Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Loop 2016 with Stephen Roche

Options
  • 15-07-2016 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

The 2016 Leinster Loop with Stephen Roche, Ireland's premier charity cycle sportive takes place on Sunday, 14th August in south Kildare. Nominated as Cycling Ireland's best leisure event for the past four years, with all funds raised going to Breast Cancer Research and St Laurences'Community Complex. Always strongly support by Boardsies, we hope you can make it on 14th and will encourage others and spread the word.

On the evening before we will have a 12km family fun cycle, and this year a 25km Local History tour, with dramatic enactments by members of Griese Youth Theatre. A great way to learn about the site of Daniel O'Connell's largest mass meeting, and the early education of Shackleton, Edmund Burke and others, and much more. After the Saturday evening cycle there will be a free BBQ.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I look forward to this one every year it's a great day out. Even managed to make the website pics last year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Im not one for charity cycles/fred fests,but I'll be on this.So well organised,great charity cause,good route with some hills and loads of flat level roads,food before the start,and food plus ice lollies afterwards.Great day on the bike.Not to mention Stephen will pose for a picture with you,a true gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Very good event

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Can't make any sense of the elevation map on the site (using my mobile). Any other versions of it available? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Can't make any sense of the elevation map on the site (using my mobile). Any other versions of it available? :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/370451789

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

07Lapierre wrote: »

Cheers, that big one towards the beginning I remember alright. Did it on the hybrid last time out (2 years back) so hopefully its a bit easier this year. The last 30k was hell with a headwind pretty much the entire way. Definitely one ive been looking forward to doing again though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Thinking of doing this but only back cycling 3 weeks after 8 weeks out with a severely torn calf. I did an 80km at the weekend which included the Balkill Road in Howth. Am I kidding myself thinking that I would be able to do the Leinster Loop after so little training? I completed the WW200 last year in 8 hours so I am not afraid of the climbing but the injury has knocked my confidence a bit. Should I aim for a sportive later in the year after I have more miles in the legs or should I just go for it and suffer it out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

if you do the 50k and the 130K can you get the arms warmers and the bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭BGT

Absolutely, all you need to do is leave at 9.30 am sharp, complete the 130km in 2 hours, and be ready for the 50 km cycle leaving at 11.30! ;)

All joking aside, the arm warmers are thermal ones with silicon grippers, and are an excellent offering considering entry fee for the 130 and 90 routes is €30. Similarly the Loop branded tacx bottles are a top quality job and 50km entry is €25.

The new jerseys are selling very well, well priced at €40, considering they are Spin 11's finest Italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭BGT

Just to update you all, on the event coming up this weekend.

Plans are coming together really well, and on-line registrations are going extremely well. On-line entrants will receive a goodie bag (with thermal arm warmers (130/90 kms) or a Tacx bidon (50 kms) (subject to availability) and be in a draw to win a week for 2 riders in Stephen Roche's cycling camp in Mallorca.

On-line registration will close at 11.00 am on Saturday morning. Walk-in registrations are welcome (but won't get the goodie bag). Sign on and registration desk will be open from 4.00 pm on Saturday, and from 8.00 am on Sunday.

This is the 7th Leinster Loop, its entirely voluntary and raises funds for Breast Cancer Research and our local community complex. Stephen Roche and Kildare legend John Doyle will be there, as will Emma O'Reilly.

Hope as many of you as possible will make it, and please spread the word!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

07Lapierre wrote: »

is the 90k route mapped on Strava? I had a search but couldn't find it

greendom wrote: »
    is the 90k route mapped on Strava? I had a search but couldn't find it

Here's mine from last year. Route same this year. I think.

https://www.strava.com/activities/370389331

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

bazermc wrote: »
    Here's mine from last year. Route same this year. I think.

https://www.strava.com/activities/370389331

Many thanks for that. Were there any food or water stops on the course last year. From the looks of things there aren't any this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Hope everyone doing this tomorrow enjoys it and gets around safe. If its like last years it will be a great event.

greendom wrote: »
    Many thanks for that. Were there any food or water stops on the course last year. From the looks of things there aren't any this year.

Full spread Greendom, think I gained weight over the course

Just home, great event as normal. My fifth year in a row doing it now, crowds not as big this year doing it, as it has been in prior years.

I also completed the 90k in sub 3 hours so was delighted with that as the 90k last year took me 3.5 hours and nearly 4 hours year before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

That was great today - great route (did the 130k) with some very challenging climbs. Punched above my weight and just about managed to hang on to the front group all the way round.
    Can't understand how this event doesn't win the best sportive award - it really is incredibly well organised.

Many thanks to all involved, all the marshals out on the junctions were brilliant, and the guys at the foodstop so friendly. Well done to all :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

andy69 wrote: »
    Can't understand how this event doesn't win the best sportive award - it really is incredibly well organised.

I think it has one an award for best sportive but if it hasn't as you say well deserved.

I couldn't make it out today unfortunately as the other half had a hung over head from a hen. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Did the 130km.Very very well organised as usual.The ladies doing the tea/coffee are 1st class,quick and friendly.Marshals on every corner are also brilliant,they do there best to ensure the traffic is stopped so the riders can roll through safely.
    The only thing thats a bit sketchy is on the homeward bound bit were you catch the slower riders doing the shorter routes,while 95% will keep left,some want to cycle in the middle of the road at 25kph!This forces faster groups unnecessarily over the white line.I dont blame the organisers for this by the way,they cant control riders acting the goat.
    Loved the day out,I hope the charities made money and roll on next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Did the 130km.Very very well organised as usual.The ladies doing the tea/coffee are 1st class,quick and friendly.Marshals on every corner are also brilliant,they do there best to ensure the traffic is stopped so the riders can roll through safely.
    The only thing thats a bit sketchy is on the homeward bound bit were you catch the slower riders doing the shorter routes,while 95% will keep left,some want to cycle in the middle of the road at 25kph!This forces faster groups unnecessarily over the white line.I dont blame the organisers for this by the way,they cant control riders acting the goat.
    Loved the day out,I hope the charities made money and roll on next year.

Good to hear that the event went well; it is a very popular and worthwhile sportive on the calendar.
    As for cyclists riding in the middle of the road, no fault of the organisers; just ignorant people on bikes. You meet them everywhere. But the vast majority of club cyclists I think respect rules and understand how to ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Did it today myself. 4:40 for the 130 . I'm goosed after it.

Well run again, leg massage - win! I was fit to dilo it again by the time yer man was done on my legs.

More food than you could eat, well marshalled and overall a great day. Photo with Stephen Roche, he was all chat in fairness and talked to anyone who wanted to.

Did it with a buddy there today, we were on our own from tullow, got no relief at all with a group, but great sense of achievement when you've dragged your arse home under your own steam.

Be back next year for sure. Maybe they'll freshen the route a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Good to hear that the event went well; it is a very popular and worthwhile sportive on the calendar.
    As for cyclists riding in the middle of the road, no fault of the organisers; just ignorant people on bikes. You meet them everywhere. But the vast majority of club cyclists I think respect rules and understand how to ride.

No, they're not ignorant, they're just novice riders out for a nice Sunday spin, not their fault at all and then u have big groups racing towards the finish. I agree there does need to be different routes..

JK.BMC wrote: »

There was a big group from a big club who stopped to regroup after the big descent today, the way they rejoined was dog rough. I was coming down pegging it, saw them on the left and pulled out to the white line, as you do, just in case. Glad u did cos it was mayhem as they tried to take off together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Did the 90km today. The Leinster Loop was my first ever sportive in 2014, after I had taken up cycling, and I'd forgotten what a great event it was. So well organised and run. Yer man on the mike (Junior?) is great craic.

It's definitely one I will do every year if i can. All the marshalls and volunteers are great! They really do get into it, proper smiley happy people! :) and the venue is great too.

I was down for the 130km but have had a bad few weeks on the bike/health so decided I'd rather give the 90km a good lash rather than "complete" the 130km.

Managed the 90 in under 3 hours with a 29.9 average so I was very happy with that. I gave it as much sox as I could, when I could.
    I hung on to lead groups for most of the time, until we hit lumpy stuff! Getting "back on" was proper tough!

The worst part for me (bar Cherry flavoured gels) was when we lined up for the start, and I was pretty much at the front. There were loads of people taking photos and videos. I had to hold in my belly for bleedin' ages! :pac:

Well done to everyone who made the day happen, it was great craic and you did yourselves proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

Any update on the Wexford Wheeler?? who went flying at the water stop, took a bad one.

Excellent event again. Struggled after food stop but got going again last 25.

Huge respect to the Bikeology guys doing it on those bikes..

mgray wrote: »
    Any update on the Wexford Wheeler?? who went flying at the water stop, took a bad one.

Excellent event again. Struggled after food stop but got going again last 25.

Huge respect to the Bikeology guys doing it on those bikes..

They had tyres you wouldn't put on a tractor! I passed them going up the hill before Castledermot, they were tipping away!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Bravo organisers excellent event again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭borntobike

One of the best events anywhere in Ireland every year.

It was lively enough today - finished 130km in 3hrs 53min we got a great group of about 25 after the food stop.

250 volunteers is massive and long may it continue

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Having done the 90k the last 2 years I thought id tackle the 130k today and wow its such a step up.
    Done the tour of Kildare 110k last week,it too was a doddle by comparison.

I felt sick the last 20k which made it all the harder, delighted to have it under my belt now.

Big thanks to all the marshals,they were fantastic,even spotted Kildare GAA servant of many a year Padraig O Neil marshalling out near old Leighlin,ofcourse the event is run by his club st Laurances.

https://www.strava.com/activities/675796361

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

mgray wrote: »

That was me.

Bike's fine. Severe bruising on right hip, a bit of road rash. A surgeon and a paramedic were on the scene and took every possible precaution, spinal board, and off to St. Luke's for x-Ray etc.

Thanks to all who helped, and to the organisers for minding me bike, contacting the missus etc. Serious kudos to St. Luke's ED, super efficient.

rb

Advertisement