Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nice - Bastille day **mod warning post 1**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Lackey wrote: »
    Sand wrote: »
    I think its the French invasion of Iraq in 2003. That is what sparked off ISIS and Islamic terrorism. So I hear.

The people on the street murdered tonight didn't invade anywhere

I'm assuming the poster was being ironic. France didn't invade Iraq. They opposed it...strongly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Civilians in any conflict / war /terrorist attack did nothing to deserve their fate

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

One would despair at how these events are increasing in Europe. France is constantly under attack at this stage. It has become too regular.

...and again it is innocent people and their families who are made suffer by this needless violence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Hopefully these lads don't find a supply of anthrax.

The unaccounted nuclear material that seems to have dissapeared into the ether since the break up of the Soviet Union is the bigger worry.

Eyewitness now being quoted as saying there was one shooter also. Not clear if that was the driver.. Also saying that 1 man is on the run..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

It has nothing to do with France, rather to do with Islamic Demographics and once their population goes above 10% and higher terrorism and trouble are regular occurrences.

Absolute nonsense. Has more to do with French foreign policy in the middle east than anything else. Not that its any excuse for what these terrorists are doing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

He's obviously being facetious. France didn't invade Iraq, but they've done similar before and since.

Not saying that's a justification or even a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

It has nothing to do with France, rather to do with Islamic Demographics and once their population goes above 10% and higher terrorism and trouble are regular occurrences. France has the largest population of Muslims in Europe. France has lax security plus a huge demograph of self-hating liberal SJW who brand any objection to immigration or terrorism to be Racist. This is a problem of Frances own making; the chickens have come home to roost for the French with their ultra-left wing social policies.

Sure France is hostile to yoga and meditation groups. Calling them all cults

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

It just goes on and on. We may as well just repost the thread after the Bataclan and Charlie Hebdo and Orlando.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

I was right there 2 years ago celebrating Bastille Day......this is right after France announced they'd lift their state of emergency.

What has the world come to? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

RobertKK wrote: »
    One would despair at how these events are increasing in Europe. France is constantly under attack at this stage. It has become too regular.

...and again it is innocent people and their families who are made suffer by this needless violence.

The way these terrorists see it is that their innocent family and friends were killed by an illegal invasion under false pretenses.. not to mention the historical interfering by the west in the region for decades... not that it justifies it but you have to attempt to look at it from the other side...

Problem now will be the gradual rise in support for the likes of the French National Front...

President of France, the prime minster and interior minister are meeting to have an emergency meeting.

There seems to be more than 1 person involved and the people were fired at.

Such a very grave situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

why has France become a target for Islamic extremists??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Neither did the innocent civilians butchered in Afghanistan or Iraq. Innocent people as always getting caught up in there governments wrongdoings.

Strumms wrote: »
    The way these terrorists see it is that their innocent family and friends were killed by an illegal invasion under false pretenses.. not to mention the historical interfering by the west in the region for decades... not that it justifies it but you have to attempt to look at it from the other side...

Problem now will be the gradual rise in support for the likes of the French National Front...

I know what you are saying, you are not justifying it but the logic is so fecked up by these terrorists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Actually they're very specific about who they kill, and why. This whole narrative that they're simply maniacs with no ideology is harmful.

True terrorism is about ensuring there is no targeting, no rules. Everyone is a target. The idea that you are safe so long as you do not step on the cracks in the sidewalk is just as childish. Islamic terrorists will target and murder *anyone*, including other muslims. This is something Irish people can appreciate - there is an old phrase which states that no one can suffer enough for the cause of Irish republicanism, least of all the innocent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

philstar wrote: »

Huge supplier of weapons to their allies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Jijsaw wrote: »
    I was right there 2 years ago celebrating Bastille Day......this is right after France announced they'd lift their state of emergency.

What has the world come to? :(

maybe wasn't a wise decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Actually they're very specific about who they kill, and why. This whole narrative that they're simply maniacs with no ideology is harmful.

Hang on a minute, no they're not specific about who they kill, and as for why, they kill people, any people who do t agree with them including other Muslims. How it is dangerous to say these things I don't know, they aren't some misunderstood altruistic organization, they are terrorists, possibly the most nihilistic terrorists in the modern age.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Such a simple thing to do.... But devastating consequences :(
    I hope it's a single 'lone wolf' attack and not part of something else.
    When I first heard it, I wondered if there was a bomb on the truck that failed to detonate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

It has a large muslim population from north africa, it's a breeding ground for angry young men radicalised by extremists.

• Advertisement

Largely due to one or more of it's Imperialist past, it's large (and relatively poor) Muslim population, it's actions in Libya, Syria and the Levant in general throughout the 20th Century, it being a prominent Western nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Ideologically, because it stands tall for all that they hate and which threatens them.

Pragmatically, because it's a big place with a lot of borders and large community in which to hide. Much more so than Belgium.

Carnage over 1 mile of beach front according to one eye witness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Sand wrote: »
    True terrorism is about ensuring there is no targeting, no rules. Everyone is a target. The idea that you are safe so long as you do not step on the cracks in the sidewalk is just as childish. Islamic terrorists will target and murder *anyone*, including other muslims. This is something Irish people can appreciate - there is an old phrase which states that no one can suffer enough for the cause of Irish republicanism, least of all the innocent.

