Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car breakdown scam help!

• 14-07-2016 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I have recently been involved in an elaborate scam where my car broke down and a stranger came to 'help' claiming to be a mechanic, he has had the car now 5 days and doesn't seem capable of repairing it and yet will not let me have it towed to another garage, he is being very agressive and incompetent, is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's possible this is a known scam where they disable a parked car at Tesco or similar and then approach driver offering to fix it, when all that's needed is putting the plug coils back or similar.

If you think it's a scam go to the Gardai and ask for advice. He may be a known crook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Where has he your car kept, in a garage? What work has he done on it to date? Maybe turn up with a few big mates unannounced and tell him you're taking it away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A scam where you "gave" a complete stranger your car, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jimbis

bazz26 wrote: »
    Where has he your car kept, in a garage? What work has he done on it to date? Maybe turn up with a few big mates unannounced and tell him you're taking it away.

If you want your car back now then do this, simple!
    Gards are just gonna tell you it's a civil matter. If your not the type to do the 'rough approach' then speak to a solicitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

How exactly is it a scam? Did you agree to let this person take your car and attempt to repair it?

If so, and you want to take it elsewhere to be repaired, you should be prepared to pay a reasonable amount (recovery/towing, actual work done etc.) to get it back. Don't let yourself be ripped off.

Certainly bring someone, or more than one, with you, but don't go in mob-handed. Do you have another key?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 fullofbeans

biko wrote: »
    It's possible this is a known scam where they disable a parked car at Tesco or similar and then approach driver offering to fix it, when all that's needed is putting the plug coils back or similar.

If you think it's a scam go to the Gardai and ask for advice. He may be a known crook.

Their advice was to have it towed out of there but the mechanic refused and (all 4!) continued to work on it without fixing it... eventually they would let me tow it if I paid €350 for the 'work'.... it's still not fixed but apparently has a new engine...

bazz26 wrote: »

I was trying to do that with the tow truck but they refused, I'm too scared to go back to the garage and I don't want to send anyone I care about, the guys have been quite abusive to me.

Yes, on the understanding that he would repair the car! I had been broke down on a dangerous bend and this 'gentleman' claimed to be a mechanic..... yes I kick myself now but hindsight is great eh!

jimbis wrote: »
    If you want your car back now then do this, simple!
    Gards are just gonna tell you it's a civil matter. If your not the type to do the 'rough approach' then speak to a solicitor.

Yeah, not tough enough for this, plus my car is locked inside a bay where I could never get at it!

Esel wrote: »
    How exactly is it a scam? Did you agree to let this person take your car and attempt to repair it?

If so, and you want to take it elsewhere to be repaired, you should be prepared to pay a reasonable amount (recovery/towing, actual work done etc.) to get it back. Don't let yourself be ripped off.

Certainly bring someone, or more than one, with you, but don't go in mob-handed. Do you have another key?

Yes I agree with you, but I was told the car would be ready Tuesday night and every day I'm told it wil be ready that evening.... now I'm too scared to go back to the garage or send anyone I care about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

Their advice was to have it towed out of there but the mechanic refused and (all 4!) continued to work on it without fixing it... eventually they would let me tow it if I paid €350 for the 'work'.... it's still not fixed but apparently has a new engine...

This is looking more and more like a criminal matter. No reputable garage would just put in a new engine without discussing it with you first. Get the Gardai involved is my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Yeah, not tough enough for this, plus my car is locked inside a bay where I could never get at it!
    OP, what type of garage is it? Is it just some unnamed backstreet outfit? Are there any other cars there being repaired that you can see?

cml387 wrote: »
    This is looking more and more like a criminal matter. No reputable garage would just put in a new engine without discussing it with you first. Get the Gardai involved is my opinion.

I did agree for the new engine to be put in but
    understood the car would be ready on Tuesday.
    Gardai say no crime has been committed (yet!)
    but insist that if I do not pay for the work that criminal charges will be brought against me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

The mind boggles at the things some people do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Are there lots of vans and caravans parked next to the 'garage'

Shint0 wrote: »
    OP, what type of garage is it? Is it just some unnamed backstreet outfit? Are there any other cars there being repaired that you can see?

It appears to be a garage to my 'non mechanic'
    eyes!

The mind boggles at the things some people do

Thanks for your support!!!
    The guy was VERY persistent and I was broken down on a dangerous place on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I did agree for the new engine to be put in but
    understood the car would be ready on Tuesday.
    Gardai say no crime has been committed (yet!)
    but insist that if I do not pay for the work that criminal charges will be brought against me!

Are you Irish ?

Are there lots of vans and caravans parked next to the 'garage'

No caravans.... guess they must be in for repair!

Tigger wrote: »
    Are you Irish ?

What does that have to do with it?!

• Advertisement

What does that have to do with it?!

You say that the guards told you criminal charges will be brought if you don't pay for work you didn't request
    Since it's not their job to enforce payment I thought you might not be Irish

You say that the guards told you criminal charges will be brought if you don't pay for work you didn't request
    Since it's not their job to enforce payment I thought you might not be Irish

I understand they do not enforce payment but apparently I can be chased as a criminal if I remove the car without paying.
    Still don't see how my nationality is relevant!

I understand they do not enforce payment but apparently I can be chased as a criminal if I remove the car without paying.
    Still don't see how my nationality is relevant!

I can't see why it's a secret
    You gave your car to a mechanic to attempt to fix if you believe you are being scammed then after you pay get a receipt and consult a solicitor
    If he changed the engine without permission you can probably get a judgement

I can't see why it's a secret
    You gave your car to a mechanic to attempt to fix if you believe you are being scammed then after you pay get a receipt and consult a solicitor
    If he changed the engine without permission you can probably get a judgement

Well he bullied me into handing it over on the side of the road.
    Receipt for what??
    Actually I'm Irish though I still don't see how it's relevant!!!!

Receipt for what??
    He bullied you into handing it over? Did he put it on a truck or how did he take it away? How did you get home?
    Receipt for the money you will have to pay for recovery of your vehicle and work done diagnosing the issue

He bullied you into handing it over? Did he put it on a truck or how did he take it away? How did you get home?
    Receipt for the money you will have to pay for recovery of your vehicle and work done diagnosing the issue

'Work' done?! Funny

'Work' done?! Funny

Did he recover the car on a truck . This is work
    Did he try to see what's wrong and fix it ? More work
    How is it an elaborate scam btw it sounds at worst like a backstreet mechanic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

Surely that's a civil dispute and not the business of the Gardai, as they're so fond of saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Troll. Gotta be. Surely.

• Advertisement

endagibson wrote: »
    Surely that's a civil dispute and not the business of the Gardai, as they're so fond of saying.

There are a few instances when refusal to pay becomes a Garda matter, I don't understand it but I know that if I do some carpentry work for you in your home and you refuse to pay I will have to go down a long and complicated legal route to recover my money however if a person pumps diesel and doesn't pay the Guards will look at a tape investigate you track you down and try to make you pay. You might say that one is goods and the other is services but it's also true that if a person refuses to pay a taxi driver the guards will involve themselves .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Receipt for what??

Seriously???

dodzy wrote: »
    Troll. Gotta be. Surely.
    Let the mods decide that.

OP, you need legal advice. Right now it doesn't seem like a scam but you were actually broken down and a mechanic came to tow car away.
    It appears you agreed to the work carried out.

I suggest you tell them to stop working on the car, pay what is owed and get it removed from there to a trusted mechanic.
    Make sure to get an itemised list of what they did and get new mechanic to verify the work was carried out - you can chase this Clondalkin garage in the small court for any work not carried out.

Let the mods decide that.

OP, you need legal advice. Right now it doesn't seem like a scam but you were actually broken down and a mechanic came to tow car away.
    It appears you agreed to the work carried out.

I suggest you tell them to stop working on the car, pay what is owed and get it removed from there to a trusted mechanic.
    Make sure to get an itemised list of what they did and get new mechanic to verify the work was carried out - you can chase this Clondalkin garage in the small court for any work not carried out.

350 for recovery/ diagnosis and a new engine sounds cheap but if he didn't ask for it I suppose he should t have to pay
    Call it 120 for recovery 100 for diagnostics

you can chase this Clondalkin garage in the small court for any work not carried out.

How do you know it's in clondalkin ?

you can chase this Clondalkin garage in the small court for any work not carried out.
    Did the OP say it was in Clondalkin? :confused: I know a very good reputable mechanic there. I can pass on the details to the OP if it would be convenient for them if it is in that area.

• Advertisement

How do you know it's in clondalkin ?
    By the magic of PMs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭imnorobot

what year & model is the car & how much is it worth

As suggested
    Get an itemised bill ( important )
    Pay whats owed at the moment
    have it towed to a reputable garage
    Have the new repairer check the engine number to verify that it has been changed ( important )
    also check that the work done specified was actually done

If it has not been changed or work not done then small claims court
    and name and shame the garage

If it has then cut your losses
    probably flog the car as you have no idea of the service history of the engine they may have put in and as such have no idea if it will sit down in a few weeks or days

sell it cheaper with the proviso that your selling it as it has had some repairs and you are selling as is

imnorobot wrote: »
    what year & model is the car & how much is it worth

As suggested
    Get an itemised bill ( important )
    Pay whats owed at the moment
    have it towed to a reputable garage
    Have the new repairer check the engine number to verify that it has been changed ( important )
    also check that the work done specified was actually done

If it has not been changed or work not done then small claims court
    and name and shame the garage

If it has then cut your losses
    probably flog the car as you have no idea of the service history of the engine they may have put in and as such have no idea if it will sit down in a few weeks or days

sell it cheaper with the proviso that your selling it as it has had some repairs and you are selling as is

Thanks for all the replies folks, I still have no car and it's apparently in storage at cost.... ha ha ha.... it's been reported to the gardai and my insurance company so let's see how it goes, as far as I'm concerned I've been scammed, I know not everyone believes this but c'est la vie.... the car is worth €550 and the 'repairs' to date have been €350..... well it makes a good story eh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

The car has probably had a few bits stripped off.
    Be an awful pity if it caught fire and burned down everything around it..........

The car has probably had a few bits stripped off.
    Be an awful pity if it caught fire and burned down everything around it..........

Indeed......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Ridiculous thread is ridiculous.

Best bet this is fraud, failing that it is theft.

Either way, if the OP hasn't reported it to the guards then they deserve what they get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

There are a few instances when refusal to pay becomes a Garda matter, I don't understand it but I know that if I do some carpentry work for you in your home and you refuse to pay I will have to go down a long and complicated legal route to recover my money however if a person pumps diesel and doesn't pay the Guards will look at a tape investigate you track you down and try to make you pay. You might say that one is goods and the other is services but it's also true that if a person refuses to pay a taxi driver the guards will involve themselves .
    I suppose the difference is the consumption of the service, making the "depriving permanently" bit of theft work. Petrol is something that as soon as you drive away you're using it up. Same with the taxi journey. This chap who has your car has never owned it. The ownership remains with the OP.

Steve wrote: »

Either way, if the OP hasn't reported it to the guards then they deserve what they get.

The OP said they reported it to the Guards but were told it was a civil matter.

OP, at this stage you can't be trying to deal with this on your own. You need to tell the Guards you are feeling intimidated. Have you had any further contact with the garage today?

Yes I have reported it.
    I agree that it is indeed ridiculous!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

simple arrange for a tow truck to pick up the car with you from the garage at a certain time

go to the Garda and tell them that you are recovering your property from the garage and that you believe there is going to be a breach of the peace as the proprietor has been very aggressive. and that you would appreciate a gaurd to accompany you in the event there will be a breach of the peace.

Normally this works as you have told the garda that there will be a violent act committed, they are obliged to attend

pay your bill and take car.....

u gave car to be towed and repaired by a mechanic, as outlined work has been done at your request (whether you feel bullied into agreeing is something to take up later with a solicitor)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭Allinall

Bit harsh, seeing as the post before yours says that it was reported to the guards.

Maybe actually read the thread before making judgements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

I did agree for the new engine to be put in
    the car is worth €550 and the 'repairs' to date have been €350.....

You agreed to a new engine for a car worth no more than €550, on advice from a stranger, and without knowing yourself what was wrong with the car.

The whole story makes no sense.

face1990 wrote: »
    You agreed to a new engine for a car worth no more than €550, on advice from a stranger, and without knowing yourself what was wrong with the car.

The whole story makes no sense.
    I acually missed the bit where he said he agreed to the new engine
    So it's a scam where his car is recovered from a dangerous bend and I he engine is replaced for only a €350 but the trick is they took three days longer than expected so he called the cops

I acually missed the bit where he said he agreed to the new engine
    So it's a scam where his car is recovered from a dangerous bend and I he engine is replaced for only a €350 but the trick is they took three days longer than expected so he called the cops
    How do you know the OP is 'he'?
    Sometimes people people can get stuck, sometimes people can get caught out, sometimes people don't know much about cars or know someone who does and sometimes that can get taken advantage of.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ericsinjun

If the car was recovered, diagnosed & engine replaced (with owners agreement) for €350 and the owner is calling the gards, I'm surprised the mechanic isn't on here posting about being scammed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement