Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gorilla tape ok as rim tape @120psi?

Options
  • 15-07-2016 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

I presume gorilla tape is fine as rim tape, Ive used it for different jobs and think I understand its physical properties. has anyone else used it as rim tape? Im testing it out tomorrow, 110-120psi for rear

if it fails the wheel will go flat instantly, so want to double check its ok to use

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Will work no problem.I've also used electrical tape,2 layers,with no problems in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

just an update, its working fine

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....I've also used electrical tape....
    That reminds me of my childhood when money was scarce. We'd use it as bar tape also!

old tubes work great as bartape!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Will work no problem.I've also used electrical tape,2 layers,with no problems in the past.

I tried electrical tape when stuck and it did survive long (French ) mountain descents. Glue heated and tape shifted to burst tube on eyelets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I've used gorilla tape on a hillbilly tubeless conversion, it is still going strong. Electrical tape tends to not stick too well unless you put a bit of stretch in it first, and even then it is touch and go

puncture today(right before a race!), the tape slipped on its adhesive, probably the warm weather made it soft. (no brakes so that wasnt the cause)
    it moved enough to make one of the spoke holes too close to the edge, it was a latex tube.
    Ill stick to rim tape in future unless its a diy emergency

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

"I told you so". ^^

Fwiw, I now use Stans tape. It's light, strong and hasn't budged for me, including Pyrenees descents in 35 degrees. Also using latex tubes.

Advertisement