Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nice - Bastille day **mod warning post 1**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Its dead Jim

From reddit:
    A truck has hit a large group of people in Nice, France at a fireworks show. There are 73 confirmed deaths.

Eyewitness reports suggest that gunfire was exchanged between Police and the driver. Earlier reports of a hostage situation are unsubstantiated, say the French Interior Minister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

failinis wrote: »
    As far as I know, Boris is in France today (he was booed at his first appearance in his new role) and I presume he is still in France overnight - but unsure why people are bashing him before he has even opened his mouth.

He's opened his big, fat, lying mouth plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

Just saw a video on LL of the attack, god that was horrible. I feel like crying now. I feel so sorry for these people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

I just read an Interesting comment on Facebook, South America is the safest continent from Islamic terror as South of the United States its almost entirely Catholic with other Christian minorities and less than 1 million Muslims out of over 420+ million in Latin, Central and South America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The crowd were next to a public road, trucks drive on roads what could they ( the police) have done?

Usually traffic would be closed to roads with people on them. Like on St Patricks day. You should not be able to get close, should be stopped streets away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Boris straight into action. What a buffoon .
    What a start for him .

What has Boris done or said about the attack ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Guns and ammo apparently found in the cab according to some media sources,

What a coward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

moloner4 wrote: »
    Just saw a video on LL of the attack, god that was horrible. I feel like crying now. I feel so sorry for these people.

I often wonder about the mindset of people that actively go looking for these videos and then say how horrible it is.

It can't be unseen so why look at it in the first place?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I just read an Interesting comment on Facebook, South America is the safest continent from Islamic terror as South of the United States its almost entirely Catholic with other Christian minorities and less than 1 million Muslims out of over 420+ million in Latin, Central and South America.

Depends how you define terrorism. Drug cartels and gangs can be fairly good at terrorising the population. You're still far safer in Europe than most of South and Central America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

keith16 wrote: »
    He's opened his big, fat, lying mouth plenty.

He has not spoken at all (from what I have seen) on this attack, and whats he meant to say?
    That he is shocked, horrified and disgusted at yet another attack on the French people, maybe UK will offer support in a few ways.
    Don't shoot the guy before he has even done anything - and I don't even like the guy myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Round up the North African uneducated c##ts and send them back

Mod-Banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I often wonder about the mindset of people that actively go looking for these videos and then say how horrible it is.

It can't be unseen so why look at it in the first place.

People's insatiable appetite for this kind of thing never stops

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

CNN giving out about people posting pictures and videos of victims on social media.
    They showed a picture themselves, but no one could be identified but they stopped showing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Such a horrible contrast to the happy scenes of French cities that we saw all throughout the Euros

Usually traffic would be closed to roads with people on them. Like on St Patricks day. You should not be able to get close, should be stopped streets away.

Stopped how? Should they try standing on front of a truck going 80km/hr?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Japan also has a relatively tiny muslim population and no desire to import any more.

Dead will be in 100's . Lets get real. Its a truck.
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They need to introduce internment if only to give themselves some breathing space. Put everyone currently under surveillance behind bars and start from there. This isn't pissy little small-time crime and the civil rights crowd can whinge, but while they whinge, people won't be murdered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

73 dead.

LordSutch wrote: »
    What has Boris done or said about the attack ???

Not a thing.
    Just an opinion of him

• Advertisement

By the sounds of it, he didn't just drive into the crowds but reversed and drove over people for some time

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Simply no words. Condolences to the victims' families.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I agree with those who say that the police couldn't really do anything about the truck. However, it is worth noting (assuming it's an attack) that it wasn't a very good one. Can you imagine the carnage which would have resulted had they filled even a quarter of the truck with explosives to be set off after the drive through? We'd be talking hundreds dead, not scores. The fact that they apparently did not indicates a good likelihood that police monitoring made the acquisition and creation of such materials too risky. In such a case, the French security forces should be commended

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Now more than ever, President Trump.

Amirani wrote: »
    Stopped how? Should they try standing on front of a truck going 80km/hr?

Road block with police truck. Block the access streets leading to people.

my friend wrote: »

Yeah, that's help France.

