Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nice - Bastille day **mod warning post 1**

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Death toll now at 73. Universal reports of the panic in Nice. Would advise that you avoid watching the videos of the aftermath as they are utterly haunting. I don't have the words to describe just how jarring they are.

My thoughts are with the good people of Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

mansize wrote: »
    This lady really needs to look at her value system:

Comes across as some sort of Katie Hopkins-style wannabe. Stupid bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Negative_G wrote: »
    The religion of peace strikes again.

The resident AH apologists will be along very shortly to assure us everything is fine.

Such a boring comment.

There's going to be more attacks, maybe they will never end, most of them may be muslims, it still doesn't add any weight to your rediculous comment.

Evey time something awful happens, you get a bunch of dumb comments about "hur dur, Islam, bla bla bla, they are all bad evil fkers who deserve to be piled several miles high and set on fire, because, you know... stuff...". It's boring. It doesn't make for a perticularly interesting read. Just stupid comments.

It's such a pity ignorance can't be surgically removed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

This is war, time to despatch those that don't fully integrate into our way of life.

Too cowardly to agree? You can ship with the rejects.

Decent citizens will no longer stand idly by.

Stand down weasel Obama, lets Inaugurate Trump now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Journalists do it literally all the time. Look at any photographer or videographer who goes to warzones. Read a few newspapers, watch the news on tv.

News organisations have editors who are supposed to use their judgement about what they show and not just indiscriminately show everything and anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

20Cent wrote: »
    So f*cking what?
    That statement means less than nothing.

They fight to prevent conquest of their lands & homes.... coincidently slap-bang in the middle of islamic nations.

Islamism's war against the West (and yes, it is a war) will continue while people remain desperate to pretend to themselves that there is no such thing.

This pretense is succor for ISIS, it is their shield.

Isis want to turn this west v Isis fight into a west v all of Islam fight. The nut jobs like trump wanting internment and banning Muslims from countries are doing exactly what Isis want them to do.
    Agreed, yet...
    On the other hand I'm starting to think : "what's the alternative ?"

We can't just sit there and watch our countries being attacked repeatedly without some drastic action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

moloner4 wrote: »
    She missed the truck from going to the toilet, she's in shock probably. How dare people mock someone who barely missed a terrorist attack from their armchairs.

I'm not making her, I'm saying she needs to re evaluate her values

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Islam has proven countless times that it is too primitive and violent for Europe. Europe as a continent really needs to slam the door in its face and start shifting those who are already here back to where they came from.

Muslims have been in Europe for thousands of years bro - wake up. Islamophobia is well and truly live. Statistically speaking, your point about Muslims is incredibly invalid!!

Go educate yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Where is the ''not in my name'' outrage from most Muslims? There never is any.

https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=not+in+my+name+isis

Just a small sample.

Anyway back to the matter on hand. My heart goes out to those affected by this and can only hope that any that helped plan this are brought to justice quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Road block with police truck. Block the access streets leading to people.
    what every busy road in every town in France on Bastille day?! Yeah do that and they go back to find or blowing themselves up. Probably pulling out of war on terror might be the only thing that stops or lessens risk of attack...

So say they anticipate this and block roads. What next? Try to defend against drones with explosives detonating in a crowd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

CNN showing bodies now.
    Why. They went with, just listen, we don't want you to see, just listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

How long until something is done? Europe has a problem with Islamic extremism. When will this be acknowledged? When will people stop denying we have a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭rjpf1980

sugarman wrote: »
    I regrettably clicked on a video on twitter of some utter ****ingscumbag recording the debris, walking up the street, getting close up on people seriously injured seeking medical attention and of the dead.

WHO ****ING DOES THAT?

and instantly uploads it to youtube.

I hate what we're becoming as a human race.

You are more angry with the person who showed you the horror of the attack than you are with the individual, the terrorist group and the parent ideology that gave birth to the attack?

People like you need to be shaken into action.

We are in a global world war against radical Islamic extremism.

We must fight or submit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

FBI put out a warning in the US two years ago for these types of attacks in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I'm not making her, I'm saying she needs to re evaluate her values

She is in shock - she is not likely in the mood to express her values. People say all sorts of ****e when they they are scared, angry or shocked. I wouldn't interpret it all that deeply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Its dead Jim

my friend wrote: »
    This is war, time to despatch those that don't fully integrate into our way of life.

Lets get rid of democracy. Will you be getting on the first boat out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

News organisations have editors who are supposed to use their judgement about what they show and not just indiscriminately show everything and anything.

There's plenty of journalists who regularly post their stuff straight to social media.

Muslims have been in Europe for thousands of years bro - wake up. Islamophobia is well and truly live. Statistically speaking, your point about Muslims is incredibly invalid!!

Go educate yourself

Islam has existed for about 1400 years, thus cannot have been in europe for "thousands of years". bro.

And it came to Europe through invasions, so you're not exactly making a great point anyway if you're going for the whole "religion of peace" thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Religion of people unlikely to have caused this crime.
    Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist.

rjpf1980 wrote: »
    You are more angry with the person who showed you the horror of the attack than you are with the individual, the terrorist group and the parent ideology that gave birth to the attack?

We must fight or submit.

Have you signed up to fight them?

• Advertisement

I often wonder about the mindset of people that actively go looking for these videos and then say how horrible it is.

It can't be unseen so why look at it in the first place?

Morbid curiosity

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

How long until something is done? Europe has a problem with Islamic extremism. When will this be acknowledged? When will people stop denying we have a problem?

Nobody denies there is a problem with Islamic extremism. Unfortunately there is no easy solution. Some people struggle with this because they think everything is black and white.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

"The crucial point of confusion is that we have been sold this meme of Islamophobia, where every criticism of the doctrine of Islam gets conflated with bigotry towards Muslims as people. That is intellectually ridiculous." - Sam Harris

Full video...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Whilst Europe imports terrorism it will get terrorism.
    The UK leaving the EU will save countless lives.

If you pray, then pray for the families and the loved ones of the victims, and keep the people who have to deal with these situations in your thoughts.
    None of us want to think of what first responders - medics, police and all the others who have to clean up the scene of what they have to deal with.

There were more than 40,000 people present for the fireworks.

my friend wrote: »

How the F is Trump going to help Europe, or France with this issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

getzls wrote: »
    Religion of people unlikely to have caused this crime.
    Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist.

Can you point out any of those religions who haven't had extremists and fanatics carry out murder and mayhem in their names?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what every busy road in every town in France on Bastille day?! Yeah do that and they go back to find or blowing themselves up. Probably pulling out of war on terror might be the only thing that stops or lessens risk of attack...

So say they anticipate this and block roads. What next? Try to defend against drones with explosives detonating in a crowd?

This sort of attack will happen when the jihadists figure out how to swarm crowds with enough drone bombs to yield the sort of casualties they desire.

getzls wrote: »
    Whilst Europe imports terrorism it will get terrorism.
    The UK leaving the EU will save countless lives.

7/7 bombers were British born, and their ancestry was from Pakistan which would mean leaving the EU would have done nothing to save the UK from those attacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Muslims have been in Europe for thousands of years bro

How many thousands bro?
    Round off to the nearest thousands??

and Bro, were they in Europe peacefully, or by conquest.... bro?

Keen to hear your knowledge..... bro ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I'd happily put money on the fact that there won't be a major terrorist attack in Ireland in 2016. I sleep quite easily at night, the threat of one isn't even on my radar right now.

Too Tired wrote: »
    Only good thing about these attacks is that more and more people will wake up and see how incompatible Islam is with the West. French intelligence minister warned of a French civil war. In his opinion a Cologne style mass sex attack will kick it off.

This is an idiotic statement. Islam is very compatible with the west, radical arseholes are not... please do know the difference.

gandalf wrote: »
    Can you point out any of those religions who haven't had extremists and fanatics carry out murder and mayhem in their names?

Ah please - do we really have to compare actual terrorists to historical and hypothetical terrorists for balance now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

This is such a horrible attack - they all are - but armchair politicising really pisses me off. Hopefully no one here knows of the horror victims of terror, their families, the emergency services attending, go through.

We can't become desensitized to these attacks wherever they happen in the world. Time to disengage our smart phones and talk, rally, fight against terrorism. Everyone speak out, every religious persuasion or none, every race - the ordinary people who don't need to take **** like this anymore.

