Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding jobs with a couple of hours' teaching per week.

Options
  • 15-07-2016 7:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭

I've recently started an online-based, remote-working job where I can pick my own hours. The hours aren't quite a full working week, and I'm interested in doing some mathematics teaching on the side, because it's something I enjoy and it's nice to interact with people from time to time, plus it looks good on the CV for when the current work dries up.
    If I want to stay in my hometown, I can pop in to the uni and ask to either teach a module or get some tutorial hours - but where would I look for similar jobs elsewhere ( preferably abroad)?

I would imagine the opportunities are there - unis/colleges often find lecturers with more teaching hours than they want, but it's unlikely that many people would be willing to, say, move to Spain to teach two hours a week...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

What qualifications, teaching or otherwise, do you have? Lecturers in universities would normally have a PhD and tutorials would be delivered by PhD students (this is just based on my own undergrad). You might have more luck in something like DCU's Maths Learning Centre. Again this was run by lecturers and postgrads but I think you're more likely to get work in something like that than a university hiring you to deliver a module. All of this based on your qualifications and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I have a maths PhD and three or four years' experience giving tutorials to first and second years in various areas of mathematics.
    I'm not a huge fan of working in Maths Learning Centres - too much chance of some pesky engineer popping in with icky calculus questions which I wouldn't be able to answer without doing some research...

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Ficheall wrote: »
    I'm not a huge fan of working in Maths Learning Centres - too much chance of some pesky engineer popping in with icky calculus questions which I wouldn't be able to answer without doing some research...

Probably best to have a re-think about your ideas of maths teaching then...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Not necessarily. I'll have a limited amount of time to spend teaching x material - it would be more effective if it were spent teaching an area I'm very familiar with, or have actually prepared material for.

Actually, hang on, I was thinking of a maths learning centre as a drop-in centre, though, I guess upon reflection there's no reason why this should be the case. I don't know what DCU's set-up is like. You are quite possibly correct. To clarify: I am not a fan of not knowing in advance what I am expected to teach on a given day.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

You would probably make a fortune with grinds and the new post primary maths curriculum at leaving cert. You should advertise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    You would probably make a fortune with grinds and the new post primary maths curriculum at leaving cert. You should advertise.

Be aware that the revenue commissioners are clamping down on this. I have heard of people getting caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

I'm sure no one was implying not informing revenue of private tuition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I'm sure no one was implying not informing revenue of private tuition.

It was the 'make a fortune' statement I was warning about.

Advertisement