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I agree with those who say that the police couldn't really do anything about the truck. However, it is worth noting (assuming it's an attack) that it wasn't a very good one. Can you imagine the carnage which would have resulted had they filled even a quarter of the truck with explosives to be set off after the drive through? We'd be talking hundreds dead, not scores. The fact that they apparently did not indicates a good likelihood that police monitoring made the acquisition and creation of such materials too risky. In such a case, the French security forces should be commended

3rd major attack since last year in France. I'd say they need to do a better job!

73 dead so far RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

my friend wrote: »

STFU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Local spectator on Sky News moaning about having her shopping trip interupted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

They need to introduce internment if only to give themselves some breathing space. Put everyone currently under surveillance behind bars and start from there. This isn't pissy little small-time crime and the civil rights crowd can whinge, but while they whinge, people won't be murdered.

Did internment stop the IRA? No, it recruited loads of people to their cause who wouldn't otherwise have joined them. The same would happen in France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

So sad to keep seeing these threads pop up. :( RIP

Road block with police truck. Block the access streets leading to people.

How many roads? How many police trucks? Every single city in France? How big a truck do you build a barricade to prevent? Just Bastille Day or anytime there's crowds around? Just think about things.

If there was specific intelligence about a truck attack sure, otherwise, completely impossible to prevent this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

I just heard that and couldn't believe what I was hearing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

Guns and grenades found in the cabin, this was planed. Happened during the fireworks.
    Those bastards planned this well for max carnage.

Does anyone know if he's still alive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This sort of attack is beginning to wear a bit thin, understandably, with the French public.

A presidential election is due in mid-2017, and currently the very savvy Marine Le Pen of the National Front is ahead in the polls, unthinkable a decade ago.

If these attacks continue to drive moderate French voters to the right, the inevitable outcome is a far-right Government and the lid being lifted on anti-Muslim sentiment, escalating into reprisals, eviction, alienation, subjugation and eventually wholesale attacks on muslim neighbourhoods.

The only solution is for responsible Muslims to cleanse their own communities of extremists, not turn the blind eye. If they don't, mobs straight out of the 1930s will do it for them, and the next French Govt will be the ones turning the blind eye.

I dread to think where Europe, and the world frankly, will be in 10 years time, but not a single sign is positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

I was just thinking that , seems kinda disrespectful "we did some lovely shopping and now I'm not bothered with it" cut her off ffs!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

US Media now reporting. Minimum 73 dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

3rd major attack since last year in France. I'd say they need to do a better job!

73 dead so far RIP

Trying to stop terrorists AND remain a democratic, free society that exists by the rule of law is not easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Saved by having to go to the ladies'

Sky will put anybody on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Shot dead by police I believe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Not a thing.
    Just an opinion of him

Lay off Boris, he's said nothing about the attack/tradgedy yet.

Yeah, she was in Nice hoping to see a terrorist attack.

Yeah, they should be everywhere all the time to stop everything. They should've known some random concert venue and restaurant would be attacked in Paris and the 6th largest city would be targeted by a truck. Terrible job they're doing.

Come on the ****, blaming completely the wrong people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Probably dead from a lot of nationalities, maybe some Irish we don't know.
    I was watching the Tour de France a couple of days ago and some beautiful scenery, they said France is the number one tourist destination in the world.
    So one can imagine people from many countries out on the promenade, happy and enjoying themselves and then here we are in a most unimaginable situation.
    When I was younger we had the cold war, but what is going on these days is far more sinister.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Something has happened at the Eiffel tower too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Guns and grenades found in the cabin, this was planed. Happened during the fireworks.
    Those bastards planned this well for max carnage.

Police shot him.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Lay off Boris, he's said nothing about the attack/tradgedy yet.

But you were asking why he was booed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

The video of the truck driving into the crowd is so scary. Driving slowly then speeding up into people. **** this Islamic State bull****.

Are you being obtuse on purpose? You have to know better. It's France, where are they going to get a few hundred kilos of explosives without getting caught? A truck is perfect, it's just a truck, how are they going to track everyone who has access to a truck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Something has happened at the Eiffel tower too.

There was a fireworks display but it malfunctioned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement