Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance Education - Green Cert Course - Forum

Options
  • 15-07-2016 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi all

Just thought it might be useful for people to have a discussion forum for sharing of questions, confusions or anything really for anyone taking part in the Distance Education - Green Cert Course

I know there's bound to be loads of questions regarding the course and assignments so hopefully this builds into something that can help everyone taking part.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Ky Abu wrote: »
    Hi all

Just thought it might be useful for people to have a discussion forum for sharing of questions, confusions or anything really for anyone taking part in the Distance Education - Green Cert Course

I know there's bound to be loads of questions regarding the course and assignments so hopefully this builds into something that can help everyone taking part.

Funny enough, I got a reminder from teagasc about the green cert today,
    I had applied last year, but had to let it go, as had other priorities,
    It said to reply before next week, my intentions, otherwise I be took off the 'interest' list,
    Maybe others, have got the same this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭cjmc11

Just completed the online green cert last month, haven't got the actual cert yet, presume assignments still have to be corrected, anyone who has done this course in the past, how long did it take after finishing the course to receive the cert?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I just finished mine last month too. All my original tutors have left and been replaced so we weren't given any idea when we'd have a result either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Clickclack99

Hi all, I wondered if anyone had any experience with missing any sessions over the duration of the course?
    I might have to travel with work at different stages over the next year meaning I might miss a session or two. If you keep up to date with coursework etc do they give allowances? Or do they ad these days on at the end meaning you finish a few weeks later?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

cjmc11 wrote: »
    Just completed the online green cert last month, haven't got the actual cert yet, presume assignments still have to be corrected, anyone who has done this course in the past, how long did it take after finishing the course to receive the cert?
    Thanks

Would you mind me asking what does the 'Online' course entail. I can only see details of the Distance Education course....is this the same thing? Probably need to do the Green cert but I work full time off farm and so days off for classes etc. would be hard to arrange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Clickclack99

Parishlad wrote: »
    cjmc11 wrote: »
    Thanks

Would you mind me asking what does the 'Online' course entail. I can only see details of the Distance Education course....is this the same thing? Probably need to do the Green cert but I work full time off farm and so days off for classes etc. would be hard to arrange.
    There is no "online" course - but the distance course is often called the online course.

Hi all, I wondered if anyone had any experience with missing any sessions over the duration of the course?
    I might have to travel with work at different stages over the next year meaning I might miss a session or two. If you keep up to date with coursework etc do they give allowances? Or do they ad these days on at the end meaning you finish a few weeks later?
    Thanks

Just let them know if you can't attend. My tutors were very sound about it and provided you gave them notice they'd let you come in on another day if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭capslock88

I finished it recently and found they were ok with missing or swapping some days depending on what you missed...you had to do missed practicals and exams during the week in july before you finish...you do have to hit all the discussion groups all right one way or the other...some in our group had to go to teagasc farm walks to make up these as they couldn't come on the alternate days during the year...overall, the more you've missed means you'll have more to tidy up that final week...if you're up to date with all practicals, exams and assignments then you'll be done quite slick at the end week(ie mon-wed) otherwise you'll have more to do but it'd only be an extra day or 2 at the worst...(mon-fri)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭nqtfarmer

capslock88 wrote: »
    I finished it recently and found they were ok with missing or swapping some days depending on what you missed...you had to do missed practicals and exams during the week in july before you finish...you do have to hit all the discussion groups all right one way or the other...some in our group had to go to teagasc farm walks to make up these as they couldn't come on the alternate days during the year...overall, the more you've missed means you'll have more to tidy up that final week...if you're up to date with all practicals, exams and assignments then you'll be done quite slick at the end week(ie mon-wed) otherwise you'll have more to do but it'd only be an extra day or 2 at the worst...(mon-fri)
    Where hdid you do your green cert capslock
    That scenario would be ideal for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Des1988

I'm currently doing the green cert distance education, attend college every 4 weeks, on day 8 of 22 and have my first set of exams done, finding it fairly handy so far tbh, biggest pain is taking time off work, as far as I'm aware because it is distance education and the only reason we are attending the college is to be assessed on the material in the text books or on moodle so if you miss a day we have been told you will have to repeat it once the course is complete but they are flexible in allowing you to attend other groups if you are unable to attend you designated groups day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Anyone taken part in the discussion group aspect yet? Is it a discussion group with those in your class or with other farmers?

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Anyone taken part in the discussion group aspect yet? Is it a discussion group with those in your class or with other farmers?

Your class goes to a farm and you stand around in the cold for a couple of hours while the farmer tells you about his slurry management or grassland management or whatever the purpose of the visit is. Wear 2 pairs of socks is my advice:pac:

Advertisement