Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car breakdown scam help!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

No way the engine was changed for 350.
    Wouldn't get an engine for that never mind the labour.

I can't tell what's going on here but I'd be checking it over thoroughly before you leave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

ericsinjun wrote: »
    If the car was recovered, diagnosed & engine replaced (with owners agreement) for €350 and the owner is calling the gards, I'm surprised the mechanic isn't on here posting about being scammed.
    The OP said the car still isn't working and four mechanics there haven't been able to fix it but the car is not being released to them to bring it somewhere else. We can only go by what the OP is saying. We don't know if the OP did make any offer to pay for towing etc as was recommended on this thread. They would need to come back and give an update on that point.

If it needs even further repairs at this stage the OP might have to consider just getting a different car as they could end up throwing good money after bad but that's entirely up to them to decide. The car might be roadworthy if it can be looked at and repaired by a different mechanic without having to buy a new car.

I have PMed the OP with details of a good mechanic in the area who wouldn't be a trickster but it's up to them to decide how to proceed with the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Honestly at this stage I'd walk away.

Through inexperience OP has allowed the case where these guys have a right to charge in excess of the value of the car.

Just go and buy another car and learn from the incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Take your 350 and buy this car (or similar)
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/daewoo-kalos-driiving-perfectly/12846958

Send your current cars reg. cert. to Shannon and declare it scrapped.
    Try and get any personal effects out of your car in the garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Shint0 wrote: »
    How do you know the OP is 'he'?
    Sometimes people people can get stuck, sometimes people can get caught out, sometimes people don't know much about cars or know someone who does and sometimes that can get taken advantage of.

Everyone knows there are no women on the Internet :rolleyes:
    There is no scam here a mechanic recovered the car and is in the process of fixing it
    A customer agree for him to try to fix it and it's taking longer than he thought
    Next thing he knows the customer wants the car back for free and they are talking about going to the guards
    Not a scam
    Where is one scammy part in this whole thread where he/she has posted

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Take your 350 and buy this car (or similar)
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/daewoo-kalos-driiving-perfectly/12846958

Send your current cars reg. cert. to Shannon and declare it scrapped.
    Try and get any personal effects out of your car in the garage.
    You need an end of life cert from a registered scrapper
    No nct since 2013 and tax of 380 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

You can send the cert yourself. If you don't tax your car, Shannon will eventually write and ask if the car is scrapped, written off, etc.

Anyway, what has the motor tax got to do with it? No matter what you drive, you have to pay the motor tax.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    You can send the cert yourself. If you don't tax your car, Shannon will eventually write and ask if the car is scrapped, written off, etc.

Anyway, what has the motor tax got to do with it? No matter what you drive, you have to pay the motor tax.
    The ops car is presumably taxed
    What about the 3 years no nct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Tigger wrote: »
    Everyone knows there are no women on the Internet :rolleyes:
    There is no scam here a mechanic recovered the car and is in the process of fixing it
    A customer agree for him to try to fix it and it's taking longer than he thought
    Next thing he knows the customer wants the car back for free and they are talking about going to the guards
    Not a scam
    Where is one scammy part in this whole thread where he/she has posted
    I did say that sometimes it can happen.

My concern is that the OP is saying they are afraid to go back as the garage has been very abusive towards them and they are scared. That's not acceptable no matter who is in the right or wrong and is not a professional way for any business to try to resolve an issue and possibly that's why the OP has involved the Gardaí. If some work has been done legitimately then it probably should be paid for but that's for both sides to fight it out through legal channels.

As has already been suggested the OP might be better to just buy another car going by the value of the current one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can't just leave it there. They may come after you for storage and whatnot.
    Sorry but you will have to stand up for yourself OP and face these guys. Bring a friend and record the conversation openly.

The car has probably had a few bits stripped off.
    Be an awful pity if it caught fire and burned down everything around it..........
    If I see any more comments like this bans will be handed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Op , you say it is at a garage, what is the name of the garage?

Where exactly is the garage, maybe then we can give a better idea.

If it left on a tow truck then was there any advertising on the truck ?

This story is not adding up in my head and more straight answers we get from you the more we can help

Op , you say it is at a garage, what is the name of the garage?

Where exactly is the garage, maybe then we can give a better idea.
    No naming in thread, use PM.
    Garage is in Clondalkin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

biko wrote: »
    If I see any more comments like this bans will be handed out.

Im-innocent_o_27329.jpg

But on a more serious note, OP, yer stuff is probably held by people why typically operate outside what the law - at this point - can be bothered to deal with dragging to court only to be treated like the bad guy in the box themselves while the scumbag gets off because he was 'traumatised after he stubbed his baby toe when he was seven and mummy didn't hug him'...

That's what was meant when the guards said "It's a civil matter", btw. So..... If you want to fatten some gurning solicitors pockets for the pleasure of eventually getting something you'll almost definitely have to pay to scrap and replace anyway, then by all means...

Or you can put that money towards another car now, because they legally can't chase you for """storage""", given they're outside the law as mentioned, so leave the whole disaster behind and learn a lesson; tell the next arse hole that tries to "help" you to **** off.

Not what I'd do - I'd have told them to **** off first and foremost - but then that's only because I'm a **** with too little to lose, to be physically or mentally capable of tolerating a loss bestowed upon me by people who arrogantly assert that my sole reason for existence on this rock, is to be rode by them.

Move on. New car. New lesson.

Advertisement