Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autostart PC when plugged in

Options
  • 15-07-2016 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I need to power on a PC when it is plugged in and was wondering did anybody ever see this option in the BIOS. I have the
    power on after power loss option but this does not work if you shut windows down proper. It is basically so the power button
    does not need to pressed to turn pc on. Was wondering has anybody ever seen this option??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

tred6666 wrote: »
    I need to power on a PC when it is plugged in and was wondering did anybody ever see this option in the BIOS. I have the
    power on after power loss option but this does not work if you shut windows down proper. It is basically so the power button
    does not need to pressed to turn pc on. Was wondering has anybody ever seen this option??

So you shut down windows properly and then what?

Unplug it and then expect it to power up when you plug it back in?

I doubt there is a setting for that. I think the power on after power loss is the only option available, which I didn't think would do what you seem to want it to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tred6666

MMFITWGDV, the PC is in a cabinet so the guys turn off the AC Power (the weekend) and the UPS will shut down the PC. But when the guys turn the power back on they need to open the cabinet to press the power "on" button to start the PC. So I want a PC to autostart if AC power is applied.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Closest I've seen is the "boot scheduler" option in some HP systems (see here) which relies on Wake On LAN.

If the hardware supports it your best bet would probably actually be Wake On LAN, though you'd need to test that the behaviour was reliable after power loss (I've read of some implementations that don't work correctly if power is disconnected after a clean shutdown, for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Depending on if this cab contains other infrastructure or if there are always on devices:

Set up another device to send WOL packets every 20 minutes. If the machines up, they're ignored, if mains are down no response, and if mains are restored then the NIC will be alive and boot the machine. Only issue I foresee is if UPS issues a shutdown due to low power and then is "contradicted" by the WOL packet you could end up with an ungraceful shutdown.

Is there a reason why AC is being killed for the site? You're putting weekly duty cycles on your UPS which is kinda wasteful.

Advertisement