Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

log cabin timber

Options
  • 15-07-2016 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what timber would be best to build a log cabin for Irish weather and where can it be got?? Please and thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭timfromtang

mickdae86 wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me what timber would be best to build a log cabin for Irish weather and where can it be got?? Please and thanks

Whilst i can not "tell you" anything, i'd suggest that larch might suit being nice and rot resistant. It is available from small farm forest parcels where it is routinely removed after 7 to 20 years of growing alongside oak or beech as a nurse crop. Speak to the forestry companies in your area, you will get their numbers from their signs that they put on the little bits of forest they have planted at roadside sites.
    This larch i am speaking of grows quickly, 15 year old larch here is 8 to 14 inches in diameter at breast height.

best of luck with it.

Remember that a log cabin needs "dry feet and a good hat" hence dry stone foundation wall and good roof overhang on our wet island may be a good plan.

tim

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Log cabin build also needs proper joint connection and forming, if rough timber is being used.
    Prepped logs would have formed connections as in a kit build ect. Log layered formation would also have courses connected vertically by rebar.

And last but not least all openings would need windows and doors to be formed to allow for sliding arrangements as these close in height during the drying process of the timber.

Of course in the case of kit builds, timber would be kiln dried and treated, so not as critical for movement tolerences.

tim no 2;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

With the weather, this is what you'd be needing with all the flooding :

GtV6wu8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I'm guessing that the logs would need flats planed on top and bottom to get them to sit level on each other. ? How do they get away with no insulation in Scandinavia and Canada ? - is the wood alone a good enough insulator.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭timfromtang

recipio wrote: »
    I'm guessing that the logs would need flats planed on top and bottom to get them to sit level on each other. ? How do they get away with no insulation in Scandinavia and Canada ? - is the wood alone a good enough insulator.:confused:
    early cabins were built with hand tools, an axe etc, and i suspect there was little planing involved, you tube and other sources might help with the confusion, mosses and mud were used for chinking gaps i understand,
    tim

as for a level, a plumb bob, the 3,4,5 rule, and a coupla sticks can work miracles

tim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

recipio wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

There is a world of difference between machined timber and logs. ;) I see that a lot of cabins are built with a notched joint at the corners and then 'caulk' rammed into the gaps. Personally I think I'd invest in an electric planer and get the logs level ?

Advertisement