That's simply not the case. I'll give three examples - Kenyan mall massacre, recent Bangladesh restaurant massacre, and Nairobi hotel attack - where the jihadists literally separated the Muslims and non-Muslims and asked them to recite the Qu'ran or answer Islamic trivia. Those who failed in all three of those events were tortured and killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

It has a large muslim population from north africa, it's a breeding ground for angry young men radicalised by extremists.

There has been massive tension amongst them and the French population, in particular the 2005 riots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_French_riots#Triggering_event

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

People inferring western foreign policy, colonialism in North Africa, Iraq war :confused: .....

This was probably committed by "Frenchmen"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭El Chapo

Was in France for the Euros recently, a very welcoming and humorous people.

God bless them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

60 dead perhaps now. Seriously god awful stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irish coldplayer

Sky news now reporting 60 dead!
    horrific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Strumms wrote: »
    The way these terrorists see it is that their innocent family and friends were killed by an illegal invasion under false pretenses.. not to mention the historical interfering by the west in the region for decades... not that it justifies it but you have to attempt to look at it from the other side... .

The chances are they had no family or friends killed in any invasion, but they still buy the story of being at war with the "West." Legality or illegality of any invasion doesn't matter to them either --- they can and will use any excuse, including our supposed loose morals, rampant homosexuality and letting women have rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

looks like the driver got out and shot people....

awful stuff again, thoughts and prayers go to all the victims. sad sad news :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Very sad police probably more attentive in Paris as that has been the main target for attacks so far. Hug your loved ones tonight as so many now no longer can. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

That's simply not the case. I'll give three examples - Kenyan mall massacre, recent Bangladesh restaurant massacre, and Nairobi hotel attack - where the jihadists literally separated the Muslims and non-Muslims and asked them to recite the Qu'ran or answer Islamic trivia. Those who failed in all three of those events were tortured and killed.

Look at their actions in Iraq and Syria. Many Muslims have died at their hands, you could quote the Q'aran as perfectly as you wish, but if you were a Shia Muslim they would show you no mercy at all. They have no real ideology other than a califate where their criminality is permitted, the real issue is that many of the ISIS members are in fact violent criminals who enjoy this behavior and are in a situation where their actions are praised rather than punished.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Up to four trucks used????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Horrific photos going around. Hard to find words, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It has nothing to do with France, rather to do with Islamic Demographics and once their population goes above 10% and higher terrorism and trouble are regular occurrences. France has the largest population of Muslims in Europe. France has lax security plus a huge demograph of self-hating liberal SJW who brand any objection to immigration or terrorism to be Racist. This is a problem of Frances own making; the chickens have come home to roost for the French with their ultra-left wing social policies.

Jesus, I used to live on an estate that was about 25% Muslim, I must be lucky to still be alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Jesus just read 60+ dead and up to 150 more injured! :eek: Surely there must have been involved in it than just the lorry (i.e. guns or a bomb) ... I don't mean to be graphic, but there's no way a lorry could plough through THAT many people? Could it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Oh man this is so indiscriminate and awful. The pictures of the lorry are scary as feck.

Please God the death count will be as low as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The chances are they had no family or friends killed in any invasion, but they still buy the story of being at war with the "West." Legality or illegality of any invasion doesn't matter to them either --- they can and will use any excuse, including our supposed loose morals, rampant homosexuality and letting women have rights.

A lot of these people physically live in the west but their mentalities are still in the middle east/north africa and the backward cultures that exist there. They want the prosperity of the west but not the culture of the west, they want to change western countries so that they are more like the ****holes that they or their parents/grandparents came from.

• Advertisement

Jesus just read 60+ dead and up to 150 more injured! :eek: Surely there must have been involved in it than just the lorry (i.e. guns or a bomb) ... I don't mean to be graphic, but there's no way a lorry could plough through THAT many people? Could it?

Truck plus shooting

A big enough crowd and a high enough speed and it might.

The bullet holes on the lorry look like they were shots towards the lorry not from it. If they were from within they wouldn't be as spread out.

Of course he could have exited and shot then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Jesus, I used to live on an estate that was about 25% Muslim, I must be lucky to still be alive.

It's not necessarily the area or demographics. It's the economic circumstances, local imams etc. Last year Austria blocked foreign funding of religious buildings, mostly due to the Wahabbist ideology that was being spread by Saudi-funded imams in Saudi-funded mosques. There was an article in New York Times last month about how radicalised Kosovo has become due to the investments Saudi has made in the country.

This could end up much worse that the Paris attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Rip, awful news

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

remember this time last year the massacre on the beach in Tunisia, these people are ruthless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I'm in France following the news. Not 4 trucks. Probably 60 dead at least. Driver definitely dead, an armed accomplice had taken refuge in a restaurant and has been "neutralized". Locals definitely mention gunfire as well as the truck deliberately swinging left and right to hit people as it went, a local man guessed at around 80 kmph.

Horror again, no other words.

Sadly, it is very easy to kill many this way, in a confined space and a lorry going at speed, people simply can't get out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Poor Nice my commiserations for the people of that besieged city and of French people everywhere.

Sadly, it is very easy to kill many this way, in a confined space and a lorry going at speed, people simply can't get out of the way.

People probably died without even being hit by the lorry in the subsequent panic and crush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Shocking stuff.

Human beings really are the worst creatures on earth.
    Totally pointless deaths.

• Advertisement
Advertisement