I fear for the 'snowflake' generation - hopefully their children will have a bit more sense - some of the comments for sake of 'not offending' made here are just ignorant and naïve.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

I am so sorry for the people in Nice tonight. I can picture families out enjoying themselves on a lovely warm evening and the fireworks over the sea are spectacular and then this horror and carnage was inflicted on them.There is such evil in this world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

It's true though, no christians, Hindus, Buddhists etc commit such barbaric atrocities at the same frequency and scales.....

The silence does also be deafening!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

We must fight or submit.

If you really want to be on the front lines against Isis you'd need to join one of the Kurdish groups who are em Muslim.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

It doesn't make sense that there were guns and grenades inside the truck - it suggests the original plan was different, and maybe more people involved

Of course, every religion has had extremists at some point. But which religion has been the inspiration for the majority of terrorist attacks recently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭FA Hayek

Seems like a weekly occurrence now these types of attacks. How long more will the French people continue to accept the status quo? Decades of weak leadership has resulted in this. If the leaders of today are not willing to face up to the issue, then the voters will find new leaders on the edge of the political spectrum to sort this issue out. We need to have frank and honest discussion about migration, Islam and multiculturalism.

RIP to all those who died

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

sugarman wrote: »
    I regrettably clicked on a video on twitter of some utter ****ingscumbag recording the debris, walking up the street, getting close up on people seriously injured seeking medical attention and of the dead.

WHO ****ING DOES THAT?

and instantly uploads it to youtube.

I hate what we're becoming as a human race.

I'll make a point of watching as much if it as I can, so I can see with my own eyes, what these people have gone through. I do the same with less trendy "First World" parts of the world.

The more people see what's going on, the less people die in vain. Try and feel what they felt for just a moment.

I know people who will deliberately switch from this to big brother, just to get away from it. Easy for them I suppose. All they have to do is press buttons...

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭rjpf1980

Have you signed up to fight them?

Give me the orders and the weapons and I will fight.

We need leaders in Europe.

Not the cowards who rule us today.

We are at war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Many have but how many of those religions still have terrorists and extremists fighting and killing in the name of their religion today?

Give me the orders and the weapons and I will fight.

Go to Russia. Sign up. Vlad will give you weapons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Islam has existed for about 1400 years, thus cannot have been in europe for "thousands of years". bro.

And it came to Europe through invasions, so you're not exactly making a great point anyway if you're going for the whole "religion of peace" thing.

I just find it astonishing that some people think these ISIS animals are actually Muslim. If you studied Islam, you would know but clearly many people's only education seems to be from the media.

You can't blame or punish an entire religion for the acts of a minority

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Seen some footage on youtube, horrible and terrifying stuff.

Becoming too common this, surprised nothing happened at the football games over there.

You can time them to a tee, always some ISIS related massacre every fortnight or so now.

Heart goes out to them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

FalconGirl wrote: »
    It's true though, no christians, Hindus, Buddhists etc commit such barbaric atrocities at the same frequency and scales.....

The silence does also be deafening!!

9.6% of France's population are Muslim.

According to the guide, "When Muslims reach 10% of the population, they will increase lawlessness as a means of complaint about their conditions ( Paris –car-burnings) ."

Remember: the goal is not to control your resources or steal your gold, etc., The goal is Sharia Law - be it now, next week, next year or in 100 years. That is the goal.

They will keep attacking forever, because the goal is one that will always be virtually unattainable - it won't happen overnight. NO truck attack or bomb will see a law passed to cancel democracy and enact Sharia as primary rule - but as population changes over generations, if it is ever attained and Sharia is enacted, the intra-faith tribal war takes over (e.g., Shia v Sunni).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

Watch Fox News. Trump is on live with Bill O Reilly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Sand wrote: »
    Ah please - do we really have to compare actual terrorists to historical and hypothetical terrorists for balance now?

No just pointing out that ALL RELIGIONS have fanatics who are prepared to carry out acts of murder to prove they are the correct one.

To tar all Muslims with the acts of a pack of Fanatics is lazy and dangerous. FFS these guys bombed the second holiest sites in Islam during Ramadan. It shows what they really think of their fellow muslims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

gone up to 75 dead, 50 injured :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement