of a similar size. Also got my 308 license on one farm with just over 100 arces. Two different supers, both in Roscommon.

If you are unsure give the FO and ring and ask

Thanks for the reply's guys I do appreciate it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There is no legal requirement to have two permissions. However the Super may deem the single permission unsuitable or not large enough to accommodate the shooting you want to do.

That being said 100+ acres, to me, is more than sufficient. If you can get more do, but if not you can apply as is.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

That is good to know Cass, Thanks for your input! :)

J

One other question guys, Is it a certainty that the Garda will want to come to the property where the gun is being stored to inspect the safe etc?
    Is it up to me to ask the Garda to come visit or will the contact me during the process after I apply?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

No, its not a certainty. Sometimes they check, other times they don't.

When you fill in the FCA1 and sign it you are declaring that you meet the minimum standard of security. It's up to gun owners to know what these are and meet them. If the Super wants your security inspected he'll as the CPO (Crime Prevention Officer) to drop out, check and submit a report on it. Once the Super gets this they'll sign off on the application.

If the Super wants this you'll be notified beforehand and the CPO will ring to make sure you're there.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Cass wrote: »
    There is no legal requirement to have two permissions. However the Super may deem the single permission unsuitable or not large enough to accommodate the shooting you want to do.

That being said 100+ acres, to me, is more than sufficient. If you can get more do, but if not you can apply as is.

I suspect that looking for multiple permissions no matter the size of any particular individual one is part of the vetting process.
    Having 2 or 3 (or more) landowners willing to give you permission to shoot over their lands goes a good way to demonstrate that you're a law-abiding respectable person in good standing in the locality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement