Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird atmosphere and I got poor work appraisal only 8 days into new job

Options
  • 14-07-2016 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I had a work appraisal today and it didn't go well. I am 8 days into a part time job. I have a junior co-worker who has worked there for 20 years who hasn't learnt any new skills so she can't get promoted. She put in a lot of complaints about me which sounded bad but are silly.

The boss gives the junior staff little to do and has not trained them up. This means she expects me to do nearly everything. I like all the junior staff apart from one woman who is extremely loud, she practically screams all day and does almost nothing all day. Today, she moaned like a woman giving birth for 3-4 hours while getting the 19 year old to rub cream onto her back in the middle of the workplace. Then when nobody was looking started looking at photos while continuing to loudly moan. Herself and the boss have weird conversations at work about knickers and bitching about people I have never met. The other co-workers don't join into these conversations. The boss said the bad atmosphere is due to me. I say nothing but I find the setup weird. Naturally, I don't want to be doing all the work.

How should I react to this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

Leave now

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bonyn

If you dont need the money, walk

• Registered Users Posts: 8 angelhair144

Why don't you think I should stay and talk this out?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

You're only there 8 days. The other person is there 20 years. Staying in a horrible atmosphere like this is just going to cause you stress and frustration, nothing's going to change in your favour. Start looking for a new job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Part time, 8 days in, and an appraisal already? Is this for real?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Yeah, i agree with the others, i'd just leave if you can at all...someone that's there 20 years is obviously well-in and liked by the boss(as mad as you might find that) If you're not going to get on, you'll get the road eventually...i'd jump before i was pushed....
    Also life is too short to let someone like that stress you out and make life miserable!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Without giving too many details, whats the industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd echo the advice OP.. leave now if you can afford to, or start looking seriously for a new job.

This reminds me of a colleague back in an old job who was stuck with a manager who would spend her days f*cking about in her office and giggling about her new "Sex and the City skirt" with her (also female) team lead. In the end my colleague ended up quitting it was driving them mad so much.

You won't win when there's childish "cliques" going on in an office like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

8 days in and an appraisal?

what 19 year old was rubbing cream into her back?

wasnt that a scene in a carry on movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

what 19 year old was rubbing cream into her back?

That and the knicker talk and the moaning....very strange.
    What industry is it OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Colser wrote: »
    That and the knicker talk and the moaning....very strange.
    What industry is it OP?

the adult 'entertainment' industry lolz

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Im going for hairdressers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

the adult 'entertainment' industry lolz

That never entered my mind😛

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Give it a go! Report back here and let us know how you get on.

(getting the popcorn now ....)

Seriously - this is not going to change no matter how much talking you do. Are you taking the p*ss with your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Part time, 8 days in, and an appraisal already? Is this for real?

Really? That's what stuck out for you?! :pac:
    Today, she moaned like a woman giving birth for 3-4 hours while getting the 19 year old to rub cream onto her back in the middle of the workplace. Then when nobody was looking started looking at photos while continuing to loudly moan.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

She put in a lot of complaints about me which sounded bad but are silly.

Can you give some examples?

How many is a lot?

After 8 days of part-time work you're being very quick to judge the history and abilities of a 20 year staffer.

And what, you've had a conversation with the boss where he/she siad the bad athmosphere was due to you?

You're screwed OP. There's no way any boss in his right mind would keep you with that opinion and those complaints hanging over you.

I'll echo the others and advise you to start job-hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭selastich2

Put in a discrimination claim because the young lad doesn't rub your shoulders? Ask the young lad what's the crack with him rubbing her shoulders, is he being preyed upon?

Seriously though it sounds like a nightmare and mrs.moany appears to be friends with the boss, so time to look for a new job, they sound weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

8 days in, part time, you've decided you know everything that's wrong with the place and who's to blame.

The woman's worked there for 20 years.

YOU are the junior.

Quit looking down your nose at everything and everyone else. Get on with your work, be courteous and professional in your dealings with EVERY employee and never again get ideas you are senior to anyone just because of your job title and responsibilities.

That's a life lesson, not something unique to this workplace and coworkers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

If you can't beat them join them,stock up on Creme de la mere....and agent provocateur.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

8 days in, part time, you've decided you know everything that's wrong with the place and who's to blame.

The woman's worked there for 20 years.

YOU are the junior.

Quit looking down your nose at everything and everyone else. Get on with your work, be courteous and professional in your dealings with EVERY employee and never again get ideas you are senior to anyone just because of your job title and responsibilities.

That's a life lesson, not something unique to this workplace and coworkers.

This post is a total nonsense....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Seriously - this is not going to change no matter how much talking you do. Are you taking the p*ss with your post.

I think it is more idealism than p*ss taking.

OP if things are as you say, walk now. You won't be able to change the way of a 20 year old staffer, boss could well have decided to placate her and won't cross her. As the 20 year old would make life an absolute living hell for the manager.

Unless you start placating the long term staffer, she will make life hell for you also, she has already started.

Find another job and get out now. In interviews tell employers it was only a temporary job covering holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

If she's there twenty years she's not going anywhere any time soon.

If you're annoyed with her after 8 days, imagine 8 years.

She sounds like a mad wagon. Get out and let someone else suffer it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Hologram

We only have your side of the story (what complaints and negatives in relation to you are there?) but that still sounds like there is an established dynamic that is difficult to break into. I would agree with others that it might be best to leave rather than risk being forced to do so due to not fitting in. Nothing to be ashamed of - it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Sorry but after reading this,I call bull**** on this,sounds more like a loony bin not a place of employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,516 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Clearly the bad atmosphere is due to you. You are in the only sane person in an insane workplace and they'd obviously be much happer with someone who joins in the madness. Go all in, or quit.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement